Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 06:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Call me old fashioned, but I would prefer my kids socialize with their peers in person, and not over a computer screen slowly destroying their vision. Glasses cost $400+, mine cost $480 and i can only see out of one eye...I socialized with my friends in person, always, they came over, I went to their place etc. I literally see no good reason why my kids should sit in front of a computer, slouching, instead of being face to face with their friends, playing games, jumping in the pool, and TALK with their mouth, and not their fingers.
Wow -- $480 for glasses and you can only see out of one eye? It doesn't sound like socializing in person did much for your vision after all.

No -- I don't think an 8 year old should have an iPhone or iPod or iPad and certainly an 8 year doesn't need to be in chat rooms and have a fb page. I wouldn't go along with that either. However - a rotary telephone is technology -- every bit as much as a computer is technology so what difference does it really make? And I know kids who sit right next to each other and text messaging. If their parents don't care, I don't care but I don't buy my kids unlimited minutes or text plans, they only get that when they buy it themselves.

If a middle school kid wanted a fb page --- mine actually didn't - then I would wouldn't forbid it, it could be part of their computer time and I would monitor how they use it. None of my kids liked chat rooms so I was lucky there -- but then I keep the computer in a public area where anyone can see what's going on, that might have made them less likely to want to go to chat rooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 08:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
My kids will have a Social Media page when they graduate college.
I would love to know how you plan on accomplishing that.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:07 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha.

Omg that's epic, the children will also be virgins and never have touched alcohol either.
She'll also expect to pick their clothes at the store till they are married.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's up to you -- but many parents allow even younger kids to have a page but also have one and try to teach appropriate use of social media. Sometimes that's the whole point of being fb friends with your kid. My brother hates all the social media but he's got his own page now just so he can make sure his daughter is using it the way he expects her to use it. She can have a page but to be funny he keeps posting pictures of nuns on his.
After they turn 18 nothing is up to her.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:12 PM

And again bwahahahahahahahahahaha.

My mom told me what I could and couldn't do after I turned 18, but it didnt count, I didn't HAVE to listen, no legal obligation.

Once her kids are out and in college she won't be able to control a damn thing.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:37 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post

Omg that's epic, the children will also be virgins and never have touched alcohol either.
OMG! Like it's so terrible to not drink and be a virgin! Totally! :smack :

Old 11-04-2012, 05:58 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
Pretty simple, I use the only computer in the house for work. For one, second they use the computer in my presence, and I have pretty good re-search skills, so i will find out if they opened up a page on someone's computer. But I usually teach my kids to associate with kids with the same values, and not trailer trash with no manners. Sorry, we value things that are more important than Facebook. I realize how this must be hard to believe.

AND, besides that I choose to communicate effectively, and explain the pitfalls of getting into such trap. My kids have homework to do, and a lot of things outside the house, there is no time to sit on the computer wasting time like that.

There is a lot to do outside Facebook, and other social media crap, you should try it sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Old 11-04-2012, 06:02 AM

Obviously you grew up on a pasture.

Matter of fact I won't have to do that, because I taught them early what goes with what and not to wear what Jane whale does! Just like my grandmother taught me. I am very happy to have been born in Europe, and not pray to spandex, and skinny jeans on 300lbs ppl.

Unfortunately "parenting" today has lost quite a few definitions; part of parenting is to teach your kids what to wear, but again, when the only thing you could wear is spandex to cover the entire lot you're occupying, I can see why it must be hard to forward some decency to your offspring. I see it at Disney World all the time. Its quite embarrassing.

Quote:

Old 11-04-2012, 06:05 AM

What is indeed "EPIC", is the LACK OF PARENTING that's spread like the plague here in the US.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
After they turn 18 nothing is up to her.
Even after age 16, it can be hard because they have computers in the schools and libraries and of course their friends have them, all it takes is some friend with an iPhone or iPod who lets them borrow it.

That's why I think teaching proper use is better -- but to each his/her own. Also it's easy to insist that you know all about parenting when your child is only 8 years old. Sometimes it seems so easy and the parent believes that a 13 year old or 16 year old will be just the same as the child is at age 8.

I agree an 8 year old should not be in chat rooms or have a fb page -- I have no issue at all with that, I wouldn't allow it either and I doubt most 8 years would be interested. And not all teenagers are even that interested in social media but I know my brother who was the most adament against it has a daughter that's now in middle school and he's relented and decided to monitor and guide instead of outright forbid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting