Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 03:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
One reason American kids are weaned before 6 months is because most moms go back to work. They can't nurse often and still work full time.

An interesting thing I am seeing are women who exclusively pump from birth. To me this is the best of both worlds and best of all the mom isn't the only one feeding the baby.
Sorry, but pumping is a pain... I am very glad I did not do that from birth.

Bonding is also important, so the early months are best for exclusively breastfeeding. I have nothing against people who want to pump, but I don't think it gives MOM the best of both worlds or baby for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 03:52 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Bonding is also important, so the early months are best for exclusively breastfeeding. I have nothing against people who want to pump, but I don't think it gives MOM the best of both worlds or baby for that matter.
But what about Dad? He needs to bond too and when she is exclusively nursing he doesn't have the chance to feed baby. However the baby getting the breast milk is important, it shouldn't matter how they get it. Besides some people are squeamish about this. I am, I am very strange about my breasts and the idea of feeding a baby from them is odd for me because of my history. That aside the fact is when mom is the only one doing the nursing she is doing it a lot and it can be too much for some. I suspect for me it would be as I tire easily. I don't have kids and no idea what I would do, but suspect I would either pump or do a combo breast/bottle feed.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:56 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Quote:
One reason American kids are weaned before 6 months is because most moms go back to work. They can't nurse often and still work full time.
While it is true that going back to work is a common reason why American babies are weaned early, it is also not necessarily a barrier to nursing older children. I am a mother who works full-time and nurses my kids for years. In fact, of the other mothers I know who have nursed their kids to 4 years or more, most of them worked full-time outside the home while doing it, one was a single mother, and another was a functionally-single mother for 1.5 years of it. Working outside the home certainly doesn't make it *easier* to breastfeed, but there isn't a dichotomy where you either breastfeed *or* you work.

Quote:
An interesting thing I am seeing are women who exclusively pump from birth. To me this is the best of both worlds and best of all the mom isn't the only one feeding the baby.
I have known a few moms who have exclusively pumped. They did not do it by choice - they did it because their babies wouldn't latch for various reasons (ie cleft palate). And they hated it and wished they could just nurse. They felt that exclusively pumping was actually the worst of both worlds, not the best. They also could only keep up supply until about 9-10 months before having to supplement and then fully transition to formula. I have known people on the internet who have been able to EP for a full year, but not in person. Pumping is HARD.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:57 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Hehehe another thread with everyone talking about bewbs.

Hehehehehehe

Carry on.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:20 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:

When people complain about how hard breastfeeding is, I shake my head. Getting started can be hard. But I thought nursing was WAY easier. No carrying around a bottle, heating the water...

Old 10-11-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
But what about Dad? He needs to bond too and when she is exclusively nursing he doesn't have the chance to feed baby. However the baby getting the breast milk is important, it shouldn't matter how they get it. Besides some people are squeamish about this. I am, I am very strange about my breasts and the idea of feeding a baby from them is odd for me because of my history. That aside the fact is when mom is the only one doing the nursing she is doing it a lot and it can be too much for some. I suspect for me it would be as I tire easily. I don't have kids and no idea what I would do, but suspect I would either pump or do a combo breast/bottle feed.
Dad can have plenty of bonding time with the baby. My dh often carried my kids around when they were infants and talked to them. He cuddled with them a lot. He got to feed them when they started solids.

While I agree that it is fine for someone who wants to pump, pumping is not the easy way to go. Also, babies are efficient at getting breast milk from the breast and at regulating the amount. Pumping cannot do that.

I would suggest that you attempt it when the baby is born. Some people have problems, but really it is a lot different than you think. If you really dislike it, then stop, but give it a try, you might feel a lot differently once you start.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
When people complain about how hard breastfeeding is, I shake my head. Getting started can be hard. But I thought nursing was WAY easier. No carrying around a bottle, heating the water...
Me too. I could take my babies with me anywhere and not have a lot of gear. That *in arms* phase was just so much easier with nursing. There are so many cool ways to carry babies around and you can nurse in many carriers.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:55 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:

Exactly how I feel. Pumping is hard work. I would not want to do it unless I really had to.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:02 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
The child in the video is 7, not 8 and she weaned prior to turning 8. If you look up the mother's name and read her response that is what she will say. 7 is still within the biological range of normal.
Insanity. Normal for people who have no other access to food....not normal whatsoever for a country that throws away tons and tons of food each year.
I must go, I think my college student is hungry...maybe she wants some boob.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:31 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Insanity. Normal for people who have no other access to food....not normal whatsoever for a country that throws away tons and tons of food each year.
I must go, I think my college student is hungry...maybe she wants some boob.
whatever you say, sweetheart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting