Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 06:58 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
SW will tell you that the plane is full and have even heard them say something to the effect, "If you have a lap child in a car seat, take them out of it." I think it was you who mentioned also that when they say it's full it's really not ... every time I've herad them say it's full, it's full!!! I'm surprised you've been able to get away with it. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with what you do but just saying you're right about how it's SW's decision. There's no way they don't know how many ppl are on a plane. That's why we have tickets.
1 - i've only flown without a ticket once, and asked the gate agent

2 - the above scenario seems to indicate SW is aware of people brining on car seats, have no issue, and have a policy for it.

I buy tickets because I don't want to take a chance my kid won't have a seat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 08:18 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Wow. hate to inconvince you with facts and risks.

Seriously. . .My KID hates tight seat belts, the Car seat is sooo tough . . .

Turn your kid into a flying missle . . .no sweat off my back (unless he hits me).
How exactly does he turn into a "flying missle" when he's attached to me via baby carrier? I fail to see your logic in that.

Regardless, I'm done entertaining you. Congratulations on being a condescending parent.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:29 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Is a baby carrier certified up to speeds of 180 miles an hour (landing/taking off speed). Only FAA certified safety devices (normally carseats and there is one other system CARES) are certified.

At speed, where most accidents happen, people can survive very easily. . .but babies can't be held.

And MOST people here aren't arguing about a front baby carrier. . .they are talking about infant items. I'm not sure if a front harness is even allowed on takeoff (though I don't know)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
How exactly does he turn into a "flying missle" when he's attached to me via baby carrier? I fail to see your logic in that.

Regardless, I'm done entertaining you. Congratulations on being a condescending parent.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:55 PM

353 posts, read 580,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
I will be travelling by myself with my 15 month old infant on my lap flying with AA from SAT to Vegas and back with Southwest airlines.

I am claustrophobic and prefer to sit on the aisle seat, if i check in early at the front desk, can they assign me an aisle seat?

Also, can anyone share some travelling tips.

I will be checking in her Graco car seat when checking in, I will be GATE checking her Graco stroller (before we step onto the plane).

Do I have to fold the bulky stroller and put it on the conveyor belt (no I do not have and will not purchase a cheap skinny stroller for my LO), or can I just carry her in one arm and push the stroller through the metal detector at security point?

With AA, will they give priority to disabled passengers and passengers with infants when boarding the plane?

Coming back with Southwest, is it FIRST COME FIRST SERVE when boarding the plane?

I have flown with 11 month old to Europe. Yes, I had a skinny cheap stroller and I gave my kid some Benedryl syrup. ( he had a little cold too). He slept on my lap most of the time. Get lots of blankets to keep LO warm. Good luck!

Old 10-06-2012, 05:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_fox13 View Post
I have flown with 11 month old to Europe. Yes, I had a skinny cheap stroller and I gave my kid some Benedryl syrup. ( he had a little cold too). He slept on my lap most of the time. Get lots of blankets to keep LO warm. Good luck!
No, no, no. Do not give a baby benedryl just to make him sleep on the plane.

Is it safe to sedate my baby for travel? | BabyCenter

Quote:
Certain medications that children sometimes take (most notably, the over-the-counter antihistamine diphenhydramine, or Benadryl) cause drowsiness in addition to their intended results, such as treating allergy symptoms. Diphenhydramine does have a long track record of safety and efficacy as an antihistamine, but some children get wired or hyperactive instead of sleepy when taking such drugs!

Even more important is that, with any medication, there can be dangerous side effects, such as a fast or irregular heartbeat, seizures, and changes in blood pressure. Because the risks of serious adverse reactions often outweigh the benefits, over-the-counter medicines must be used with caution in babies and young children.

I recently flew halfway across the world with an infant (a 20-hour travel day), and even though I'm a a pediatrician I briefly considered the idea that sedation might be a good thing. Ultimately I decided that any potential conveniences were not worth the possible health risks, however rare they may be.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No, no, no. Do not give a baby benedryl just to make him sleep on the plane.
For real. It's a person, not a toy you turn off.

As for the front carrier, when my youngest child was 23 months old, he was nearly 3 feet tall. If I had tried to put him in one of those, that would probably have counted as in-flight entertainment!

Old 10-06-2012, 06:06 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
I flew in July....The airlines are checking bulky things like that and sowing them. Didn't see anyone get away w/ what you're describing. Hopefully you'll be able to let your little one run around and get tired between flights...15mths is a hard age to entertain seated constantly. I saw most strollers parked outside the airplane door...and that's where you pick them up as you deplane. If I were you I would check the web page for your airline and research everything...than you have first hand info. One tip....whatever you do to entertain baby in car might work on plane. Good luck, safe flight.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
For real. It's a person, not a toy you turn off.

As for the front carrier, when my youngest child was 23 months old, he was nearly 3 feet tall. If I had tried to put him in one of those, that would probably have counted as in-flight entertainment!
Maybe yours, mine is used to being worn, so he rather enjoys the closeness. For me its easier on the plane so that way he can lay his head and sleep on my chest and i can sleep against the window and the carrier holds him in place. Although I guess i'm lucky, since my son was a little premature, he's only in about the 10th percentile for height for his age.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Maybe yours, mine is used to being worn, so he rather enjoys the closeness. For me its easier on the plane so that way he can lay his head and sleep on my chest and i can sleep against the window and the carrier holds him in place. Although I guess i'm lucky, since my son was a little premature, he's only in about the 10th percentile for height for his age.
Yes, I WISH the front carrier had been an option for us. If that works for you, it's awesome.

Couldn't do it with the twins, and by the time I thought of one for my third kid, he already was too huge.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:26 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,338 times
Quote:
I'm curious about something; if there is a possible crash landing, aren't you supposed to bend over and wrap your arms around your legs to brace yourself? How can you do that with a 15 month old on your lap, even if he is small?

Does your carrier have shoulder straps across your child's shoulders to keep him in the carrier in case the plane experiences turbulence? If not, then your child can become air-born in that case.

Quote:
So, tell me exactly how would I carry a seat alone on a plane? It wont fit through the aisle and would have to be carried over head and most flight attendants wont carry it for you.

In addition to pushing a stroller plus carrying a diaper bag through the terminal?

Sometimes the safest option is not always the easiest option.
Truth.
As the parent, you should put your child's safety above your comfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting