Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 07:53 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,920 times

Advertisements

The big deal in 7th grade for us was maybelline colored mascara, yardley lip gloss in a pot, and loves baby soft!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 07:57 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
What kind of make up is "serious"? It's just makeup. It washes off with soap and water.
LOL. Meaning I can't imagine allowing a 12 year old to wear foundation, bright red lipstick and heavy blush. You know, full on makeup. Lip gloss and mascara seems more appropriate to me for that age.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:07 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
LOL. Meaning I can't imagine allowing a 12 year old to wear foundation, bright red lipstick and heavy blush. You know, full on makeup. Lip gloss and mascara seems more appropriate to me for that age.
I guess the wording just threw me. I don't think of makeup as serious. It's just make up. But I understand not wanting a young girl to look overly made up.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:08 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
Well i hope if I ever have a girl, she'll learn makeup is not necessary. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've worn makeup in my life (one being my wedding and i still really dislike how fake i looked in the pictures)

Old 09-23-2012, 08:16 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I guess the wording just threw me. I don't think of makeup as serious. It's just make up. But I understand not wanting a young girl to look overly made up.
Yea, no problem. It was my own made up wording so I understand if it was confusing.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:10 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
The big deal in 7th grade for us was maybelline colored mascara, yardley lip gloss in a pot, and loves baby soft!
Ha on the Love's Baby Soft....got me remembering those oversized lip gloss tubes by Bonne Belle - Lip Smackers. Popular in flavors like Dr. Pepper and 7:Up....Thanks for the flashback!

Old 09-23-2012, 09:30 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
My daughter always played with make up. Lip gloss. Nail polish. She started wearing it more in Junior high school, to cover up those sits.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:32 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Ha on the Love's Baby Soft....got me remembering those oversized lip gloss tubes by Bonne Belle - Lip Smackers. Popular in flavors like Dr. Pepper and 7:Up....Thanks for the flashback!
NP! It is back on the shelves, ya know.....

Old 09-26-2012, 11:49 AM

331 posts, read 603,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My 9 year-old just loves make-up. She knows she cannot wear it to school, but out of school it's just not on my list of major concerns. She does sometimes look like Tammy Faye, but I don't really care. She doesn't look like a wannabe 16 year-old, she looks like a 9 year-old who has been messing around with make-up.

^^^^ My daughter(elem. school) enjoys make-up as well, sometimes she "over does it", but mostly she does well, a little lip gloss and eye shadow and sparkle body sheer!!!! I also don't allow her to wear anything but lip gloss(which she carries with her) to school. By the time middle school comes around, I can't see it being a battle b/c I have never made it a big deal, as long as it's appropriate. They have to grow up and make their own decisions. There are many things I'll "go to battle" on, but make up isn't one! It's just not one of those "serious" issues to me.
Got to pick your battles wisely!!

Best wishes to you!!

Old 09-26-2012, 12:49 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Not much of an issue in our household. We started out with a rule. I thin it was 16, but they never really wanted to wear makeup. They woudl wear it for a school play, halloween or maybe a school picture, but then they wanted it off. One started wearing it occaisionally around 16 but only a tine bit. She piled it on at first and I said You look like a clown. THen I showed her how to apply makeup properly and explained how to use shadow and highlights to modify the look of her face in whatever way she wanted to. (I was in theater in HS and college). She continued to wear only a little bit of basic makeup (liner, eyeshadow and lipstick rarely. Her twin sister has never worn make up and is now 21. Her bofriend says he likes that he knows she is just pretty, not painted to look pretty. Our other daughter is 18 and has little interest in make up. She detests things she considers trendy or fake. So while we ahd some sort of rule, it was never relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting