Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,511,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Ok, I'll read your links after the kids go to bed tonight, but I have to tell you it's already suspect as it comes from the Institute For American Values and lifesite. Hardly peer-reviewed and disinterested sources.
Ah yes, David Blankenhorn, the nuttiest of all the hating nuts. Pfffft!

Also worth noting Marquardt holds a Master’s in Divinity, and Clark has no published credentials. No bias there!

Old 08-14-2012, 04:28 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,511,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
More likely, those who seek donor conception have a broken moral compass to begin with that isn't good for marriage.
Quote:
The "parents" of donor conceived children - scare quotes used because they are not exhibiting parental love - create the problem to begin with.
You are way, way out of line.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:31 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,861,439 times
Quote:
Nonsense. Those identity issues exist prior to the adoption. The children have already lost their biological parents somehow, and their future adoptive parents had nothing to do with that. On the contrary, they are doing their best to compensate for the loss.

The "parents" of donor conceived children - scare quotes used because they are not exhibiting parental love - create the problem to begin with.
Many adoptive children still have living parents. Their parents may have given them up or had them taken away because their "parents" are abusive or in jail for criminal activities or addicted to drugs.

I think if you gave most kids a choice between a donor sperm dad or a dad in jail for the rest of his life for murder or rape, they'd go for the former.

Do you really think about anything you post on this topic? Or just "write" whatever silly assertion you've found on some nutty Catholic website somewhere?

Old 08-14-2012, 04:32 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,219,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Many adoptive children still have living parents. Their parents may have given them up or had them taken away because their "parents" are abusive or in jail for criminal activies or addicted to drugs.

I think if you gave most kids a choice between a donor sperm dad or a dad in jail for the rest of his life for murder or rape, they'd go for the former.

Do you really think about anything you post on this topic? Or just "write" whatever silly assertion you've found on some nutty Catholic website somewhere?
No, no he does not ever. I guess people got bored with wp in the politics section so he decided to give us the joy of his smiling face.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:33 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,584,629 times
Quote:
....whatever silly assertion you've found on some nutty Catholic website somewhere?
Just a friendly reminder that the religion forum is over here.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Donor sperm is used to solve a medical problem.
"Solve a medical problem?"

Donor sperm is used to create a human being.

And yes, creating a human being is an act with a moral dimension.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Just a friendly reminder that the religion forum is over here.
And yet you seem to think it's over here. Funny that.

I have a close friend who has a daughter conceived via donor egg after cancer treatment knocked out her ovaries. I find your assertion that she's not a parent to the child she gave birth to utterly ridiculous. Being a parent is about far more than simple biology or genetics. Anyone who believes otherwise has never been a parent and should ideally refrain from breeding.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
"Solve a medical problem?"

Donor sperm is used to create a human being.

And yes, creating a human being is an act with a moral dimension.
Lack of sperm production is a medical condition often caused by factors such as mild cystic fibrosis. Fertility is biology not theology. Teenagers groping in the dark can also be used to create a human being. Rape can be used to create a human being.

Unlike those actions, donor sperm is often a consensual act by two mature adults. It is not your business to judge their actions or to try and make the child they parent feel bad in the name of your religious dogma. Find a more productive hobby.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Funny that I have not made a single religious argument in this thread. Nor have I appealed to the teaching of the Church. It's all in the fever swamps of your bigoted imagination.

You want to make this a religious topic so that it's easier for you not to think about.

Quote:
Being a parent is about far more than simple biology or genetics.
Quite right. Being a parent is about loving your children, doing right by them, and wanting the best for them. Donor conception fails on that count.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:53 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,219,859 times
Quote:

I have a close friend who has a daughter conceived via donor egg after cancer treatment knocked out her ovaries. I find your assertion that she's not a parent to the child she gave birth to utterly ridiculous. Being a parent is about far more than simple biology or genetics. Anyone who believes otherwise has never been a parent and should ideally refrain from breeding.
It's no surprise really eleanora as is this is the same person who thinks the usa should be a christian run only country, and that all women were happier before the advent of feminism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting