Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 06:24 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
=

I even downloaded a few books to read - but I recently (looking for cite) read a study that for some reason they had found in a couple of studies that kids don't learn to read or store information as well if they get it from a e-reader or device as they do in a book.
I'd love to see that study. My daughter will be 3 in December and she can recite her entire alphabet, count to 13, spell her name, talk in sentences, she knows the alphabet in sign language and can "recite" it in sign. She knows the sound every letter makes, all her animals, colors and all the sounds they make. She can also add simple numbers, and is able to solve puzzles and has memorized and recites to us most of her books like " Brown Bear Brown Bear".. She has played on an IPAD for at least a year maybe more.. I see no problem storing information on my end.

Its the parents responsibility of the parent to make sure the child is where they should be educationally. The Ipad can help to a degree my daughter can actually trace and write the alphabet with a specially made pen for the Ipad and then we also have the old paper with the letters you trace on it that she can practice on too. It has to be a good balance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 07:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
The study on reading books compared to e-readers apparently is being conducted by a researcher at Tufts University who is studying neural pathways created by reading.

This article doesn't go in depth, but it gives the researchers name and an intro to the study:

Nieman Reports | Our

It sounds like her concern is that we don't know yet how the brain really makes neural pathways and cognitive connections from digital material, and there is concern that kids will lose that development that researchers KNOW comes from reading the printed page.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:40 PM

112 posts, read 292,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The study on reading books compared to e-readers apparently is being conducted by a researcher at Tufts University who is studying neural pathways created by reading.

This article doesn't go in depth, but it gives the researchers name and an intro to the study:

Nieman Reports | Our

It sounds like her concern is that we don't know yet how the brain really makes neural pathways and cognitive connections from digital material, and there is concern that kids will lose that development that researchers KNOW comes from reading the printed page.
Thank you for posting this study! I highly doubt though that you will get a great response from some parents here who post on this board because their precious little ones are so smart which makes strong research completely irrelevant to them. I would bet though that anybody with a major in Early Childhood Education, Psychology, Statistics, or Research would appreciate this information and would really limit screen time in general for their own children.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:45 PM

112 posts, read 292,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I'd love to see that study. My daughter will be 3 in December and she can recite her entire alphabet, count to 13, spell her name, talk in sentences, she knows the alphabet in sign language and can "recite" it in sign. She knows the sound every letter makes, all her animals, colors and all the sounds they make. She can also add simple numbers, and is able to solve puzzles and has memorized and recites to us most of her books like " Brown Bear Brown Bear".. She has played on an IPAD for at least a year maybe more.. I see no problem storing information on my end.

Its the parents responsibility of the parent to make sure the child is where they should be educationally. The Ipad can help to a degree my daughter can actually trace and write the alphabet with a specially made pen for the Ipad and then we also have the old paper with the letters you trace on it that she can practice on too. It has to be a good balance
That's great and all but I can actually pull hundreds of studies that show negative effects with screen time and cognitive ability. Let me know and I get those studies for you. It's just a lot of work and I would like to know if you're really interested or just being snarky before I put anymore effort into this.

ETA - The articles will be peer reviewed, scholarly articles.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:45 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Here is a more comprehensive article from Time/Healthland magazine:

Do E-Books Make It Harder to Remember What You Just Read? | Healthland | TIME.com

It analyzes a British study:

“What we found was that people on paper started to ‘know’ the material more quickly over the passage of time,” says Garland. “It took longer and [required] more repeated testing to get into that knowing state [with the computer reading, but] eventually the people who did it on the computer caught up with the people who [were reading] on paper.”

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/1...#ixzz26JWm9nni
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting