Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:12 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
It means, the parents should hold their child's money and control what they spend so they don't become broke in a day!
I'd advise them to buy what they need and wait for what they want .
I didn't "hold" their money. They had old-fashioned piggy banks in their rooms. My DH and I bought them what they "needed". Half of gift-money went in the bank for college. The other half they could buy whatever they liked, pretty much. They had bank accounts from the time they were very small and we talked about money and budgets from the time they were small.

If one went out and blew it all in one day that was that. He quickly learned that meant he was broke and he had to stand and watch when his more thrifty brothers had money to buy something they wanted at Target.

Once or twice of "Dad. Can I have some money? Pleeeease??" and Dad saying, "No. You spent your's two weeks ago." pretty much taught that particular lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 09:14 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,185,222 times
I liked Financial Peace Junior.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:43 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,427 times
For birthdays and Christmas, we let them use half to buy what they want and the other half goes in their bank account. If they really, really want something that is more, then we let them get it. We are not so strict with it, we just want them to have a little money when they get a bit older. If their aunts and uncles and grandparents give them money when they visit them, or if they get money in a card for Valentine's Day or even Halloween, they can keep it and spend it on whatever. Its usually just maybe $5 or $10.

I would never take my child's gift money. That is so wrong and selfish.

Last edited by Flamingomo; 08-24-2012 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 09:55 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
MIL always sends my kids checks. I cash the check, put the money in the kid's hand, and that's that. If she chooses to spend it all the first time we go to walmart, fine. If she uses it to buy an ice cream for all of her friends on the block when the ice cream truck goes by, fine. If she loses it in her bedroom, again, fine. The only time I would keep it is if it ends up in my washing machine (our household rule, which costs their daddy much more than it ever costs them ).

My parents are putting money in a bank account for my kids on their birthdays. They don't have access to the accounts and it's unclear when they ever will, so my oldest insists that her grandma has made up the account so that she never has to give a birthday gift. She may be right.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:19 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,968 times
As described in the original post, I think that's stealing. (Even if a minor doesn't technically 'own' the money.. I still think of it as stealing). I have my daughter (age 6) put excess money in her own savings account. I help her fill out the deposit slip, drive her to the bank, and walk her to the teller. I also review her bank statement with her each month so she can see her money grow. Smaller amounts (under $50) go in the piggy bank, and I don't dictate how it is spent. However, I will make suggestions when asked.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:48 AM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,201 times
Yeah I'd consider it stealing to, To take money that's not yours is terrible, that's your child.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:56 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,300 times
Yeah, my mom used to take any cash I received, I never knew what became of it and learned to stop asking. My heart used to sink when I'd receive a ten dollar bill in a card from an Aunt. Note to self: Don't take my daughters money away! I'm still looking for an old fashion piggy bank that is NOT made of glass or ceramic for her.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:11 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,107 times
My son is only 2 so he doesn't have much say. I put his Christening money in a savings account. When he gets cash I either put it in the bank (in his account) or use some of it to pay for museum or zoo membership - things like that. Hopefully that's the same as letting an older kid save half and spend half. I hope I'm not stealing it.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:46 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
My son is only 2 so he doesn't have much say. I put his Christening money in a savings account. When he gets cash I either put it in the bank (in his account) or use some of it to pay for museum or zoo membership - things like that. Hopefully that's the same as letting an older kid save half and spend half. I hope I'm not stealing it.
Haha, Of course, he's 2, He probably wouldn't know or care.
I wouldn't consider you stealing it.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:07 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
That's not stealing.

Of course I am assuming you take him to the zoo and museum with those memberships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting