Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 02:21 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I call it giving the other parent a chance to do their job before you are forced to do so.
No, that's tapping them on the arm and saying "excuse me, it looks like you're needed up there". Or just doing it yourself. If you see the issue, you should deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 02:36 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
No, that's tapping them on the arm and saying "excuse me, it looks like you're needed up there". Or just doing it yourself. If you see the issue, you should deal with it.
Meh. Potato, potahtoh.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:09 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
We have so many of these retarded parents here in Brooklyn NY, that are so pre-occupied with their cell, that they aren't even paying attention to their children.
They cross streets here, and we have heavy duty traffic, and the parents heads are in the clouds, the children just walk all over. Mommy walks the carriage wile texting and wheels the baby right into the street, not a clue....

It is scary.
They walk down the street, the kids are halfway up the block and there is retarded mommy texting away, a million miles away.

people these days are so pre occupied with their phones that it is sickening already.

Oh, and BTW, if i saw a child in the way of danger and the retarded parent is on the cell either talking or texting, I am going to look the other way. But when the police come, I will be there.

some lessons are really learned the hard way.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
We have so many of these retarded parents here in Brooklyn NY, that are so pre-occupied with their cell, that they aren't even paying attention to their children.
They cross streets here, and we have heavy duty traffic, and the parents heads are in the clouds, the children just walk all over. Mommy walks the carriage wile texting and wheels the baby right into the street, not a clue....

It is scary.
They walk down the street, the kids are halfway up the block and there is retarded mommy texting away, a million miles away.

people these days are so pre occupied with their phones that it is sickening already.

Oh, and BTW, if i saw a child in the way of danger and the retarded parent is on the cell either talking or texting, I am going to look the other way. But when the police come, I will be there.

So, you'd rather a child die than helping him or her? Sick.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:55 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

It is scary.

Quote:
No joke. Be sure to drive by the funeral with a sign saying SERVES YOUR RETARDED MOMMY RIGHT.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:

I know that sounds really sick right?. But I live in a heavy duty urban area and see this all the time. people do not even look both ways when they cross a street here, it is amazing.

So yes, I stand by what I said, I am not going to say a word, not my child, not my responsibility.

Because if the parent is too busy talking on a cell or texting and not watching their child in a heavy traffic area, yeah, that's too bad.

I am not going to say anything, let the retarded parent that was texting or talking on the cell realize that their child's welfare was MORE important than their dumb phone call or text.

after the fact, I think they will 'get it' then.

oh well.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:38 PM

452 posts, read 898,253 times
If I was having to take my attention of my children to help another parent in NEW YORK, I would not help the other parent. I agree, I would not be checking in after the fact however when the police show up. Sometimes, when you help one person you take the attention away from your children and then in that split second you helped someone but now your children are in trouble (no where to be seen or out in the middle of the intersection). In this case people do need to put down the cell phone and take responsibility for their actions.

Like I said someone did not even know their son had drowned until the ambulance showed up if I could have I would have stopped the drowning (since my kids would not go into the water for a month afterwards) but I had my hands full with watching 3 kids, this lady only had 1.

Do not judge until you are put in the position of what if's.......JUST PUT DOWN THE CELL PHONES and watch your kids! (I believe everyone agrees on this). What did we do prior to cell phones? We took phone calls at home in the privacy of our homes or office. KISS-Keep it simple S______ especially when you are out with the most precious things that cannot be replaced.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3a's View Post
If I was having to take my attention of my children to help another parent in NEW YORK, I would not help the other parent. I agree, I would not be checking in after the fact however when the police show up. Sometimes, when you help one person you take the attention away from your children and then in that split second you helped someone but now your children are in trouble (no where to be seen or out in the middle of the intersection). In this case people do need to put down the cell phone and take responsibility for their actions.

Like I said someone did not even know their son had drowned until the ambulance showed up if I could have I would have stopped the drowning (since my kids would not go into the water for a month afterwards) but I had my hands full with watching 3 kids, this lady only had 1.

Do not judge until you are put in the position of what if's.......JUST PUT DOWN THE CELL PHONES and watch your kids! (I believe everyone agrees on this). What did we do prior to cell phones? We took phone calls at home in the privacy of our homes or office. KISS-Keep it simple S______ especially when you are out with the most precious things that cannot be replaced.

good post.

I mean the concept is so easy. If I was strolling my baby down a busy street such as we have here in NY, no,i would not be wanting to talk to someone on the phone, I would not distract myself from my child. My child is more important that a **insert laugh here*** phone call. please!!

I don't know why people find this hard to grasp.

I see young mothers all the time here, on the cell, walking the carriage, crossing the streets..

I see the idiot girl with the cell in her ear holding 2 laundry bags crossing a major street, totally oblivious to the world.
the list goes on. i have zero compassion for anyone that has any type of accident involving a cell phone, zero.

are these phone calls that important????????????????????????

Old 11-08-2012, 01:47 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
It is a policy which is strongly encouraged to be followed. What is your definition of a policy? I can't wrestle a parent to the ground and take their phone away and we are not going to kick a child out of school if their parent is talking on the phone at the carpool line. My other responses were to explain all the reasons we have the policy.You also stated that I had no right to judge your parenting by talking on the phone in a carpool line and I responded that yes I do think it speaks to the quality of parenting.

It's funny that you ended your other post by stating that you believe in courtesy and try to teach my kids by example?! Doesn't seem very courteous- let's ignore the teacher and the school's policy because they are dictating my phone use for 5 minutes.
My idea of a policy is something that is expected to be followed with clear known consequences if it is not. I would think that telling a parent what they can and cannot do, that has nothing to do with the safety of other students etc. would be a "Policy" that many parents would not agree too. I know it would not be something I would agree too. Your school can have all the policies it wants, if I choose to send my child there I will abide by the ones that pertain to school, safety etc.
Chances are I will not abide by the "policies" that tell me what I as a parent will or will not do on my own time. That is not being discourteous, that is me asserting my rights as a parent and reminding you the teacher and the school itself that there are boundaries when it comes to my children.

I have no idea what your school would kick kids out for but I am sure you have policies that are strictly enforced and come with consequences that parents adhere to because they are there for everyone's safety etc.

If I want to be on my phone in my car when I arrive to pick up my child from your school and I choose to not immediately engage my child in conversation, that is my right as a parent.
You do not have the right to mandate how I choose to interact with my child. Your obligation stops when you hand the kid over. Your first comment had to do with the child and your second comment had to do with how it made you feel. Either way, you can't mandate by "policy" how a parent engages with their child or with you the teacher when that parent is in their own vehicle retrieving their child.

I do believe in courtesy and feel it has gone by the wayside. However, no preschool teacher or administrator has the right to mandate how I choose to parent.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:26 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,485 times
It's all about balance. Living 350 miles from family I like how a cell phone can help us connect, especially during the power outages that occurred after Hurricane Sandy. Cell phone was the only way we could kee in touch.

But, I've seen a lot of moms who constantly *** on them. One mom I know gets out of her car talking on hers every day when she picks up her kids from school, grabs her kids and continues yaking while they get into their car. This is a daily occurance. And she talks so loudly (usually whining about something) that's it's obvious she's not discussing some family emergency. She almost got hit by another parent once because she walked right in front of his car, oblivious to everything but her cell phone.

I've seen parents ignoring kids on playgrounds, on hikes, and in one case on a black diamond ski trail where the parent got off the ski lift yaking on her phone and didn't look behind her to see if her child got off safely. Kid panicked and had to be guided down by the ski patrol. Another mom who was upset that our state passed a no driving while texting law last year ended up totaling her minivan in a traffic circle while texting and driving with her four kids.

I leave my phone in the car when I go to the playground and certainly when I take my kids hiking or skiing. Sure, I text my older kids since they like to communicate that way. But I think that the conversations they'll remember are the ones we have face to face, even the simple "How was your day?" ones we have after school or in the car.

Last edited by LisaMc46; 11-08-2012 at 06:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting