Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Hey, you said TV shows! I changed my post about The Land Before Time for being off-topic. ;-)

Are they up to "The Land Before Time XII: The Industrial Revolution" yet?

Well, they come out with a new one so often it basically IS a show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 03:18 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
My Toddler loves the part of Planet of the Apes where the apes go running across san fransico. That is the only part I've let him watch (stop it well before any gunfire). Just a bunch of apes running through a city, throwing a few spears. . .no one gets hurt until later

My wife isn't a big fan though, because of the movie rating.

I'm like the movie, yes, but not this scene. Throwing speers and things at police cars was the worst that happen.

maybe i'm just bad

Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 PM

708 posts, read 878,469 times
I always liked Arthur, I'm not familiar with the episode described in the OP.

I've never been a big fan of iCarly. Any show where the hook is a missing or bumbling parental figure...those get old. The show definitely comes across as mean spirited.

There used to be this show called with Derek on the Disney channel I never cared for. Blended family where the parents mostly ignore the jerky stepson....but hey as long as the parents were happy, who cares about the kids.

My kids are of an age where I don't worry so much about inappropriate content. I used to hate it though when there was a show or movie that was marketed towards younger audiences, and turned out not to be entirely appropriate.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:57 PM

708 posts, read 878,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

I've said it before on here: I have a MUCH bigger problem with the rampant consumerism behind all Disney shows. The absolute worst are the shows on Nick and Disney in which the lead characters are performers, as if that's the only career goal for kids anymore: from ol' Hannah Montana to Austin & Allie, Shake it Up, Big Time Rush, ANT Farm, etc.

I agree with this. Not sure if I'm saying the same thing as you, but it is as if these shows are simply vehicles to groom kids to like a certain star, like Demi Lovato, who says she is a role model for young girls...really?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,881,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Haha, I was going to say Caillou! I also don't like Elmo, Oobie, or any character that speaks in goofy baby talk.

"You. Oobie. Frrrrriend. Grandpoo LOVE Oobie."

I remember one Dora episode where she and Boots had to "save the puppies" from the "evil dog catcher." At the end of the journey, they rescued the puppies and set them free. Yay, stray puppies! Good things we saved them.
I hated Oobie as well.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:14 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,881,741 times
Has anybody ever saw the show "Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends"

I thought that show was perfect for children.
It may seem dull but it always taught a lesson of respect for others, how to interact with others, not to judge.

That show was great until HIT entertainment took over.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
We love Arthur in our house and watch it all the time. I think you completely missed the point of that "dog vs. cat scene." It shows the effects of peer pressure, and the main "bully" character, Binky, comes back and apologizes to the cat owner, Francine, for saying the dog could eat her cat because he "has" to say that stuff when the other "Tough Customers" are around.

No, the kids did not go get a parent because, like in Charlie Brown shows, the kids in that show are more independent than most actual kids. Realistic or not, how many 3rd-graders are allowed to walk and bike all over town these days and hang out at The Sugar Bowl like it's a local bar?? IMHO, Arthur is an intelligent, creative show that explores challenges involved in all kinds of relationships.

I've said it before on here: I have a MUCH bigger problem with the rampant consumerism behind all Disney shows. The absolute worst are the shows on Nick and Disney in which the lead characters are performers, as if that's the only career goal for kids anymore: from ol' Hannah Montana to Austin & Allie, Shake it Up, Big Time Rush, ANT Farm, etc.

If you want to over-analyze, I always bristled at the inherent political bias on Little Einsteins, in which the bad guy was a military jet.

And I have no tolerance for any kid show that talks about how "hot" people are.
Ya, my 9 year old wants to be a "famous singer" or be on the Disney Channel when he's older now I didn't mind Caillou, but we're past that now. I like Phineas and Ferb. Sponge Bob is ok, but the characters are just so stupid... That's why I'd prefer they watch P & F. I don't mind Good Luck Charlie. I also don't like the stereotypes on these shows. The nerds always have braces and wear glasses. My son wears glasses. I don't want him to see himself as a nerd.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:18 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
I can't stand most of them. That's why I don't watch them.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:30 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned Barney. Does even still come on?

Scooby doo is the worst show ever made.

But if we are talking little children shows,I cannot stand this Finnish based show called Pecoyo?
I detest the new Carebears show,the artist formely known as cookie monster(now the veggie monster),and Little Bear.

I do love Franklin,the Wonder Pets,and Mr. Rogers.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:56 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times
Mr. Rogers will always be the best. Have y'all seen that awesome YouTube mash-up video someone recently did, as an homage to MR. Rogers?
Mister Rogers Remixed | Garden of Your Mind | PBS Digital Studios - YouTube he would have loved it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting