Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 12:01 PM

9 posts, read 22,675 times

Advertisements

One thing I rarely see anymore is kids riding a bike. When I was 6-16 back in the olden days I drove my bike everywhere and every day. Now I rarely see kids riding bikes anymore. I rarely see kids outside but that is a different post.

Do your teenage kids ride a bike in the neighborhood? Is it common?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 12:10 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
To the beach they ride their bikes, but around town mostly they use longboards.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:20 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
Yep, they ride them all over the place, into the city, into the countryside, to work, to friends. They really like them.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:21 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
My kids rode their bikes everywhere in NJ and FL. Here in GA the roads are not conducive to it. The roads are winding, narrow, hilly and without shoulders in many spots. But, the bikes have gone to college with them, so hopefully they'll get more use out of them, even though they also have cars.

Bike riding here is usually done at one of the many Greenways or mountain bike trails, maintained by the towns.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
In my neighborhood the grade school kids ride their bikes for fun but of course nowhere else except the neighborhood. I do see some kids on bikes at their elementary schools and I do see some parents riding bikes with their kids to and from school. Really a nice sight. Rarely see teens on bikes but maybe some do ride to the high school.

We are a college town and the roads are full of bikes all year round some for transportation but it seems like most for recreation (apparent from the way they dress).

Old 08-11-2012, 12:42 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internal-logic View Post
One thing I rarely see anymore is kids riding a bike. When I was 6-16 back in the olden days I drove my bike everywhere and every day. Now I rarely see kids riding bikes anymore. I rarely see kids outside but that is a different post.

With the new "cycling" sub forum open now I'd bet that you'd get more response if this thread were moved there.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:39 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,798 times
In our town, kids ride all over the place. Many of them ride to school, sports practices, etc... my 12 yr. old has worn out 2 sets of tires on her bike so far. This usually ends around age 15 or so when most of the kids get their licenses.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:33 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internal-logic View Post

Speaking not as a parent, but as somebody who was a teenager not long ago, and rode my bike, I would say that it was not particularly common to ride your bike often in the early teen years, but most teens at least had a bike. Biking was all but abandoned by most of my age cohorts when they got their licenses, mostly at 16. I live/d in a mix of rural and suburban land which is amenable to cycling about six months out of the year, but not to get anywhere.

My sister did not bike at all during her high school or middle school years, despite me (7 years older) biking all the time while at the same time owning a car and license.

My brother biked a very small amount during his teenage years, but had other methods (dirt bike, ATV, snowmobile, etc.) of transportation at his disposal.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:43 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
My son biked all over the place until he got his DL. Once the initial excitement of that subsided (ie he figured out gas was expensive), he switched to a skateboard for shorter trips. My daughter not as much - her friends were either walking distance or too far to bike. Our neighborhood was very heavily weighted toward boys when they were growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting