Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 08:56 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Shows that I watch with the kids:

Spongebob
Phineas and Ferb
Beakman's World
The Brady Bunch
The Electric Company
Word Girl

There are others they watch alone because I personally don't like them.
Oh I LOVE Phineas as Ferb, that's hilarious. I didn't mention it because I consider that a big kid show as opposed to a preschooler show, but I agree with you there. Spongebob can be funny too, and I'm not ashamed to admit some of the earlier ICarlys have made me laugh out loud. I do like Electric Company and Good Luck Charlie. I've found I can tolerate more of the tweener shows than I could the preschooler ones, though most of it is still pretty dreadful. But the well done ones are quite cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 09:56 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How does Sesame Street show Elmo being irresponsible with the fish??
Goldfish don't belong in bowls. They get very big and need a proper tank with a good filter. The other issue with goldfish is that they're very, very dirty, more so than other fish. Without a filter, the waste builds up quickly and burns their gills and causes organ damage.

Just because a fish can survive in a bowl for a time doesn't make it a good environment. People think common goldfish have short lifespans, but that's only because we kill them by keeping them in tiny bowls. They can live to be over 20 years old.

On a different subject, for older kids I think Adventure Time is a great show. I laugh every single time I watch it. It has a wonderful surreal sense of humor

Old 10-06-2012, 03:36 PM

191 posts, read 163,598 times
I never liked Blue's Clues. I liked LazyTown, though. Guess I'm just peculiar.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:35 PM

353 posts, read 580,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I HATED Yo Gabba Gabba with a passion! I'm so happy my dd has moved past that dumb show. I really didn't understand the concept or the weirdness of it, all I saw was a man in orange spandex dancing around and some strange creatures with extremely annoying voices.

Now my dd likes shows like Shake It Up, which is worse. I'd rather watch creepy, strange, alien like creatures and a grown man in speedos than some sassy mouthed, bratty kids.
That cracked me up!!!

Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
My kids are deep in thier big kid TV phase now but man, I hated Caliou with a passion. Little whiny snot.

Yo Gabba Gabba, on the other hand, was one big dirty in joke for adults. I mean seriously. There was a big red talking penis! It even had a vein up the back! IT WAS COVERED IN BALLS. It only has one eye, so it was literally a ONE EYED MONSTER! LOL. Not to mention one of his little friends was shaped like a furry vibrator. Party in my tummy indeed. That show had me laughing for days. You just knew it was invented by a bunched of stoned ravers while tripping on exctasy.

But my kids loved it. LMAO!

Victorious has to be one of the dirtiest kids shows on the air. That one I had to ban, my kids are old enough now that they might start understanding some of this stuff. A lot of these tweener shows are just plain mean as well. Lots of bullying and mean comments to fat people, nerdy kids, and people labeled "dumb", even from the protagonist. That part was a surprise.

I like Phineas and Ferb a lot though.
Ummmm, at least one of the creators of the show is very straight edge. I don't know about the other one, though. The guy is from The Aquabats, so of course the show is going to be a bit strange.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,881,741 times
Did anybody ever see the show called Bunnytown or HigglyTown Heroes?

I hated those as well. Espically the latter one, I hated how the characters would bounce all around lot little wobble weebles.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:30 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
I LOVE Phineas and Ferb. DH and I have actually watched that show even when DD fell asleep at the beginning. It is hilarious.

I am surprised no one mentioned Oswald. Is that still on? What were the creators on when they came up with that show? A big blue octopus that has a hot dog for a dog. Is friends with a daisy and a penguin, there are a couple of eggs. I don't know. Every time that show would come on, I would stare at the TV trying to make it make sense.
I really want to know what those people were on.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:39 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,068 times
If i ever have kids its going to be the discovery channel, and the speed channel, i refuse to watch these idiotic kids programs.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:43 AM

1,436 posts, read 1,881,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I'm the same with finding the trains' faces kind of creepy and off-putting. But there's also a rather disturbing undercurrent on that show. The engines know that they can be 'scrapped' when they are not useful, or even just if their owner tires of them or replaces them. There's an episode where a little tractor is going to be scrapped because he's too old-fashioned, but one of the trains gets him basically adopted into a new family and saves him. But just that idea that these sentient machines are completely at the mercy of their masters and can be melted down when they are no longer useful is pretty horrifying. Along with rusted out skeletons of trains being shown...that's like just having human carcases lying around.

There's another engine who was known for being careless and having a lot of spills, so they 'made him useful' by making him into a generator and leaving him alone to function. Think about that....he wasn't useful, so they basically amputated his moving functions and trapped him in a situation from which there is no escape.

Family fun!

I went on and watch several of the Thomas and Friends episodes and now see what you mean. The one about Smudger, the little engine who was turned into a generator was sad and I see what you mean.
I always wondered how the engines reacted as they were scrapped. It kinda makes me not want to see the show any more.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 PM

655 posts, read 1,127,887 times
This is such a good thread! Mine are finally past the "toddler" shows and are full on Disney right now. I cannot tolerate most of them. So glad that damn Victorious show is done....the girl on there that plays dumb (always misses the number 3 when she counts to 10?) and the other raging maniac bully made no sense to me on a TV show. What exactly are we trying to teach our kids? I also think that there is WAY too much disrespectful talk and/or attitude on these shows (Alex on Wizards of Waverly Place, for one)

Shake It Up is also annoying...that one girl (Rocky) needs to stop with the overacting and facial expressions.

I am so tired of Disney recycling these kids into other shows or making them into bands. I so agree with the other poster about how all these kids aspire to is being a triple threat in the entertainment industry. There are other things to do when you grow up!

The only Disney show right now that I find decent is Good Luck Charlie.

As for the younger kids shows....Caillou and Oobie should never be allowed to see the light of day again. My kids actually lost IQ points watching those. Why would we ever teach children to speak in the third person? "Oobie sad!" Caillou is the whiniest kid I have ever heard, real or imaginary.

So my opinion (not all inclusive):

Best shows
Little Einsteins
Wonder Pets
Miss Spider Sunny Patch
Good Luck Charlie
Phineus and Ferb
Franklin
Blues Clues
Mr Rogers

Worst Shows
Oobie
Calliou
Max and Ruby
Dora
Pretty much anything Disney
Gravity Falls
ELMO!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting