Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 02:06 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You haven't been following this thread. People have been comparing weaning ages to chimps and other primates.

I am going to talk to my daughter, the genetics person about this 96%. Right now, I know it's the 4% which makes us NOT CHIMPS.
It only came up because of this question in post #210:

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I would be curious to know if there are any other animals who continue to feed off Mom after they are able to feed themselves.
Not because anybody was motivated to model their parenting methods off of chimps. We were talking about biological norms vs cultural norms with respect to weaning age and what can be considered normal or deviant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 02:09 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Old or young, a child's mouth is still much more efficient than a pump
He was all freaked out over it being weird, etc etc. once they're a toddler you're not really concerned about volume. I'd like to see someone try and pump for the first time when their child was three or four. I wonder if you could even get anything? I could hand express a few drops for conjunctivitis, that was all.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:17 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
When I ask my toddler if she wants to eat, drink or have a hug or kiss I sometimes get a "yes" and sometimes a "no". When I ask her if she wants to nurse, the answer is always "yes", most often accompanied by giggling, jumping up and down and clapping. I somehow don't think she'd give that same response to expressed breast milk in a cup. There's something unique and special about nursing and if you've ever nursed a toddler or an older child, it's crystal clear and quite wonderful to behold.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
The 96% of genes that we share with chimpanzees is very significant. I think the comparisons laid out in the research linked are fascinating and easily comparable.
Ok, I said I would talk to my daughter (BF till age 2, BTW) about this and I did. She has a degree in biology with an emphasis on genetics, is currently doing a practicum with the Colorado Newborn Screening program. I asked her about this 96% of genes shared with chimps and she said it's really more like 98%. She went on to say that we share about 96% of our genes with mice and other small mammals. Just for everyone's information!

Old 10-25-2012, 12:16 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,928 times
Directed towards the OP…

Breast feeding is normal period. IT IS BENEFICIAL for the child and the mother..and there are many studies as to why..

1 Colostrum- aka mothers milk is beneficial as many drs have stated..in order to pass on to our children the right amount of nutrition as well as antibodies…
This is passed between mother and child in the first 6 weeks..

ANYTHING other than 24 months? Wrong…
Shoving breastfeeding off onto society is WRONG..
No one needs to see your boob or you feeding your child period be it natural or not. Natural is feeding the child the essentials it does not state in what environment is natural.

When my son was 6 weeks old and was hungry and we happened to be in a greasy spoon? And I knew he nursed for 10 minutes before dozing?
I stated to my husband at the time what I wanted to eat and drink and went to the car and pulled out my boob with a burping cloth over it and exerted some modesty for pete’s sake..

I was not nor am I ready to allow some stranger get a full view of my mammories period…ick..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting