Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:45 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
Is there supposed to be a winner in this debate? or is the dead horse simply never gonna be satisfied?

just askin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Every adult at a church does not necessarily follow that religion or denomination. I went to a temple without being Jewish. I went to Mass before becoming Catholic, etc.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Forcing an atheist to go to Church is purposeless.
There are activities and traditions that the church does that atheist do not agree on. What's the purpose of going to church if you do not participate, not believe/agree with what's being taught? Atheist do not believe in God, so who are they praying to?
As somebody said earlier, I think it's mainly about parental authority/family tradition.
Again, the whole believing in God is based on faith. Some have faith others don't.
Parenting should be teaching and understanding when it comes to things such as religion,just because it's tradition,does not justify a reason why you should make someone, who is not a believer.
To compare going to school/doing chores to religion is irrelevant.
You need an education, with an education,you better your chances at being successful in life. You need to do chores,it teaches you neatness, how to be presentable and getting you use to a routine of working which should help you in the job world.
Yet, in an Atheist mind, what does that teach you? Nothing. Why? Because they don't believe in what's being taught.
The issue is often teens will flip their beliefs from month to month so you never can tell how serious they are :-P. My best friend was a jew *by birth*, a Buddhist, a wiccan, a jew, a agnostic,a general pagan, and an atheist all in the span of 3 1/2 years. You also have to understand that for the very religous not going is like them failing you since they trully believe that your soul is at risk, and don't want to say they didn't make every opportunity. Of course it's counterproductive with a true atheist since they usually end up resenting it.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:30 AM

Also for the people who say it isn't harmful to go consider the other alternative. How would you personally feel if you were forced to sit down and endure a believe system you didn't agree with? I think often people forget that they would have an issue with that if they were the ones being forced.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:04 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Also for the people who say it isn't harmful to go consider the other alternative. How would you personally feel if you were forced to sit down and endure a believe system you didn't agree with? I think often people forget that they would have an issue with that if they were the ones being forced.
I answered this one earlier up thread. I think the manner of "forcing" makes a difference. It would have been my preference at the time not to attend Mass, yet I think there were upsides as well, including being really clear on what I disagreed with and why by the time I was an adult. Not the way I am choosing to raise my own kids, but I don't know that "forcing" one's child to attend religious services of the parents' faith is all bad.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I answered this one earlier up thread. I think the manner of "forcing" makes a difference. It would have been my preference at the time not to attend Mass, yet I think there were upsides as well, including being really clear on what I disagreed with and why by the time I was an adult. Not the way I am choosing to raise my own kids, but I don't know that "forcing" one's child to attend religious services of the parents' faith is all bad.
I think it depends on the reason for it east. If you want to foster a teaching of social responsibility by using the church as a foundation to learn about charitable works it's good. I also think to teach about a familial tradition it can be beneficial up to a point. I think however the argument "We go to church in this house" shows it's more a power issue,rather than anything logical.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:12 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
I think it depends on the reason for it east. If you want to foster a teaching of social responsibility by using the church as a foundation to learn about charitable works it's good. I also think to teach about a familial tradition it can be beneficial up to a point. I think however the argument "We go to church in this house" shows it's more a power issue,rather than anything logical.
I can agree with that. For the kids in my family, my mom framed it both as something we had to do out of respect for the house rules, and more importantly, as a way to make an informed decision wrt our own spiritual belief and development. I imagine I would have resented it more if that latter point and the discussions that ensued from it hadn't been part of the equation.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:01 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Quote:
The issue is often teens will flip their beliefs from month to month so you never can tell how serious they are :-P. My best friend was a jew *by birth*, a Buddhist, a wiccan, a jew, a agnostic,a general pagan, and an atheist all in the span of 3 1/2 years. You also have to understand that for the very religous not going is like them failing you since they trully believe that your soul is at risk, and don't want to say they didn't make every opportunity. Of course it's counterproductive with a true atheist since they usually end up resenting it.
I worked with a teen who didn't bother flipped...she just combined. She was a pagan Buddhist christian at one point.

But I think 'flipping' can be a good thing...it's the teen exploring and trying to find where they fit. And even if they don't stay with any religion longer than a few months, they're learning at least a little about them. I'd rather a teen try out a few religions than select one just because their parent's believe in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting