U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:16 PM

2,152 posts, read 5,932,614 times

Advertisements

I went to a Fall Festival today....bounce houses, face painting etc...my 2 daughters (4 & 2) were climbing up the tall bounce house with a slide and this boy, probably 7 or 8 decided to terrorize my kids at the top by pushing them down the slide and flat out scaring my 2 year old. His father was standing right next to me playing on his cell phone without a care in the world. I made a comment about "who's little boy is that" and he continued to text away.....it eventually was worked out and we all moved on but...

I see more and more people these days whether it's with their kids, at a restaurant, sporting events, concerts today glued to their cell phone and not paying attention to the world around them. It scares me to think that kids these days are growing up in an environment that promotes a lack of face to face communication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 10:02 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,368,599 times
Omg.
Dude, maybe he was texting his mother in another state to see how his father was pulling through after a heart attack.
Maybe he was reading about hurricane sandy and information about a town his family lives in since he hasn't heard anything from them in a few days.

And cell phones bring people together not push them apart, because of cell phones we can speak to people no matter where they are, anytime anywhere, my boyfriend at work, my grandmother in Tennessee.

It's here to stay, learn to love it.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:22 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,482,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Omg.
Dude, maybe he was texting his mother in another state to see how his father was pulling through after a heart attack.
Maybe he was reading about hurricane sandy and information about a town his family lives in since he hasn't heard anything from them in a few days.

And cell phones bring people together not push them apart, because of cell phones we can speak to people no matter where they are, anytime anywhere, my boyfriend at work, my grandmother in Tennessee.

It's here to stay, learn to love it.
The idiot on the cell phone should have had his eye on the his brat, instead of totally ignoring him because of his stupid phone. And if it was that important (and we all know what your idea is of important so it won't apply here), then he should have hauled his kid out until his business on the phone was done. Why a parent can't keep an eye on the kid and talk on the phone is beyond me. It's certainly not as difficult as walking and chewing gum at the same time.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-05-2012 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:59 PM

Uhm.
I rather my child be preoccupied if I were to find out news about the death of a family member.
All I am saying is don't judge, don't assume.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-05-2012 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted comment

Old 11-03-2012, 10:59 PM

11,618 posts, read 16,998,425 times
I love cell phones

Old 11-03-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I love cell phones
Shall you burn in hell for 1000 lifetimes!!!!

Don't you know cell phones are the devil and will make us stoic robots who never speak face to face...

Old 11-03-2012, 11:25 PM

11,618 posts, read 16,998,425 times
Thats why i love them. I dont have to speak with people face-to-face

Old 11-04-2012, 12:11 AM

11,151 posts, read 13,775,937 times
I saw many examples of this during my time in NYC. Parents riding the bus or train with a young child in tow would be plugged into some electronic device and completely ignoring his/her child. The little boy/girl was almost always huddled close to the parent, looking forlorn -- rarely was there any interaction between them.

It made me want to shake the parent and say, "Hey! Turn off that thing and talk to your child!"

(It may be different now, but at the time it was impossible to get a cell phone signal on the subway, so the parents were playing games or watching videos or something equally not earth-shatteringly important.)

Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 AM

10,852 posts, read 18,804,716 times
The nice thing is, most kids will listen to any voice of authority, at least long enough to get your kids away from him. Put on your best Bossy Parent voice, yell "No pushing on the slide," and the kid will stop.

And for the family-member-in-health-crisis theory, if every person who was doing something on their phone and ignoring the world around them had a family emergency, we'd have to be in the middle of a pandemic or some sort of end of days scenario. My husband is so engrossed in his phone that I have to text him to get his attention. His only crisis is when I choose to shop somewhere that doesn't have wifi...he can't walk into a store without pulling out his phone and checking for a wifi connection and then he grumbles the whole time, "How can they do business without providing wifi" etc.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:23 AM

452 posts, read 697,535 times
There is a time and a place for using a cell phone it should be looked at as if you were on the actual phone when around people. Ask yourself the question would you be ok having the conversation out loud? Another question would be if something happened to the children that were acting up or if something happened to the children that were on the other end whom would be at fault.

There was an incident where a child drowned in a local pool the mother never knew it was her child until the ambulance was there zipping up the body bag (she had been playing on her cell phone and thought it was the responsibility of everyone else to watch the child). Ask yourself this question whom is ultimately responsible for your child?

I have seen way too much in life to take life granted by being obsessed over a device to not enjoy life and the time we have on this earth with people one on one. This is my philosophy and I know it will differ from a lot of people on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or