Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,582,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
According to the article, the retention problem is due to the lack of support from their coworkers and bosses, who seem to agree that women don't belong in engineering.
I'm afraid that's pure speculation. Nowhere did the article state that women who left the profession complained that coworkers and bosses "seem to agree that women don't belong in engineering".

"Findings show one in three respondents left engineering because they did not like the workplace climate, their boss or the culture. One in four left engineering to spend more time with family."

That's almost 60%. The article doesn't break down the remaining 40% for us, but nowhere does it cite sexism, discrimination, or male dominance as a reason for the losses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 01:51 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,264,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Most children today are raised to believe a number of very harmful lies. These lies are so deeply enmeshed in our culture that to challenge them is almost to speak heresy.

I won't even try to list them all. But the one lie that probably does the most damage is this one:

"You can be anything you want to be."

No, you can't. You can be what God created you to be. You have great potential, but you also have limits. Your job in life is to get to know yourself well enough to discern what you were made to do in life.

In high school I had one friend tell me he would be a millionaire by the age of 30. Judging by his limitations, my guess is that if he really tried to be a millionaire, he landed in prison by the age of 30.

While in college back in the late '80s, I had a conversation with a fellow student I didn't know very well. He was clean cut, wore glasses, and very polite. He was a black man. He told me in a matter-of-fact voice that he was going to be president of the United States someday. No, it wasn't Barack Obama, and that conversation was all I needed to conclude that there was no way this fellow would ever be president of the United States.

You can't be anything you want to be, folks. The first rule of success in life is know thyself.
I prefer to share what I consider to be a profound truth with both my boys and girl: effort doesn't guarantee their success, but lack of effort most certainly guarantees their failure.

If my mother had listened to her parents, she would have been content with nursing school. Instead, she went to medical school and became a physician, and a darn good one at that!

Old 09-04-2012, 01:59 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,125,843 times
Lite we tell our children, as the thread is entitled:

Woman/mothers are more important to children than men/fathers.
It is sadder when a mother blows up than when a father blows up.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,001,849 times
Quote:
Combat nurses should be men.
Know anyone whose life has been saved by a female combat nurse in a mobile surgical unit?

How about a civilian whose life has been saved by a woman nurse or doctor who got her training in a MASH unit?

I'd like to publicly thank the women who have NOT listened to "combat nurses should be men".

Old 09-04-2012, 02:00 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,951,888 times
Quote:
Many children have crazy ambitions at an early age. But if you raise your daughter well, she will end up with realistic ambitions and financially supporting herself, if necessary, won't be a problem.

FYI, "fallacious" refers to the argument, not the premise. You have suggested that I have a false premise.

I do not believe that all women are destined to be married. Many are called to be religious - nuns. And others are called to a life of virginity in the world. But yes, most women do have motherhood in their futures, and their career ambitions need to be ordered around this reality. That's not a false premise: it's empirical reality, as more than 80% of women do become mothers, and if they have motherhood in their futures they ought to have marriage in their futures.

Once upon a time, this used to be plain common sense. Young women are happier when they're at peace with their biology.
And you would know this because you're a woman, right?

My wife is the VP of Finance for a very large commercial real estate company. Yet she's traditional in a host of ways. Faithful churchgoer. Does needlepoint. Makes casseroles for the shut-ins. Attends PTA meetings. She dropped by for lunch and I just showed her this post of yours and she laughed for about thirty seconds and then asked, "Who is this clueless person anyway?"

Last edited by cpg35223; 09-04-2012 at 02:19 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 02:03 PM

652 posts, read 1,048,776 times
Quote:
Many children have crazy ambitions at an early age. But if you raise your daughter well, she will end up with realistic ambitions and financially supporting herself, if necessary, won't be a problem.

I do not believe that all women are destined to be married. Many are called to be religious - nuns. And others are called to a life of virginity in the world. But yes, most women do have motherhood in their futures, and their career ambitions need to be ordered around this reality. That's not a false premise: it's empirical reality, as more than 80% of women do become mothers, and if they have motherhood in their futures they ought to have marriage in their futures.

Once upon a time, this used to be plain common sense. Young women are happier when they're at peace with their biology.
To OP, why is it so important that your daughter treads some narrow path of what you think female destiny should be?

Why can't she ultimately decide what is meaningful for her...instead of you giving her a narrow range of choices.

Ultimately only an individual can determine how their parenthood and career ambitions will mesh. Your daughter definitely needs to be educated, because there are no guarantees.

What the heck does being at peace with your biology mean?

I was raised by parents who had an idea of a narrow path of female destiny...not quite in the same way you do..but it was there none the less. Quit shoving your ideas at your daughter....I can guarantee you you are only making her more unhappy, even if she does not show it.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:18 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,087,446 times
Where is my man to protect me from the OP's narrow-minded ideology? Clearly he isn't doing his job!!

Old 09-04-2012, 02:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,793,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
effort doesn't guarantee their success, but lack of effort most certainly guarantees their failure.

good words to live by for everyone.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:44 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,579,270 times
Quote:
Most children today ...
When I see this, I stop reading.

Your brush is too broad, Pilgrim.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:51 PM

13,291 posts, read 9,817,325 times
OP, my life would make your head explode.

It's been full of naysayers like you. It makes me sad to think of all the kids who listened to their parents that gave out the same BS. There's nothing worse than settling because you never had the balls to try. Miserably failing is nothing compared to that reality.

I can only hope your kids stick their fingers in their ears and sing "la la la la la". Then go and do whatever it is they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting