Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I only would tell her to shoot if she had used the gun before and knew how to handle it. Most guns would be heavy for a child so young, not to mention how they kick back when you shoot them. Many people are killed every year with their own guns. I would have the child get out of the house as quick as possible.
Most 12 year olds are about as big as an adult. The Glock 22 (used by the girl in the story) is definitely not too heavy for a big kid like that. It does have some kick to it but it's not going to jump back and hit you in the face, like those youtube videos you see of the small women firing a desert eagle.

The gun my 10 year old uses most often at the range is heavier than the Glock and she has no trouble standing there holding it for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 12:10 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
From video, the nearest home to where this child lives is at least a hundred yards away. The girl was home because of a school holiday and the invasion happened about mid morning. It's fair to say that her mother knew none of the nearby neighbors were at home. The neighborhood is flat terrain and the area around the home does not even have any trees or shrubs to hide behind. If she left the house, there was nowhere for her to go.

The girl's mother made the decision for her to get the gun and hide in the closet.
If she had run out a back door or window, chances are that a 300 pound man would have some difficultly catching her, if he even saw her at all.

She was EXTREMELY lucky that the guy did not have a weapon and simply shoot through the closet, and that she actually hit the guy. Even someone trained in using a gun is going to be very lucky if they actually hit a target they can see with a handgun; she was shooting blind. Shooting at a person is very different from shooting at the range. If the gun had jammed, if she had missed, if the guy shot her instead, she would be trapped inside her house.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:19 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
If she had run out a back door or window, chances are that a 300 pound man would have some difficultly catching her, if he even saw her at all.

She was EXTREMELY lucky that the guy did not have a weapon and simply shoot through the closet, and that she actually hit the guy. Even someone trained in using a gun is going to be very lucky if they actually hit a target they can see with a handgun; she was shooting blind. Shooting at a person is very different from shooting at the range. If the gun had jammed, if she had missed, if the guy shot her instead, she would be trapped inside her house.

Since the girl's mother knows the neighborhood and the house better than we do, I'll just defer to Mom's judgement.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:20 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Looking at news video of the incident, the house looks like it's out in the country with only a couple of other houses nearby. Chances are there wouldn't have been a lot of neighbors home at that time and the intruder probably had a vehicle. He would have chased her down.

I still think what she did and what her mom told her to do was the best choice in a bad situation.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:54 AM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Looking at news video of the incident, the house looks like it's out in the country with only a couple of other houses nearby. Chances are there wouldn't have been a lot of neighbors home at that time and the intruder probably had a vehicle. He would have chased her down.

I still think what she did and what her mom told her to do was the best choice in a bad situation.

You know I agree. In some cases,you don't know what's best. Shooting could very well have been the best option in this case. The intruder isn't a small man, he could have very well had the upper hand on her, had she not shot.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:56 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Kendra St. Clair: Oklahoma Girl, 12, Shoots Intruder During Home Burglary - ABC News

Would you tell your child to shoot a gun at an intruder if a gun was in the house?

While waiting for the police, she calls her mother and tells her who says get the gun and hide in the closet.

Would You Say something like this?

The little girl did shoot.
I guess it depends on whether or not you want to go to her funeral.

Personally, yeah, I'd tell her to blow him away. Because statistically speaking, the odds are that he is going to kill her and anyone else in the house.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting