Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 07:07 AM

15 posts, read 47,723 times

Advertisements

After teaching high school for eight years, I have seen the drama and "relationships" from the opposite side, wonderful parents. I think that this post is funny and a little edgy but the point is well taken. I also have to add that when your beautiful daughter goes to school, she is the one making decisions about who she walks by and who she eats lunch with. IMHO, if a parent hasn't taught a child their family's values by high school, he or she will figure it out by him or herself. And then you, the parent, have only reactive measures to take, whether positive or negative. But on the other hand, there are many young ladies in this day and age who are much more independent than my 80's generation counterparts.

In summation, time well spent in the younger years will pay off in the long run.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:10 AM

788 posts, read 2,111,347 times
that is soooo funny - we have a 12 year old girl who looks like she is 17 and it is pure hell folks. My husband is beside himself!!
aaahhh - just yesterday she was playing with barbie dolls - now she is the #$%^&*() barbie!
Life is wild!!

Old 10-07-2007, 10:43 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
I think it's hysterical.....anyone that doesnt probably has never had kids.......if ya don't have a sense of humor raisin kids....you're dead in the water......

Old 10-07-2007, 10:45 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
I might add....that these are ALMOST the same instructions I gave my g'son when he began dating.....with regards to the way you WILL treat your date. no exceptions....death is the only other option he still believes me to this day.......life is good

Old 10-07-2007, 06:04 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I was answering the OP the most honest way I could. I thought that's what online forums are about.
Are you someone who believes we are required to allow our children to express themselves regardless of the fact we know it is destructive?
Examples face piercings, tattoo's, the goth look.
All of these fads lead to things that are destructive.
Tattoo's Most employers look at a person covered in tattoo's and see noncomformist. They dont want the trouble and so dismiss the person out of hand. Is it fair? NO but it is reality.
Face piercings? Nothing more need be said.
The goth look? Same as the above.
Its not fair but it is reality. First impressions are lasting impressions. When your trying to land a good job everything matters.
Reality: Kids only know whats convienent. The look is cool today so they want it.
As parents we understand through life experiences what is best. Kids dont have the tools to make solid decisions consistantly.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:02 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Are you someone who believes we are required to allow our children to express themselves regardless of the fact we know it is destructive?
Examples face piercings, tattoo's, the goth look.
There was nothing in the OP about any of the above. There was something about baggy trousers, which I don't particularly like, but which is not worth mentioning in the same breath as violence against people who wear them, even as a joke.

Nearly the entire OP revolves, not around piercings, but around the curious, antiquated and sexist idea that teenage girls are supposed to remain virgins. I don't believe that, and I've always been thoroughly puzzled by people who do.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:15 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
There was nothing in the OP about any of the above. There was something about baggy trousers, which I don't particularly like, but which is not worth mentioning in the same breath as violence against people who wear them, even as a joke.

Nearly the entire OP revolves, not around piercings, but around the curious, antiquated and sexist idea that teenage girls are supposed to remain virgins. I don't believe that, and I've always been thoroughly puzzled by people who do.
The idea of teen pregnancy offends me. It offends me that it may very well ruin a teen girls life. Most teen boys are not man enough to become a father and as for a teenage girl she remains a child in most ways. Why allow them to ruin their lives? Be honest most and admit that most teen pregnancies end up ruining the girls future or atleast damaging it. As a parent it is in fact our #1 priority to do all that we can to prevent our children from making mistakes that will permanatly hamper their futures. TEEN SEX is a very fast way to do that. Pregnant in high school ? High drop out rate. How can the girl manage college if she must care for the child? Oh maybe her parents should do it? I have a better idea. Teach them to wait, teach them that boys will say anything to get that 1 thing a girl can only give once. Teach them that children can act like adults but seldom can make the solid decisions like adults. Kids dont understand the sacrifice of being parents. Even adults dont until they have kids. That is really the end of our youth.
For the record if my son got a teen girl pregnant he would for the first time learn to fear his fathers wrath. Because it would destroy or damage his future as well. Not to mention the impact on the baby who is at best an burden at worst unwanted.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:55 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Teach them to wait, teach them that boys will say anything to get that 1 thing a girl can only give once. Teach them that children can act like adults but seldom can make the solid decisions like adults. Kids dont understand the sacrifice of being parents. Even adults dont until they have kids.
An even better idea: teach them about contraception, and about non-coital ways to get one's jollies.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:59 AM

560 posts, read 2,188,101 times
We have 3 daughters... 13, 11 and 5. When this email first came out years ago my husband had it framed. He also says that when the girls start dating Friday night will be knife sharpening night and Saturday night is shot gun cleaning night. He also tells my girls that they can't date until they are 35. Does he REALLY mean any of this? Of course not, but he is trying to instill that healthy parental fear in them that is the little angel on their shoulder that counteracts the little devil on the other side. I know that the only thing that kept me out of some sticky situations as a teen was the fear of what my parents would do if they found out. Remember, dads were once teenage boys and they KNOW what those boys have in mind. My husband also says that if they ever bring a boy home and tell him that "he is just like you dad" he will slam the door in the boys face. It is just harmless teasing and it really is just in fun.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:16 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
We have 3 daughters... 13, 11 and 5. When this email first came out years ago my husband had it framed. He also says that when the girls start dating Friday night will be knife sharpening night and Saturday night is shot gun cleaning night. He also tells my girls that they can't date until they are 35. Does he REALLY mean any of this? Of course not, but he is trying to instill that healthy parental fear in them that is the little angel on their shoulder that counteracts the little devil on the other side. I know that the only thing that kept me out of some sticky situations as a teen was the fear of what my parents would do if they found out. Remember, dads were once teenage boys and they KNOW what those boys have in mind. My husband also says that if they ever bring a boy home and tell him that "he is just like you dad" he will slam the door in the boys face. It is just harmless teasing and it really is just in fun.
+1 on this post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting