Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:47 PM

13,436 posts, read 15,337,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I agree with this advice. Apply anywhere and everywhere. Starbucks, McDonald's, Macy's, Target, the local homeless shelter even. Dress nice, go in person. I feel like this advice might sound obvious but I have a friend in a similar situation and I was shocked when she asked if she should e-mail her resume or deliver it in person when applying to a coffee shop.
That's exactly the point I was trying to make to the OP. Once she has a paycheck, any paycheck, it will give her confidence and frees her up to be out on her own. Right now, her son is holding her in derision because he is feeling off the lack of confidence. The employment may or may not help that, but it is a start. I've been working since I was in my teens at a variety of jobs. They varied from good to sucktastic. But I felt very liberated earning my way. No one could take that away from me. As a single mom, she has two choices -- and a homeless shelter isn't the best choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 02:58 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,846,179 times
Here's another place to start looking:

Jobs, Employment in Salt Lake City, UT | Indeed.com

I would also put up a flyer in your child's school and at the library stating that you are available for tutoring. If I remember correctly, you have an MBA along with other degrees. People also appreciate having an educated nanny, someone who could actually teach their children while taking care of them. In my city, people pay well for this.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:51 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,643,851 times
I agree with what people are saying here, although it may not be easy to get just any job with advanced degrees. Meaning, getting a job at Target or something similar -- being overqualified is a barrier to a lot of employment, especially when there is a lot of competition for any job. Potential employers may well fear that the applicant will quit as soon as they find a better job -- and that is likely an accurate assumption.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:34 AM

677 posts, read 1,532,648 times
operaphantom,

Please find someone to talk to about everything you're deaking with right now. Do this for you and your son. It broke my heart when I read that your son doesn't want to be alive anymore. That is so frightening. I'm glad to hear he has the school counselor to talk to but you need someone too.

I've volounteered at homeless shelters for many years. They are all unique in the population they serve and there aren't many that take children in my area. The few that do are women and children only and the dad, husband, must stay at another shelter. The sad reality is that some homeless people are addicts, or mentally ill, unmedicated and they self-medicate with alcohol and/or street drugs. This makes them unstable and it can be very frightening to adults that have never witnessed this type of behavior. It's not a good idea to put your child in this kind of enviroment if you have other options.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:28 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,846,179 times
And where is the OP? She disappears when given good advice.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:56 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,156,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post

Exactly.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:42 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,548,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I imagine she disappears because it's the advice she doesn't want to hear. I also believe it's the same reason why her and her mother have so many problems. I'm sorry but someone with her education level (if it's true. if anything she has stated is true.) would not have any trouble finding a job somewhere.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:44 PM

410 posts, read 1,517,924 times
Didn't disappear. Don't have regular internet access right now. Short story is I left my mother's apartment and took my son with me. I found out she had stopped taking her meds which explains some of her recent behavior. I will not leave my son in that environment. As far as looking for work, I have had many interviews but it doesn't go past that. Many do not like my background and choice of jobs. I have a counselor that is helping me look for work but they have been told that I was not offered a position because of my "seasonal work background" before I went back to school. Work is work....I don't get the big hangup on it being seasonal or not. Met up with a former coworker and found out they have been having the same problem as me when finding work because most of the places we worked at closed when they tore down the mall. I applied for all the fast food places, wal-mart, target, etc. and nothing. Many of the places in walking distance require you to be bilingual in Spanish. There are seasonal part-time jobs but so far nothing has panned out. I had an interview yesterday and the manager said I was old enough to be her mom. Not really seeing anything come out of that one.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:52 PM

131 posts, read 322,483 times
Living with your annoying mother is far better than jumping into the fire at a homeless shelter. You say you have trouble finding steady work....wouldnt it be better to just bide some time while your child lives in relative comfort at your mother's house? Surely it would be a much more comfortable environment than a homeless shelter.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-08-2012 at 06:25 PM..

Old 11-08-2012, 06:08 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,548,364 times
Have you thought about applying for jobs in different cities. If everything you've stated is true a fresh start would do you well. Get a job in a new city. Keep moving forward. Take down the rear view mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting