U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-06-2012, 10:41 PM

4,258 posts, read 2,471,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You said coed sports were being forced on boys. There is no force.
That was in response to this statement of yours: "No-everyone does not have a stake in how I raise my kids. Sorry."

Let me rephrase it then. You want a stake in how other parents raise their kids. You want to limit their choices. You would require them to play co-ed sports against their wishes, or deprive them of sports altogether. That's you calling the shots and limiting the choices of other parents. Comprende?

So please don't complain about how other parents "want a stake" in how you raise your children when you obviously want a stake in how they raise theirs. The difference is that your imposition affects a lot more people than theirs does.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 10:52 PM

22,211 posts, read 13,014,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Nobody HAS to play sports, least of all girls who insist on playing with the boys.
Well, that's it. Girls are "least of all". Doesn't matter what they want. It doesn't matter that there's a girl out there who may be the next Morton Anderson for her high school. She doesn't have to play sports. She's "least of all". She's at the bottom of the genetic pile because the boys count more.

Babe Didrickson
Janet Guthrie
Ann Meyers Drysdale
Florence Griffith Joyner
Chris Everett
Janet Evans
Mary Decker Slaney
Althea Gibson
Wilma Rudolph (She and Althea Gibson also broke the color barrier.)

Need more? I have a list. Ah well. Just shoo them all out because the boys need the locker space.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:53 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,065,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I agree with everything you say regarding biological differences. I also agree 100% that competitive single gender sports are best for everyone. However, in my state there are a few sports (wrestling and football) where there are no girls teams.
So instead of focusing on creating some interest amongst the girls and joining girl wrestling and football teams you would rather force male teams to accepts girls. "Let's sue them". How typical.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:01 AM

21,276 posts, read 19,344,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, that's it. Girls are "least of all". Doesn't matter what they want. It doesn't matter that there's a girl out there who may be the next Morton Anderson for her high school. She doesn't have to play sports. She's "least of all". She's at the bottom of the genetic pile because the boys count more.

Babe Didrickson
Janet Guthrie
Ann Meyers Drysdale
Florence Griffith Joyner
Chris Everett
Janet Evans
Mary Decker Slaney
Althea Gibson
Wilma Rudolph (She and Althea Gibson also broke the color barrier.)

Need more? I have a list. Ah well. Just shoo them all out because the boys need the locker space.
Silly Dew. You know that much exercise can disrupt a woman's menstrual cycle, interfering with her biological destiny.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:44 AM

10,151 posts, read 11,551,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
That was in response to this statement of yours: "No-everyone does not have a stake in how I raise my kids. Sorry."

Let me rephrase it then. You want a stake in how other parents raise their kids. You want to limit their choices. You would require them to play co-ed sports against their wishes, or deprive them of sports altogether. That's you calling the shots and limiting the choices of other parents. Comprende?

So please don't complain about how other parents "want a stake" in how you raise your children when you obviously want a stake in how they raise theirs. The difference is that your imposition affects a lot more people than theirs does.
I am not in favor of forcing anyone to play anything against their will. There is no limiting of choices if girls are permitted to participate in sports where there is no girls team. A boy can choose to participate. Or not. The same choice he would have if girls were not permitted to participate. I do not want a stake in how other parents raise their kids. The choice a boy faces (to wrestle or not) is the same whether girls are permitted to compete or not.

I think you misunderstand my comments. I think the best option for sports is a single gender team. In my state almost all sports offer single gender options. Only football and wrestling do not provide single gender options. Competitive cheer offers both single gender and co ed options. Single gender teams provide the most athletic opportunities for both boys and girls. I am only speaking of sports where there is no single gender option. In those cases anyone should be eligible.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
So instead of focusing on creating some interest amongst the girls and joining girl wrestling and football teams you would rather force male teams to accepts girls. "Let's sue them". How typical.
That's not what I said. Not at all. How could you possibly have gotten that from my comments?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:58 AM

5,926 posts, read 2,407,919 times
There's no way to make this point sound less trivial, so I'll just say it: Making competitive tackle football coed will dramatically change the game (or, it already has where girls have been playing). I'm convinced it will be a minority of guys on the field that are willing to really tackle her the way they would another guy.

I think we'll be seeing more of this:

Girls Can't Play Football: Player Sits out Game so Team Doesn't Forfeit | Bleacher Report
Fraudulent Feminism vs. High School Football - Terry Jeffrey - Page 2

As for what to do about it, guess no solution will make everyone happy nor universally solve any problem (including inequality). I'm leaning more toward making football tag or touch across the board. I don't guess that will ever happen, but at least it would get more girls/women out on the field? Elsewise, I think the girls/women are going to be:

A. Still victims of discrimination (but less obvious; they won't be allowed the "right" to get hit as hard as the guys)
B. Disproportionately injured while playing.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:19 AM

10,805 posts, read 7,754,172 times
I am generally against co-ed sports where the biological differences between boys and girls put girls at a disadvantage or where changes are made in that sport to nullify that disadvantage which is, necessarily, unfair to the boys. That said, I appreciate the point made by Momma_Bear that all states do not offer single gender options for all sports. However, I think the solution to that is to create single gender options rather than to force the sports in question to go co-ed.

I also think it is important that girls get a chance to excel at their chosen sports and it is unlikely that they will get that opportunity in the co-ed setting. Where I went to high school, the boys played Rugby and the girls played Field Hockey. One of those girls (Laura Bartlett) just won an olympic bronze medal on the British women's hockey team. Needless to say, her picture is splashed all over the alumni magazine. If field hockey was a co-ed sport, would she have got that opportunity or would she have been squeezed out by stronger and faster boys?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I am generally against co-ed sports where the biological differences between boys and girls put girls at a disadvantage or where changes are made in that sport to nullify that disadvantage which is, necessarily, unfair to the boys. That said, I appreciate the point made by Momma_Bear that all states do not offer single gender options for all sports. However, I think the solution to that is to create single gender options rather than to force the sports in question to go co-ed.

I also think it is important that girls get a chance to excel at their chosen sports and it is unlikely that they will get that opportunity in the co-ed setting. Where I went to high school, the boys played Rugby and the girls played Field Hockey. One of those girls (Laura Bartlett) just won an olympic bronze medal on the British women's hockey team. Needless to say, her picture is splashed all over the alumni magazine. If field hockey was a co-ed sport, would she have got that opportunity or would she have been squeezed out by stronger and faster boys?
I don't see that there would be enough demand for girls tackle football. There are so few girls who want to play tackle football that girls tackle football is not going to happen here anytime soon. I just see no reason that the handful of girls who can compete should be prevented from doing so.

As for wrestling there are girls who wrestle. I would LOVE to see girls high school wrestling in FL. There are lots of girls who participate in youth wrestling (girls tournaments) but there is no way for most of them to participate in high school. They are permitted to participate but few of the are able. In the lighter weight classes, where the boys are younger and less developed, girls can compete but once the kids get heavier (thus older) the girls really have no way to compete. We had a few girls in our school who were Jiujitsu competitors. The joined wrestling and worked out with the boys. However, they were on the larger side (tall and muscular not fat) and they were not able to compete as middle weight wrestlers against more developed older boys. I would love to see that change. However, until it does I think girls should be permitted to participate if they can.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:58 AM

10,264 posts, read 7,748,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
There's no way to make this point sound less trivial, so I'll just say it: Making competitive tackle football coed will dramatically change the game (or, it already has where girls have been playing). I'm convinced it will be a minority of guys on the field that are willing to really tackle her the way they would another guy.

I think we'll be seeing more of this:

Girls Can't Play Football: Player Sits out Game so Team Doesn't Forfeit | Bleacher Report
Fraudulent Feminism vs. High School Football - Terry Jeffrey - Page 2

As for what to do about it, guess no solution will make everyone happy nor universally solve any problem (including inequality). I'm leaning more toward making football tag or touch across the board. I don't guess that will ever happen, but at least it would get more girls/women out on the field? Elsewise, I think the girls/women are going to be:

A. Still victims of discrimination (but less obvious; they won't be allowed the "right" to get hit as hard as the guys)
B. Disproportionately injured while playing.

Interesting though from the first article you posted

Quote:
Johnson registered four sacks in a game, and was gaining not only the attention and admiration of her teammates but of the entire Virginia community.
While I don't think most girls can play this way, it looks like this particular girl not only can take hits, she can make them. It is too bad, she had to sit out a game, but it sounds like she is certainly able to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting