Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,514 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of having some printed up.... I meet a lot of moms at the tot lot and in various activites. But sometimes, we're both juggling/loading up and strapping in kids and I feel kinda awkward "foisting" my cell number on someone, or asking for theirs.

It's the kind of thing I might have mocked in the past, LOL - mainly because I dislike defining myself soley as BabyGirl's mom, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 11:03 AM

229 posts, read 371,482 times
I think it's a cute idea. It seems like most of the time, when you meet a new parent it always feels so hectic to exchange information... either trying to find something to write your contact info on or punching in each others' phone numbers in your phones while juggling children and anything else you may be toting around. It sounds pretty efficient to me!!

Have you ever heard of or used Vista Print? When I used to work in direct sales, I used their website to make business cards... they run specials all of the time and one of their most common sales is where you pay shipping only and get your cards for free. It's worth checking out!

Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,480,193 times
I don't know...

Did you hand out "single and available" cards to guys you just met at the supermarket? JK - I know you didn't do that. But the Mommy Cards have a similar yucky feel to them. Although I can understand why they could be handy, if I was handed one of those cards by another mom it would make me feel kind of - does she give these things to everybody?.

I think a more personal approach - like a name exchange and a quickly jotted down phone number while the kids are playing on the playground would be better.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:22 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
I get the "ick" factor, but if you think about it, there is NOTHING wrong with a grown woman having "business" cards with her name and contact info on it. Just because it doesn't have a corporate logo on it doesn't make it any less useful.

In fact, they could be VERY handy with babysitters and teachers. Your info is always handy.

Just get some cards printed up in a style you like. No need to "mommy it up" or make it look juvenile, and whether you want to put just your name and contact info on it or continue with a small line that reads, "Mom to Huey, Dewey and Louie" is up to you.

There are a million websites that do it; I also have had great experience with Vistaprint.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I get the "ick" factor, but if you think about it, there is NOTHING wrong with a grown woman having "business" cards with her name and contact info on it. Just because it doesn't have a corporate logo on it doesn't make it any less useful.

In fact, they could be VERY handy with babysitters and teachers. Your info is always handy.

Just get some cards printed up in a style you like. No need to "mommy it up" or make it look juvenile, and whether you want to put just your name and contact info on it or continue with a small line that reads, "Mom to Huey, Dewey and Louie" is up to you.

There are a million websites that do it; I also have had great experience with Vistaprint.
O.k. - that would work. As long as there is no "Mommy - professional playdater" anywhere on the card!

Old 09-25-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I don't know...

Did you hand out "single and available" cards to guys you just met at the supermarket? JK - I know you didn't do that.

But the Mommy Cards have a similar yucky feel to them. Although I can understand why they could be handy, if I was handed one of those cards by another mom it would make me feel kind of - does she give these things to everybody?.

I think a more personal approach - like a name exchange and a quickly jotted down phone number while the kids are playing on the playground would be better.
I know it seems kinda weird but here's what seems to happen - I take my daughter to her classes/activites. At her age - they are parent participtaion - so all moms arrive at the same time. The afterwards, we're all scrambing to get shoes and coats back on, I'm getting my daughter her snack while trying to keep her corralled in the parking lot or into her stroller or car seat and the other mom is doing the same.

It feels kinda weird to me too but I've kinda came to the conclusion that I have to be a little more forward or outgoing that I'm normally... I'm an older mom and well, all my friends are working and non moms. I've recently -last couple weeks - made some new mom friends. But it was only because I finally bit the bullet at the playgorund and was like, hey - our kids seem to play together great , lets get them together - let me give you my number.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:04 PM

353 posts, read 905,483 times
If someone wants to be a "professional mommy" then good for them. I'm tired of this contempt for motherhood. That's why kids are growing up crazy and shallow, and women are spending their lives miserable. It's hard to enjoy the beauty of children and being a mother when everything around you is telling you that you are an idiot with no potential should you choose to be all about your family for a period in your life.

Get your calling cards, and put whatever you want on them. If someone wants to laugh, good. They probably needed a chuckle with their miserable self.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Yes, that's what I had in mind - my numbers and email address with a small "BabyGirls' mom tag. No cutsie designs or pictures of my kid.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:07 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
We have had personal contact cards for years now, no mommy stuff on them now. Saves trying to find something to write on.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I know it seems kinda weird but here's what seems to happen - I take my daughter to her classes/activites. At her age - they are parent participtaion - so all moms arrive at the same time. The afterwards, we're all scrambing to get shoes and coats back on, I'm getting my daughter her snack while trying to keep her corralled in the parking lot or into her stroller or car seat and the other mom is doing the same.

It feels kinda weird to me too but I've kinda came to the conclusion that I have to be a little more forward or outgoing that I'm normally... I'm an older mom and well, all my friends are working and non moms. I've recently -last couple weeks - made some new mom friends. But it was only because I finally bit the bullet at the playgorund and was like, hey - our kids seem to play together great , lets get them together - let me give you my number.
Those classes can be a great way to meet other moms. You get a chance to see how the moms interact with their own children and you get to see which kids your child naturally gravitates to. If you see a friendship in the making I would definitely hand the mom a personal contact card and suggest getting together for a playdate. Nothing wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting