U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:54 AM

741 posts, read 1,024,625 times

Advertisements

Ok then. I have an across the street neighbor who has mentioned multiple times that they would "just love it" if I would bring our five month old over during trick or treat. So we did. The neighbor popped her head out, oooohed and ahhhed over the costume and then said "You can go now, I don't give candy to Trick or Treat babies".
Hmmm....I've always given out candy to the buckets held by proud new parents, I thought it was part of the social "deal".
And no, I'm not whining because I didn't get a mini Snickers bar! Just was wondering, does anyone else turn away babies/parents at Trick or Treat? If so, don't you find it awkward?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 10:01 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
The parents in our neighborhood want the ooo-ing and the ahhhh -ing more than they want candy. Even when it is offered, they decline.
When ours were that age, we did not expect or take candy on their behalf. DH DID take the can of beer when it was offered!

Old 10-30-2012, 10:38 AM

1,955 posts, read 3,626,274 times
Honestly, not getting candy for my daughter when she was that young did not bother me. Although I also did not take her door to door with me. She will be just about turning 2 this year so I think she will enjoy it more. I also never gave out candy to parents, but I see it as a holiday for kids to enjoy, not for parents to get candy on the kids be

Old 10-30-2012, 10:51 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,788,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Ok then. I have an across the street neighbor who has mentioned multiple times that they would "just love it" if I would bring our five month old over during trick or treat. So we did. The neighbor popped her head out, oooohed and ahhhed over the costume and then said "You can go now, I don't give candy to Trick or Treat babies".
Hmmm....I've always given out candy to the buckets held by proud new parents, I thought it was part of the social "deal".
And no, I'm not whining because I didn't get a mini Snickers bar! Just was wondering, does anyone else turn away babies/parents at Trick or Treat? If so, don't you find it awkward?
= First.World.Problem

Old 10-30-2012, 10:53 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
One downside to not giving out candy to babies is when your child is small for their age. At three, my daughter still looked like a one year old. People were saying, "Oh, I don't give candy to babies!" and she was saying, "I'm not a baby, I'm a little person!" That night I had to go buy a couple little bags of candy for her, because her sister got about five times as much as she did.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,139,816 times
I give candy to anyone who knocks on my door in costume or who says the words, "trick or treat". I don't care if they are 1 month old or 50 years old. Candy is cheap. Trick or treating is fun. I don't understand when people have weird rules about who gets candy and who doesn't. It's one day out of the year. Anyone who wants candy can have candy and if I run out of candy, I turn the porch light off and that's the end of it.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:55 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
If there's a bucket I put candy in it. I don't want this junk, take it.

Congrats on the baby!

Old 10-30-2012, 11:22 AM

741 posts, read 1,024,625 times
Yeah, I totally know this was a first world problem, its weird the small stuff one can think about during the day! At least its a break from thinking about fixing the roof after Sandy.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:42 AM

4,598 posts, read 8,632,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I give candy to anyone who knocks on my door in costume or who says the words, "trick or treat". I don't care if they are 1 month old or 50 years old. Candy is cheap. Trick or treating is fun. I don't understand when people have weird rules about who gets candy and who doesn't. It's one day out of the year. Anyone who wants candy can have candy and if I run out of candy, I turn the porch light off and that's the end of it.
Agreed. I even give candy to the teenagers that don't bother to dress up, but they have to at least banter with me as I say to them, "So what's your costume? Emo hipster kid? Nirvana band member?"

Old 10-30-2012, 11:47 AM

2,779 posts, read 4,494,552 times
Who cares? Go buy your own mini snickers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or