Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 07:14 AM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,355 times

Advertisements

I was on Yahoo Answers and came across some questions and one of them was this.
(This is not my question)

"Whenever I have a birthday,
The money that I get as gifts...my parents use it to buy themselves fast food & to get my mom's hair done and stuff.

They took all $200 of my birthday money ;(

This depresses me. They do this every year.

I just turned sixteen.

If I get a job they'll take that money too.
9 months ago Report Abuse
Additional Details
My parents didn't give me any birthday money.

Other people gave me birthday money & my parents took it." From Yahoo Answers.

So Do You Think it's right for Parents to take their children's money?
I Think Parents should manage their kid's money and help them make good choices, but to all out take it, I find sad.
Again, The scenario is from yahoo answers. I'm 23

Last edited by JustJulia; 08-24-2012 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: fixed title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 07:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
No - I don't think the parents should do that -- although technically a minor child doesn't have his own money.

If the child owes you money and doesn't pay it back then you should learn not to lend money to them.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:26 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Of course not, unless perhaps as part of a punishment. I could see requiring a kid to open a savings account rather than spending every dime he gets. But still, birthday money? That's outrageous.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:41 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
The only time we take money from our kids is when they owe it to us. This happens when they see something that they want to buy and don't have any money on them. We will pay for it then they pay us back. Sometimes they want to buy something online but they don't have a credit card. Then we pay for it and they pay us back. Other than that we don't take their money, even as a punishment.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:44 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
This is wrong.

Depending on the age, the money should be put in a savings account in the child's name or the child - rather young person - should be allowed to dispose of it as they will. That cut-off is probably around the age of 13. I can also see it being put towards a large ticket item - e.g. skis or a bike - that the child wants.

That said, from age 15 I worked all my summer holidays. My father died when I was 9 and money was tight. I always gave my mother about 30% of what I earned towards household expenses. I think that, if a child is working, then they should contribute. It is a part of their financial education. Of course, when you contribute you also get privileges. For example, curfew did not apply during those summers.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 AM

I think, whatever the kid works for, the kid deserves.
I can't imagine why parents would take a kids BIRTHDAY Money just for themselves. It's just not right.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:43 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I Think Parents should manage their kid's money and help them make good choices
What does that mean?

The kid is rolling in bucks and Mom and Dad are advising him on his portfolio?

Mom and Dad keep the kid's money in a jar in the kitchen?

Mom and Dad help him buy his toys when he's 5? Do they also help him buy his iTunes when he's 14?

Pretty broad question. A lot depends on the age of the child and how much dough is actually involved.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
What does that mean?

The kid is rolling in bucks and Mom and Dad are advising him on his portfolio?

Mom and Dad keep the kid's money in a jar in the kitchen?

Mom and Dad help him buy his toys when he's 5? Do they also help him buy his iTunes when he's 14?

Pretty broad question. A lot depends on the age of the child and how much dough is actually involved.

It means, the parents should hold their child's money and control what they spend so they don't become broke in a day!
I'd advise them to buy what they need and wait for what they want .

Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
It means, the parents should hold their child's money and control what they spend so they don't become broke in a day!
I'd advise them to buy what they need and wait for what they want .
Children who are not given responsibility don't learn how to use it. Parents should not seek to control their children.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:10 AM

36,520 posts, read 30,847,571 times
My ex DIL does this all the time and it really ticks me off. I have learned not to let them take any money home. I opened a savings accout for both my grandkids and if they get money we deposit it or it is kept at my house for them to spend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting