Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 01:54 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It doesn't matter why they are uncomfortable. Simply being uncomfortable is not enough of a reason to deny someone an opportunity to compete for a spot on a team. Nobody has an absolute right to a life free of uncomfortable situations.
It doesn't matter to you. In my view, there are good reasons and bad reasons to be uncomfortable with something. I consider a boy's/man's fear of hurting a girl/woman (if not worry that you'll get in trouble for accidentally touching her in the wrong place) good reason to be uncomfortable with tackling her to the ground with all your might (with no regard to where you put your hands). I've already said I'm not against letting them play. But we shouldn't trivialize their concerns either. You haven't seen me post anything like "Awww, I won't be able to play football with the boys, boo hoo", have ya?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 02:07 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
It doesn't matter to you. In my view, there are good reasons and bad reasons to be uncomfortable with something. I consider a boy's/man's fear of hurting a girl/woman (if not worry that you'll get in trouble for accidentally touching her in the wrong place) good reason to be uncomfortable with tackling her to the ground with all your might (with no regard to where you put your hands). I've already said I'm not against letting them play. But we shouldn't trivialize their concerns either. You haven't seen me post anything like "Awww, I won't be able to play football with the boys, boo hoo", have ya?
Under the law it doesn't matter. You cannot take away opportunities from one person because it makes another person feel bad.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
But we shouldn't trivialize their concerns either.
The boy's concerns? So that's what were back to. Again. What the boys want and are concerned about.

I'm not sure why you are narrowing this to football. All sports will be involved. I'm also wondering if you've ever known a competitive, skilled, talented woman athlete. Don't worry about the boys' attitude. Start worrying about the her's.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The boy's concerns? So that's what were back to. Again. What the boys want and are concerned about.

I'm not sure why you are narrowing this to football. All sports will be involved. I'm also wondering if you've ever known a competitive, skilled, talented woman athlete. Don't worry about the boys' attitude. Start worrying about the her's.
I think the reason football is such a concern is that it is a sport without a girl's team so any girl who wanted to play would have to play on the only team there is.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:00 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,991 times
Quote:
Under the law it doesn't matter. You cannot take away opportunities from one person because it makes another person feel bad.
Exactly. I want to run in miss teen USA. I have great legs and when I shave you can see my beautiful face. Equality for all!

Old 09-09-2012, 03:01 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,991 times
Quote:

I would like to see a discipline where women's world record is better than men's does any of the equalizers here realize that if we combine women and men Olympic teams we would not see a single women in the Olympic beside equestrian and few sports where being small and light is an actual benefit.l?

Old 09-09-2012, 03:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
I would like to see a discipline where women's world record is better than men's
Except we are discussing high school sports. A girl needn't be better than the best...onlybetter than the others trying out for a particular position at a particular school.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Exactly. I want to run in miss teen USA. I have great legs and when I shave you can see my beautiful face. Equality for all!
Miss Teen USA is run by a private organization. The local public school high school sports team is run by a governmental entity.

Quote:
I would like to see a discipline where women's world record is better than men's does any of the equalizers here realize that if we combine women and men Olympic teams we would not see a single women in the Olympic beside equestrian and few sports where being small and light is an actual benefit.l?
A girl making the local high school football team doesn't need to be the best in the entire world. She just needs to be in the top X people at her position at her high school.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:24 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Quote:
Other than "the law" (which has been wrong about things before, believe it or not), I'm not seeing any practical reason to cater to what "the girls" want on this subject either. Also, I could use these arguments to try and get myself the right to just walk into a women's public restroom, but you wouldn't buy them then. Then, my opportunity to use the best looking or best smelling restroom would be taken away because women would be uncomfortable with me being in there, and we'd absolutely have to put what the women want first.

Which would be fine; I'm capable of understanding.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you are narrowing this to football. All sports will be involved.
Because contact sports are the ones I can see guys being the most uncomfortable playing with females. In theory, basketball and baseball wouldn't present quite as many opportunities for things to go wrong. I consider myself a relatively average Joe, and I wouldn't feel near as weird about playing these sports with a female as I would competitive tackle football, hockey, or wrestling.

Quote:
I'm also wondering if you've ever known a competitive, skilled, talented woman athlete. Don't worry about the boys' attitude. Start worrying about the her's.
What, like, "Oooh, you got tackled by a girl", that kinda stuff? Yeah, that's another good point, thank you

Old 09-09-2012, 03:28 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
If the only restroom available was the women's restroom then yes your right to use it would override anyone's feeling uncomfortable with you being there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting