Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:02 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
And that would underscore her immaturity, would it not?

You have to wonder why her speech had to be vetted before hand. That suggests issues either with this student or with previous valedictorians that the school was trying to avoid this time around. If she was told that she should not use curse words, she should not use them, even something as benign as "hell". To tell the administration she was going to say "heck" in order to get approval to give the speech and then say "hell" instead was dishonest, and I do not believe it was done in the "heat of the moment" at all.
Even if it was, why couldn't she simply say "I'm sorry, I got caught up in the moment and used hell instead of heck"? Because that wouldn't get her on the Today show....

I think it's ridiculous what gets press these days. I really do. Putting aside the word hell and it's appropriateness or lack thereof to some people, she gave them a printed speech, said something other than what she wrote. If she intended to use the word "hell" she should have had that in the printed version. If she intended to use the word heck but got caught up in the moment, it is really that terrible to simply say "Sorry about that, got caught up in the moment"?

Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Even if it was, why couldn't she simply say "I'm sorry, I got caught up in the moment and used hell instead of heck"? Because that wouldn't get her on the Today show....

I think it's ridiculous what gets press these days. I really do. Putting aside the word hell and it's appropriateness or lack thereof to some people, she gave them a printed speech, said something other than what she wrote. If she intended to use the word "hell" she should have had that in the printed version. If she intended to use the word heck but got caught up in the moment, it is really that terrible to simply say "Sorry about that, got caught up in the moment"?
I'm sure she would have said sorry. But the school decided to make a power play of it by withholding the diploma until they got a written apology. It's a bit stupid to try a power play when you no longer have any power.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:33 AM

37,098 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post

Yes, but I do not think she got "caught up in the moment." I think she said exactly what she intended to say.

Edited to add:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz24IkCLe81

It was deliberate. The fact that she discussed it with classmates indicates she knew she would be thumbing her nose at the administration.

"The script for the teenager's speech - inspired by the film Eclipse: The Twilight Saga - had been given to the school in advance of the ceremony.
It included the word 'heck' but in the moments leading up to the ceremony she said she decided to change it to 'hell' instead.
'Right before I got on stage is when I talked it over with my classmates and the ones I had talked to were like no go ahead and say it!' she told NBC."

Perhaps the saddest thing is that she has nothing she considers more inspirational than a Twilight Saga movie. Perhaps that is why she does not know what she wants to be if and when she grows up.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 08-22-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 11:44 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, but I do not think she got "caught up in the moment." I think she said exactly what she intended to say.
That isn't what she says but I am sure you know better .........

Interestingly, the Prague High School athletic teams are known as the "Red Devils" and the school's mascot dresses to fit the theme. I guess the Principal doesn't do irony.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
She is just lucky she doesn't live in Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan. They stone or behead people for such behavior.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
That isn't what she says but I am sure you know better .........
Did you see my last link?

Kaitlin:

"Right before I got on stage is when I talked it over with my classmates and the ones I had talked to were like no go ahead and say it!" she told NBC."

Old 08-22-2012, 02:12 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
"Mature" or not, sometimes people/institutions do need to be told where to stick it.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
"Mature" or not, sometimes people/institutions do need to be told where to stick it.
I have been unable to find a video of her entire speech. I was hoping someone would have it up on YouTube, but apparently not. it would be nice to hear the whole thing.

If you defy authority you need to be ready to accept the consequences.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
18 year olds are immature.
I know plenty of eighteen year olds (and many who are younger than that) who are more mature than this girl. They hold jobs, some are even rearing children.

If she is valedictorian material, I would hold her to a higher standard anyway.

If I were the school superintendent, I would just eliminate having a valedictorian at all. No student speeches next year. Recognize those who have academic achievements when their names are called, allow them to cross the stage and get their diplomas, all done. The kids who are in the running for valedictorian this year can thank Kaitlin for screwing it up for them, because, like, she discussed it with her classmates and they told her to, like, go ahead and do it.

By the way, the school has less than 400 students in grades nine through twelve. I wonder how rigorous her curriculum was. Nowhere have I seen a mention of any AP courses, just the 4.0 GPA.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
No idea about the rigor of her curriculum, but the school she is going to is Southwestern Oklahoma State University. The school only requires a 2.7 high school GPA from any HS in Oklahoma, a minimum act of 20 or SAT of 940 and the Oklahoma HS requirements are only 15 units (there is a pdf on the college website that tells what that includes). Her school does have a relatively high percentage of kids taking APs, but who knows how many pass the exams with a 3 or better?

Her school ranks as avg among Oklahoma High Schools according to US News. It gets a Bronze national rating.

Quote:
The AP® participation rate at Prague High School is 17 percent. The student body makeup is 57 percent male and 43 percent female, and the total minority enrollment is 20 percent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting