U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 AM

16,161 posts, read 17,996,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I remember reading somewhere that getting outside early in the morning and soaking up that early morning sunlight for 20 minutes or so helps set the body's sleep clock and natural sleep wake cycle. Keeping the lights low and electronics off in the evening can also help.
This may be true since it is sunlight that gets melatonin production going which helps your biological clock reset itself.

Discovery Health "Sunlight and Sleep"

I would not, btw, suggest major physical activity right before bedtime. That's when the child needs to wind down not wind up. I do think kids need lots of physical activity during the day. Perhaps before dinner is a better time for this. Also, tv and screen time don't help right before bed. A good routine that is calming is better. For us, it was brushing teeth, bath, into pjs and then reading a story and cuddling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 11:57 AM

2,436 posts, read 5,070,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I agree with the co-sleeping. If you want a good nights sleep from the time you bring them home from the hospital until they are 2 or 3 or 4, just do the natural way. Making a baby sleep scared and all alone isn't natural. They never have terrifying nightmares if co-sleeping is done.
HA! I know several parents who co-sleep and they would never claim that it provides for a good night's sleep. They are happy and committed to their choice. But not well rested by any stretch of the imagination. And they have not avoided night terrors. What works for some does not work for all.

If you do research the Ferber method read the book, just don't look for bits on the internet. It is a large book but in the beginning it describes several common sleep issues and directs you to the appropriate chapters. It definitely helped with our son - but I found the info very interesting and it even helped me with my own sleep.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:18 PM

4,255 posts, read 4,742,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
My, my , my, things have drastically changed since I was a child and since my children were that age. My Mother put us to bed and we stayed there and went to sleep and that was the end of that. I did the same things with my children and none of them are neurotic or have sleep issues and they do the same thing with their children.
Great point. A lot of this fussing is because parents have more time to fuss, fewer children, and are reluctant to discipline. Also - to be fair - the children aren't getting a fair shake either. They spend all day with strangers, have few siblings if any, and probably don't know which way is up.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And multiple times. Until it works. And it has to sting.

I feel very, very sorry for the children this "technique" is used on. (Though the fact that the father is the one who is supposed to be doing this it's obvious it's also about Dad teaching the kid "you will obey me!" Major power trip on Dad's part, IMHO.) Personally, I think there's better ways to teach obedience than a stinging whack on the butt when a stressed, tired child is trying to sleep. The child doesn't learn how to go to sleep by himself. What he learns is to have fear that Dad is going to hit him if he doesn't obey. Dad stays in the room ready to spank him if he gets out of bed? Yech. Poor kid is probably clutching his pillow hoping Dad just leaves him alone.
Oh, please. You have no idea what you are talking about.

The spanking, when it happens, is for disobedience. Dad told the child to lay down, the child disobeys - swat. Recall that they are already used to this by 21 months. It's nothing new, just a reminder. I do not recommend going from no spanking to suddenly putting the child down this way.

Also, I forgot to mention that we're talking to the child all day about going to sleep in her own bed, getting her "consent". So, again, no surprises. By morning the kids are laughing and playing and have forgotten all about any unpleasantness the night before. BUT - they remember when it's bedtime again.

I said this could take up to a couple of weeks. Every family is different. But in reality, I've got it done in three or four days.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:29 PM

12,982 posts, read 12,300,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Also, I forgot to mention that we're talking to the child all day about going to sleep in her own bed, getting her "consent". So, again, no surprises. By morning the kids are laughing and playing and have forgotten all about any unpleasantness the night before. BUT - they remember when it's bedtime again.
Children do not forget being given a spanking. What tome did you glean that gem from?

Old 09-05-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Children do not forget being given a spanking. What tome did you glean that gem from?
They forget in the sense that they stop thinking about it. English can be tricky.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,326,475 times
Quote:
Oh, please. You have no idea what you are talking about.

The spanking, when it happens, is for disobedience. Dad told the child to lay down, the child disobeys - swat. Recall that they are already used to this by 21 months. It's nothing new, just a reminder. I do not recommend going from no spanking to suddenly putting the child down this way.

I said this could take up to a couple of weeks. Every family is different. But in reality, I've got it done in three or four days.
How sad.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
They forget in the sense that they stop thinking about it. English can be tricky.
I have an adequate mastery of English, what I struggle to understand is Pilgrimese. It seems to contain a lot of innuendo, convolution, and boohicky.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
How sad.
It makes for happy children and happy parents. The best part about spanking: the unpleasantness is over very quickly.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
It makes for happy children and happy parents. The best part about spanking: the unpleasantness is over very quickly.
For whom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or