Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times

Advertisements

[quote=djacques;26687360]It depends partly on their personalities and partly on what they are taught at home and how rigorously that is enforced. I would opine that what OP is describing is rather common, but it is not inevitable if parents choose to enforce something different.

Personally I teach that there aren't really good and bad words, that every single word is good at some times and not at others, but that some really ought to be avoided most of the time.[/quote

Excellent point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 09:38 AM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,355 times
It's typical for middle school kids to curse. It doesn't shock me or come off as surprising. It's just what they do. Does this cursing take place at lunch? Or in class?

If it's in class, the teachers should not be allowing such lanuage.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:46 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
My daughter just started middle school and has become friends with a bunch of boys in her class. She told me last night about how funny they were. She said they curse at each other so much, "but in a funny way". I said, "As long as they don't curse at you. You want to make sure they have boundaries." She said sometimes they jokingly call the girls *******. Is this the new generation? Is this typical? My daughter never ever curses and I don't think she will start, but I can't wrap my head around a boy ever jokingly cursing AT her. She said they mainly curse at each other. Thoughts? By the way, these are nice, bright, nerdy boys, not tough kids.
This usually happens when there is not enough adult supervision. When I was in school (the equivalent of what you call "middle school"), we were supervised by an adult 24/7 and if we used cuss words we went to the principal's office and our parents were called. Now days, children get away with murder and they know it. Why you would allow your daughter to be friends with people like this, is beyond me. Yet another reason why I am blissfully childfree.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-27-2012, 09:50 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I would certainly take their little butts to task if I ever heard them say that. Takes a Village...Tell your daughter that it is disrespectful.....Why does she think this is cute....What you accept you teach.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:11 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
There is a right and a wrong place for everything. If she doesn't cus at you then she knows the right and wrong place.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:54 PM

741 posts, read 1,679,009 times
Everyone in my house swears..I hate it..My son is in 6th grade, my daughter in 7th and they swear the least, but I still hate it..I swear like a drunk sailor, heck I AM or WAS a sailor (I was in the Navy), but I still hate swearing even though I do it. A few years ago I made a no-swear rule in the house..I even stopped..but then I quit smoking 2 years ago and that rule went right out the window because I went so psycho for a while when I quit smoking that I started swearing again..Atleast they dont swear around other people though (that I know of)..

Old 10-27-2012, 03:30 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
This usually happens when there is not enough adult supervision. When I was in school (the equivalent of what you call "middle school"), we were supervised by an adult 24/7 and if we used cuss words we went to the principal's office and our parents were called. Now days, children get away with murder and they know it. Why you would allow your daughter to be friends with people like this, is beyond me. Yet another reason why I am blissfully childfree.

20yrsinBranson

Since when could parents tell their children who to be friends with? Parents could prevent them from hanging out after school, or talking on telephones, but at school, you can't prevent a child from talking to a certain person or being friends with them.

Maybe kids would stop cursing if parents would stop.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:16 PM

317 posts, read 576,387 times
YES, very normal for any youngsters to swear, besides kids think its the cool thing to swear

Old 10-27-2012, 06:19 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Since when could parents tell their children who to be friends with? Parents could prevent them from hanging out after school, or talking on telephones, but at school, you can't prevent a child from talking to a certain person or being friends with them.

Maybe kids would stop cursing if parents would stop.
I guess if you raise your children right, you don't have to worry about it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-27-2012, 07:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
It depends partly on their personalities and partly on what they are taught at home and how rigorously that is enforced. I would opine that what OP is describing is rather common, but it is not inevitable if parents choose to enforce something different.

Personally I teach that there aren't really good and bad words, that every single word is good at some times and not at others, but that some really ought to be avoided most of the time.
I recall a Jr. High teacher of mine, back in the early 60s, saying that profanity was an indication of a poor vocabulary. Now I will admit that I use profanity, but I still think he had a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I guess if you raise your children right, you don't have to worry about it.

20yrsinBranson
Spoken by a non-parent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting