Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 07:52 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Why is he more deserving of it than you? You are entitled to hold in esteem whatever you like. And if postition does it for you, then great. I don't hold ANY esteem for postition whatsoever. Character, integrity, uintelligence, charity, forebearance. Yes. Position? No.
Because he is the chosen leader of this country. I'm not even in the running. His position alone commands respect. On a personal note, I don't like the man but that's irrelevent. He is the chosen leader of this country and that is a respectable position.

So, you don't think that the majority of people choosing someone to run the country makes them respectable? There has to be something about him that is respectable to get voted into office. Or do you think voters are just idiots who vote people who aren't respectable into office?

Whether I like him or not, I do not consider myself to be his equal. While I think he owes it to me to be polite, his is the respectable position. I hate his politics but that's another matter.

I also respect the queen of England, the pope and lots of other people because of their position. That position means something.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If you were talking and the police officer who just pulled you over cut you off, would you cut him off in return?
No. But it has nothing to do with respect. It has to do with the fact that he could abuse his power and pull me out of my car and make me sit on the curb with my hands cuffed behind my back.

I'm still thinking about cutting off the President. It would probably depend on what was being discussed and whether or not he said something like, "I don't care if Delta Team isn't ready I'm going to authorize this for tonight whether the Joint Chiefs like it or not."

Old 08-16-2012, 07:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No. But it has nothing to do with respect. It has to do with the fact that he could abuse his power and pull me out of my car and make me sit on the curb with my hands cuffed behind my back.
Yup.
Don't much argue with wanks who have guns.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh it has everything to do with respect. You respect his authority. Yes, he could do those things. They come with the POSITION and what you call abuse of power may not be deemed as such by those whose opinions on the matter matter more than yours.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:02 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Because he is the chosen leader of this country. I'm not even in the running. His position alone commands respect. On a personal note, I don't like the man but that's irrelevent. He is the chosen leader of this country and that is a respectable position.

So, you don't think that the majority of people choosing someone to run the country makes them respectable?
No. Well let us actually assume that the majority of the people DID choose him unlike say, Bush, or any othe president who stole their election. All that says is somethign about the majority of people. Not him.

Quote:
There has to be something about him that is respectable to get voted into office. Or do you think voters are just idiots who vote people who aren't respectable into office?
I don't have any knowledge of what people base their election choices on. I am sure it is going to be wildly different across the population.

Quote:
Whether I like him or not, I do not consider myself to be his equal. While I think he owes it to me to be polite, his is the respectable position. I hate his politics but that's another matter.
What does equality have to do with it?

Quote:
I also respect the queen of England, the pope and lots of other people because of their position. That position means something.
How the hell can you respect a Nazi conservative evil Pope simply because he wears a robe?

Old 08-16-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Oh it has everything to do with respect. You respect his authority. Yes, he could do those things. They come with the POSITION and what you call abuse of power may not be deemed as such by those whose opinions on the matter matter more than yours.

Let us review the definition of respect:

Noun:A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
Verb:Admire (someone or something) deeply, as a result of their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

I don't admire authority. I comply out of self interest and self interest alone.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Let us review the definition of respect:

Noun:A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
Verb:Admire (someone or something) deeply, as a result of their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

I don't admire authority. I comply out of self interest and self interest alone.
I'm not sure where you're getting your definition but here is the one from dictionary.com It's not about admiration. One does not need to admire someone they respect. I'm thinking #4 and #5 apply to respect of position, which is what we are talking about here.

"
re·spect

   /rɪˈspɛkt/ Show Spelled[ri-spekt] Show IPA
noun 1. a particular, detail, or point (usually preceded by in ): to differ in some respect.

2. relation or reference: inquiries with respect to a route.

3. esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability: I have great respect for her judgment.

4. deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly.

5. the condition of being esteemed or honored: to be held in respect. "

Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
No. Well let us actually assume that the majority of the people DID choose him unlike say, Bush, or any othe president who stole their election. All that says is somethign about the majority of people. Not him.

I don't have any knowledge of what people base their election choices on. I am sure it is going to be wildly different across the population.

What does equality have to do with it?

How the hell can you respect a Nazi conservative evil Pope simply because he wears a robe?
Well, we've gotten our reference to Nazi's .

I respect his position. I respect him as the leader of his church. (I'm not catholic BTW. My mother's divorce got us kicked out of the church so it has nothing to do with my belief system.) He has been placed into a position of power where his opnion carries a lot of weight. I don't have to agree with the catholic church to respect his position.

Equality has nothing to do with respect. There is a natural inequality to positions where one holds a position of respect and the other doesn't. For example, in an emergency situation, the president of the united states would be wisked away to safety long before I would. In fact, they wouldn't blink about leaving me to die. I'm not worth as much. Ditto for the pope, the queen of England...keep going...

Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Well, we've gotten our reference to Nazi's .
He was a member of the Nazi youth organization when he was young. I think it is interesting to use him as an example! He is exactly an example of someone not (ooops) "worthy" of respect. While self interest may require the deference that is a latter part of one definition of respect, he sure is not worthy of any esteem or admiration in my book.

Quote:
I respect his position. I respect him as the leader of his church. (I'm not catholic BTW. My mother's divorce got us kicked out of the church so it has nothing to do with my belief system.)
Incidentally, your mother's divorce did not kick YOU out of the church.

Last edited by somebodynew; 08-16-2012 at 08:45 AM..

Old 08-16-2012, 08:34 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,519 times
Quote:
We're not talking about basic politeness here. We're talking about respect, which is to hold one in esteem. I'm polite with the grocery store clerk because it's the right thing to do but I don't owe them respect just for existing. I owe it to them to treat them with basic human dignity. Anything beyond that is earned through accomplishment or position.

I expect the mayor of my city to treat me with dignity but I don't expect him to respect me. I, however, do respect him. He is in a position of authority. He has earned respect by gaining that position. Now, he can lose it through his actions but he's owed it if he doesn't.
We are talking about basic politeness here. The child in the OP was speaking, and the grandmother cut HIM off, not the other way around. Regardless of age, position, or authority, the POLITE thing to do would to have been either let the kid finish his thought, or apologize and let him continue after rudely cutting him off like that. I think everyone, adult or child, deserves that much.

Respecting someone because of their position is something totally separate. I can respect someone's position and authority, but I STILL expect them not to be rude or impolite to me. And simply holding a position of authority does not necessarily deserve respect. Conducting yourself in a manner that is worthy of respect goes a lot farther, and that includes treating ALL people in a courteous fashion. The boy may learn to not speak around older people, but that does not mean he respects them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting