U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2012, 11:16 AM
 
5,190 posts, read 4,050,683 times
Reputation: 13169

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I did when I worked summer holidays. Money was tight and I knew it so I gave about 30% of what I earned.

But there is a quid pro quo. If the 'child' is contributing then the parental regime needs to recognize this. If they are contributing real money then they are not really a child anymore.
I agree with this. As a child who had to "grow up" way too soon due to negligence, I don't know if it's fair to expect a working child to pay utilities and groceries. Isn't that the job of the parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2012, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
1,434 posts, read 1,547,610 times
Reputation: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I agree with this. As a child who had to "grow up" way too soon due to negligence, I don't know if it's fair to expect a working child to pay utilities and groceries. Isn't that the job of the parents?
Yeah, it's the job of the parents. I think that teens who work shouldn't have to contribute unless they feel that they absolutely have to. Nothing wrong with helping out if you can. Honestly teens aren't little kids, they are nearing adulthood, it's not really a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2012, 03:38 PM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,332,749 times
Reputation: 13682
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Yeah, it's the job of the parents. I think that teens who work shouldn't have to contribute unless they feel that they absolutely have to. Nothing wrong with helping out if you can. Honestly teens aren't little kids, they are nearing adulthood, it's not really a big deal.
I think it depends .....

If the teen has left school and is working full time and living in the family home then he/she should contribute. But at this point they become equal partners with their parents with the rights and responsibilities that ensue.

If the teen is still at school and is just working his/her holidays or other spare time then it becomes more of a judgement call. In my case, my father had passed away, my mother never remarried and money was tight. Also, it was more accepted where I grew up that if you worked you contributed. I never had a problem with that. But, then, I never felt like my mother was taking advantage either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2012, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
1,434 posts, read 1,547,610 times
Reputation: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I think it depends .....

If the teen has left school and is working full time and living in the family home then he/she should contribute. But at this point they become equal partners with their parents with the rights and responsibilities that ensue.

If the teen is still at school and is just working his/her holidays or other spare time then it becomes more of a judgement call. In my case, my father had passed away, my mother never remarried and money was tight. Also, it was more accepted where I grew up that if you worked you contributed. I never had a problem with that. But, then, I never felt like my mother was taking advantage either.
I agree with you 100 percent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2012, 02:44 AM
 
5,190 posts, read 4,050,683 times
Reputation: 13169
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Yeah, it's the job of the parents. I think that teens who work shouldn't have to contribute unless they feel that they absolutely have to. Nothing wrong with helping out if you can. Honestly teens aren't little kids, they are nearing adulthood, it's not really a big deal.

I am speaking of teens still in high school.

From the teen's perspective, it can be a big deal. Especially in cases where the parent is not doing the right thing with their money. And IMO, teens shouldn't be made to feel like they have to contribute. If you as an adult can't take care of your financial obligations without a teen's help something is wrong.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2012, 10:24 AM
 
16,094 posts, read 17,895,645 times
Reputation: 15891
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I was on Yahoo Answers and came across some questions and one of them was this.
(This is not my question)

"Whenever I have a birthday, The money that I get as gifts...my parents use it to buy themselves fast food & to get my mom's hair done and stuff.

They took all $200 of my birthday money ;(
This depresses me. They do this every year.

I just turned sixteen.
If I get a job they'll take that money too.
My parents didn't give me any birthday money.

Other people gave me birthday money & my parents took it." From Yahoo Answers.


So Do You Think it's right for Parents to take their children's money?
I Think Parents should manage their kid's money and help them make good choices, but to all out take it, I find sad.
Again, The scenario is from yahoo answers. I'm 23
If the scenario as presented is correct, then I think the parents are certainly in the wrong. First of all, they should certainly not be taking birthday money away from the child to use for themselves. If the money was needed to pay for family food or housing because the family was just scraping by, then I can see it happening. When my dad lost his job, my baby account was taken to help with expenses, but they tried to pay it back once he got another job.

If the teen is working, that money is his to do with as he pleases, imo, unless the family *needs* money to help them out or unless he decides to help with the expenses in the house. That kind of agreement should still leave some of his money for his own purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2012, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
1,434 posts, read 1,547,610 times
Reputation: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
If the scenario as presented is correct, then I think the parents are certainly in the wrong. First of all, they should certainly not be taking birthday money away from the child to use for themselves. If the money was needed to pay for family food or housing because the family was just scraping by, then I can see it happening. When my dad lost his job, my baby account was taken to help with expenses, but they tried to pay it back once he got another job.

If the teen is working, that money is his to do with as he pleases, imo, unless the family *needs* money to help them out or unless he decides to help with the expenses in the house. That kind of agreement should still leave some of his money for his own purposes.
Yes. Parents have no rights to take a childs money. It's not right at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 04:54 PM
 
12,886 posts, read 15,429,995 times
Reputation: 14853
Those parents are flat out STEALING from their kids....shameful to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2012, 07:11 AM
 
1,430 posts, read 2,096,235 times
Reputation: 1659
IMO it all depends on the sum of money....

I don't really see the meaning of taking $20 worth of a birthday card.

However, I remember opening card after card of $100 checks for my 1st communion and never seeing the money again. But in 2nd grade did I really need $1,000 at my disposal? I went to a private school so I am sure it went towards that.


OR you could do it the Warren Buffet way.. buy a slot machine, give your kids their allowance in quarters, then take it all back at the end of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 05:36 PM
 
1 posts, read 916 times
Reputation: 10
When I was young every time I got money for my birthday or Christmas my mom took it from me to "save" for me in the bank. She took me to the bank to open a savings account. I never saw a DIME of that money again, it was always taken away and put in the bank. That money went straight to her beer and cigarettes, and if I ever asked to go to the bank to withdraw any money to buy something I was slapped up. Taught me never to put money in the bank, that's what she did for me. To this day I run on a cash economy thanks to my mistrust of banks. Lots of other things I do or don't do thanks to my mother's evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top