Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:13 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a Catholic family, with nuns and priests as relatives, sent to parochial school and expected to attend Mass every Sunday, until I reached high school. Then my parents took a hands off attitude, which I appreciated. We never really talked about why, but it might have had something to do with a girl my age becoming pregnant by and eventually marrying our parish priest.

We took our kids occasionally when they were younger, but had some negative experiences with the local parish and stopped attending. Our eldest chose to attend parochial school, and we had no objection. The younger two had limited exposure to church.

When the grandparents visited we would attend with them, mainly to make them happy. But, when the boys started objecting, it was my mother who said we should let them stay home. Now, when my mother visits, one of the boys will offer to take her to church. I have no interest in organized religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 12:21 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
No i don't think kids should be forced, but what other parents do is their business. I think though forcing kids that show no desire towards going just ensures they dig their heels in, and not follow the religion anyway later on.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We took our kids occasionally when they were younger, but had some negative experiences with the local parish and stopped attending.
Yeah, negative experiences with various parishes AND with parochial schools.

I got to go to public school for one term because I had to - we were out of the country at the beginning of the school term. I liked it SO much better than Catholic school and now look at my Catholic school experience as a big waste of money (not my money).

Old 08-21-2012, 12:45 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Should Relgion or going to church be forced on kids?

Especially after the age of reasoning?
No.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:50 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
It's the parent's call all the way to age 18.

Parents decide how to budget, how to live - their faith is no different. That being said, if it becomes a battle, then it may have the opposite effect and turn the kid against religion altogether (but this is the case with sports, academics, etc. - push too hard and you get the opposite).
I was raised Jewish and am no longer terribly observant, but my parents also did not force it down my throat.

Of the people I knew growing up (and I knew people from various backgrounds) the Christians who were dragged forcibly to church every Sunday and sat there miserable and pouting after a regular Sunday morning epic battle are the ones who grew up to be the least religious.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:50 PM

14 posts, read 22,737 times
I think every young person, meaning anyone over 14 or so, should learn to start questioning their beliefs and find out what they want. Usually they aren't ready for that at that age, so going to church they sit there and don't listen anyway. So no, young people should not be forced to go to church with their parents. They need to learn to make their own decision on what to believe. Best of luck!

Old 08-21-2012, 12:55 PM

407 posts, read 829,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Should children be potty trained?
GL2
You're actually comparing potty training to religion... well I guess I can see the similarities since both are crap

Old 08-21-2012, 01:44 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Quote: [If your child turns out to be an individual that needs a strong moral background and he/she has none you will surely regret your lack of attention.]

What does strong moral background have to do with going to church?

Old 08-21-2012, 02:09 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
My children are grown and one has a baby now of his own.
We brought up our children in church, and there were a lots of discussion and prayer together, and lots of miricals as well, both at home and at church.
They fallow on their own, the relationship they built in the Lord, understanding their own accountability..
There is no church control no parental because I said so control .
If a child is taught and demonstrated one's personal accountability to God as a person, being unseen does not mean He is not aware.
I don't have to be there to give my instruction, when my son knows to find God's instruction Himself, for him self.
It is not one's intellect and knowledge of scripture that God is looking for in man, but a personal obedience to the tutelage of the Holy spirit, Jesus Provided us.
Out side this obedience, one is yet, in sin, (self government).

Old 08-21-2012, 06:31 PM

105 posts, read 106,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If you can't leave your 14 year old child home while the family goes to church then you have failed as a parent (absent special needs).
You completely missed my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting