Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,784 times

Advertisements

Ok...here goes. My 18 year old son moved out 5 weeks ago and has gone to live with his girlfriends family.They live in a very rough area and are known to the police for various reasons. The girlfriend stepmum is sending me abusive texts on my sons mobile , accusing me of not caring and being a lousy parent. She is doing the same to my sons friends..trying to isolate him from friends and family. I am trying to keep in touch..but when messages come through..not sure who they are coming from. Am seriously worried about what is going on..what can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 AM

670 posts, read 905,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju64 View Post
Ok...here goes. My 18 year old son moved out 5 weeks ago and has gone to live with his girlfriends family.They live in a very rough area and are known to the police for various reasons. The girlfriend stepmum is sending me abusive texts on my sons mobile , accusing me of not caring and being a lousy parent. She is doing the same to my sons friends..trying to isolate him from friends and family. I am trying to keep in touch..but when messages come through..not sure who they are coming from. Am seriously worried about what is going on..what can I do?
There is another forum on this site where people post about their family problems and hysteria. You might want to try it.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Hi Juju64...Is there no other way other than texting that you can contact your son?

Old 08-17-2012, 09:53 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Default mmm...

Quote:
maybe send a nice text inviting him to dinner....maybe something like 'Friday night, fried chicken and mashed potatoes, should I set another place?'...that might break the ice. Other than that, he's going to have to make his own mistakes and either survive them...or not. You did the best you could.
Koale

Old 08-17-2012, 10:34 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Ignore it and just be the best and most loving mum you can be. Otherwise all you do is lower yourself to their gutter life.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:05 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
How about actually CALLING him and TALKING to him?!

Old 08-18-2012, 03:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
sounds like this woman is a trouble maker and she is happy to have another pot to stir. What was the relationship with your son before he moved? keep communication open but try it on the phone.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:26 AM

331 posts, read 603,442 times
Quote:

^^^^Be there for him as much as he allows, without being pushy. Inviting him to dinner is a good idea, maybe adding his g/f to the invite would possibly help him to come over as well.
A few questions:
* Does he still keep communication with you or come around(it doesn't sound like it)
* How was ya'lls relationship before he moved out?
* Do you and the g/f get along?
* Have you thought about going over there and speaking to him?

In the end, he is *legally* as adult and there isn't much you can do, besides continue to let him know that you love him and are there for him. Keep praying that he is safe and makes the best decisions for his life.

Best wishes to you and your son!!

Old 09-26-2012, 12:06 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Who is paying for your son's phone? If it's you, I think you should have it cut off ASAP.

That'll force him to either call you or drop by to see you. After you talk with him, tell him that he can have his phone back under the condition that he not abuse it by sending or allowing someone else to send abusive texts to anyone. Then, as someone else suggested, invite him to share a home cooked meal with you and let him bring his girlfriend if he wants to.

I would not get involved with that nutty stepmum nor would I talk negatively about her to your son or to his girlfriend. Hopefully your son will figure out for himself that she's bad news.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:16 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
juju64...how's everthing going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting