Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 03:05 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Nobody is using it to SCORE points. I posted the link because it shows what can happen when you let a kid loose on the internet.
No-it shows what can happen if you let your child go out without knowing anything about where she is going, or what she is going to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 05:58 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
Quote:
Nobody is using it to SCORE points. I posted the link because it shows what can happen when you let a kid loose on the internet.
So, she was chatting with them on FB. She goes missing 3 days later, and you are saying it HAS to be that conversation that caused it. Do you think that there is the slightest possibility that she could have been out riding her bike and they saw her and talked her into coming over? Which is something that could have happened even if she had never even heard of the internet.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:08 PM

885 posts, read 1,881,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
So, she was chatting with them on FB. She goes missing 3 days later, and you are saying it HAS to be that conversation that caused it. Do you think that there is the slightest possibility that she could have been out riding her bike and they saw her and talked her into coming over? Which is something that could have happened even if she had never even heard of the internet.
If you read up on this, you'd see it was started on facebook, then it moved to texting. etc.

No they didnt see her out in real life and talked her into coming over.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
If you read up on this, you'd see it was started on facebook, then it moved to texting. etc.

No they didnt see her out in real life and talked her into coming over.
You were there? If so, please go to the police as I am sure they can use any information you have.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
You were there? If so, please go to the police as I am sure they can use any information you have.
Ok now you're just being silly.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
How is that any more silly than connecting posts that were several days old with the event. I honestly thought that only journalists who were reaching to find a story did that.

A few day ago I posted bout the wind blowing sand in my eye and making it hard to see. If I get into an accident tomorrow, can I blame it on the wind a few days ago? Just because it was on the internet so it must be true?

Old 10-28-2012, 09:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
No. This is extremely tragic and serious stuff. And two people have been charged. You, however, have already tried and convicted them. (Last time I looked we still had a judicial process in this country and they were innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.)

But why let something like that interfere when you've decided and are posting that this innocent child was killed by them because her parents didn't monitor her FB use. In fact you've decided that FB and her parents share the blame. So you've posted her photo and pretty much declared "Guilty By Facebook! I'm right. I know things about what happened!" (Even though the investigation isn't complete and there's been no trial. And the last we knew you didn't work for the prosecutor's office.)

Get it yet?

Old 10-29-2012, 11:57 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,313 times
If the parents had been monitoring the child's facebook & phone they would have known she had contact with people who were not an appropriate age & possibly could have prevented this tragedy. Is it possible the girl would have been targeted & attacked by the boys without the help of social media? Maybe. But they obviously used the internet/phone to groom her. The point is that parents should be aware of the potential danger in *not* checking for these things.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:46 PM

I think the BMX bike connection is stronger than the FB connection. He was lured there on the premise of getting parts for her bike. FB was just one of the tools used to communicate.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreefoldme View Post
If the parents had been monitoring the child's facebook & phone they would have known she had contact with people who were not an appropriate age & possibly could have prevented this tragedy. Is it possible the girl would have been targeted & attacked by the boys without the help of social media? Maybe. But they obviously used the internet/phone to groom her. The point is that parents should be aware of the potential danger in *not* checking for these things.
It's not even that.

If they were actively watching over her internet use and following the guidelines that most law enforcement agencies outline it also could have been prevented.

1. Know who your kids are talking to online.

2. No phones or laptops in their bed rooms over night (ie. no chance for her to be on facebook at THREE AM ON A SCHOOL NIGHT)

3. Talk to your kids about their online persona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting