Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:14 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,739,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Going to stop reading there.

A plane is very relevant. It takes the 'joyriding in dads car' and turns the dangerous factor up 100 times.

"Just dumb kid stuff" IS sneaking out to go make out with your girlfriend, in a car, at her house, at your house. Dumb kid stuff is NOT stealing a plane and taking it for ajoy ride.
Nonsense...Pure nonsense. Just the weird view people have of flying. It does not require you to walk on water.

We just had a 24 year old put his car into a bus stop. Doing something close to 100 mph and lost control. The initial reports was he was drunk but it appears he may have been almost sober just hurrying to return the car. Four Dead - four more hospitalized. Only blocks from home.

That is an irresponsible kid.

An airplane is no place near that dangerous even in the hands of an inexperienced pilot. If he is sober and trying not to do anything interesting and operating out of an uncontrolled airport it is not a terrible thing.

A kid drunk or stoned in the family automobile is as much more hazardous situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 09:23 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,739,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, this sounds pretty good.

I agree with permanently ending his flight training. Someday when he's an adult, he can go for it on his own, but you should cut him off -- you tried but he failed big time.

I don't know how much more you really can do -- make sure you've cut off any allowance if you give him one. At least three months for the grounding. If you were going to get him a car, I think that should be out also.

It's a pretty serious thing he did, he wanted to be a show-off and risked getting that girl killed as well as himself. Her parents are smart to forbid her from seeing him.
Oh Hell. Take him out in the back 40 and put a round between his eyes.

You made him. You can always make another.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:22 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,429,028 times
Quote:

I agree with permanently ending his flight training. Someday when he's an adult, he can go for it on his own, but you should cut him off -- you tried but he failed big time.

I don't know how much more you really can do -- make sure you've cut off any allowance if you give him one. At least three months for the grounding. If you were going to get him a car, I think that should be out also.

It's a pretty serious thing he did, he wanted to be a show-off and risked getting that girl killed as well as himself. Her parents are smart to forbid her from seeing him.
He has proven he's untrustworthy, he broke the law and lied to his parents. I think if he were turned in to the authorities for this stunt, they'd likely prevent him from getting a pilots license until he is an adult and responsible for himself.

Years ago, my then 14 yo ss took our car and manage to break every axle on the car in an accident while we slept (the mechanic guessed about 90 mph sideways into the curb). Our insurance did not cover the damage because we left the keys where he could find them and didn't press charges (An unlicensed family member taking your car without permission is not covered unless the car is reported stolen and the person charged.). 20/20 hindsight, we should have had him arrested for grand theft auto and let him pay the piper. That would have sent a stronger message than we did by grounding him.

I'm thinking that maybe turning him in to the authorities might be the right thing to do here.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,191,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Nonsense...Pure nonsense. Just the weird view people have of flying. It does not require you to walk on water.

We just had a 24 year old put his car into a bus stop. Doing something close to 100 mph and lost control. The initial reports was he was drunk but it appears he may have been almost sober just hurrying to return the car. Four Dead - four more hospitalized. Only blocks from home.

That is an irresponsible kid.

An airplane is no place near that dangerous even in the hands of an inexperienced pilot. If he is sober and trying not to do anything interesting and operating out of an uncontrolled airport it is not a terrible thing.

A kid drunk or stoned in the family automobile is as much more hazardous situation.
This is a joke, right? He could have crashed the plane over a highway, into a home or store. Plane crash landing into building with people = very possible casualties.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,191,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
He has proven he's untrustworthy, he broke the law and lied to his parents. I think if he were turned in to the authorities for this stunt, they'd likely prevent him from getting a pilots license until he is an adult and responsible for himself.

Years ago, my then 14 yo ss took our car and manage to break every axle on the car in an accident while we slept (the mechanic guessed about 90 mph sideways into the curb). Our insurance did not cover the damage because we left the keys where he could find them and didn't press charges (An unlicensed family member taking your car without permission is not covered unless the car is reported stolen and the person charged.). 20/20 hindsight, we should have had him arrested for grand theft auto and let him pay the piper. That would have sent a stronger message than we did by grounding him.

I'm thinking that maybe turning him in to the authorities might be the right thing to do here.
JOOC, how is your SS today? Did he learn his lesson after the grounding?

Old 09-20-2012, 04:57 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,111,084 times
Quote:

Well, Lets talk about this girl...She wasn't smart enough not to get into a plane, or smart enough to talk him out of doing this. She is equally culpable for taking the plane. For all you know she egged him on. I wonder what punishment she is getting?
You are punishing him....You don't want to traumatize him. Let that be enough. I think this is actually something that shows you are a teacher that has instilled a lot of confidence in your son. The backhanded way of looking at this is you can trust that he knows how to fly a plane....You know secretly.....without his knowing your probably fist pumping that your boy has such a set of........ Be tough because he did something wrong.....but don't destroy that spirit.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:12 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,139,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I just told my pilot husband this. I cannot repeat his words as it is against the terms of service.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:39 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,111,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

No....I work in law. Do not turn this over to authorities....It may be much bigger than you know. Do not set his life on that course, it will never be the same. The lil girl is culpable too...I think Dad is punishing enough...Call that good, and let him earn your trust back. I do not undertand all the folks that want to hang this kid...I had 4 boys....Lighten up people. Not that this is a small thing, but it is a forgivable thing!!

Old 09-20-2012, 05:55 AM

10,567 posts, read 12,777,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
YES deal with the what ifs before they become true.
My youngest son is older than this mentioned 16 year old...I try to paint the worst possible scenario of what COULD happen if you do certain things. I don't pull any punches...It's like the wages of sin is death..You break the law and go screaming down a one way street- there is in time going to be deadly impact..It's the physics of life.

The other morning I hear a radio report that a motorcyclist has crashed into the side of a cement truck and is dead on the road...I say to my self....."oh my God that is his route to work...it could be him"....At that moment I realized something...I keep thinking that I am a tough old guy and can endure anything life tosses my way...but I was sick inside thinking of my son as a corpse....I don't think I could bare it.....which brings me to the real point here.

This father regarding the breaking of laws and regulations as far as his son is concerned and the joy ride in the sky...well- I don't think this dad is honest with us..It's not the law...it is not the rules..it is not the shame of having a law breaker in the family- This seemingly tough and proper aviator dad...Love his son with all his heart and could not stand the idea of harm coming to his boy...Maybe he should tell him once...How dearly he loves him........"I do not love him because he is good, I love him because he is my little child".

Old 09-20-2012, 06:23 AM

10,567 posts, read 12,777,259 times
One lesson that should be taught to the son..one only..It is about power and maintaining power and safety..Never give gravity more power than you grant yourself. Gravity is the only true enemy of the flyer. The kid has to realize that the earth is a life giver and a life taker...Like young sparrows testing their wings..they dive towards the ground and pull up at the last moment...You do not behave like a dare devil and tempt the earth...The father seems to be all about material things and laws..The only law that really counts here is the law of gravity...It can suck you from the sky and dash you on the ground turning you into hamburger.

This is what I explain to my son...It is about the impact or the possible impact..Whether it be driving a car of flying a plane..You will suffer the impact of mistakes...Unless you have been in a serious accident...Most people have no idea what impact is or how powerful and destructive it is...I put it this way to my son...No matter how skilled you think you are there are other unseen factors at play...The mistake of others and mechanical failure or your own human failure do to NOT being the perfect biological machine...

I explain to him...when you are in motion....."see that ten story building over there..if you go to the top and dive straight down head first into the pavement...That is what it is like when you are traveling even at a moderate speed...when you hit something or someone hits you" The impact is not survivable...and if by chance you do survive...you will be in diapers being wheeled around in constant suffering..

Fathers must teach their kids the laws of physics....the laws of man are one thing socially speaking...real laws like gravity are the real concern.

Other writers here are correct and proper in stating that it is not just the life of the offender that could be lost- but he may have taken others with him...that is why they have socially generated laws...to protect other from those who are reckless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting