Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 08:43 AM

448 posts, read 685,048 times

Advertisements

Eh. Kids are dumb. They do dumb things.

And when I mean "dumb", I'm saying it as they don't know any better. I know somebody will come in here and say "when I was 6, I was a genius, I knew better, and I was the most well-behaved kid EVER"! Good for you. But back here on planet earth, your average 6yr old doesn't know better. They do things to laugh and make their friends laugh.

Kids have NO FILTER at those ages. They pretty much do and say the first thing that comes to mind.

Of course, you should always teach your child right from wrong. But of course, kids will be kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 08:46 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
Eh. Kids are dumb. They do dumb things.

And when I mean "dumb", I'm saying it as they don't know any better. I know somebody will come in here and say "when I was 6, I was a genius, I knew better, and I was the most well-behaved kid EVER"! Good for you. But back here on planet earth, your average 6yr old doesn't know better. They do things to laugh and make their friends laugh.

Kids have NO FILTER at those ages. They pretty much do and say the first thing that comes to mind.

Of course, you should always teach your child right from wrong. But of course, kids will be kids.
Agreed and that's why when the act bad you have to check that bad behavior right there in the moment. Most humans will naturally test boundaries whether that is child or adult.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:56 AM

124 posts, read 186,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
You would tazer or pepper spray a six year old?

I think that the child is not well socialized, is aloud to run around the streets, and has few boundaries.

Also it sounds like you don't like it there since you referred to it as "ghetto" so maybe moving would be a good idea.
I know literacy is so 20th-century, but you may notice that I said I would not have done that, even if I had these weapons available.

I did move, and ghetto is a sociological description. I have also lived in all-white neighborhoods where meth was easy to find, where kids thought it was cool to run around with their pants hanging down at their knees, and where drug dealers were looked up to as if they were the Justice League of America.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:42 AM

331 posts, read 603,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conusmound View Post
I am a single father raising a teenage daughter. Until we moved last year, she and I lived in a small (six blocks x six blocks) neighborhood that might be described as "ghetto". We were one of very few white residents in the area.

One Sunday afternoon, I was walking home from the grocery store. There was a crowd of kids on one of the corners I passed, boys and girls, ranging in age from four to about 12. This was normal, especially in nice weather, so I didn't give them a second look.

A little boy, who was maybe six at the oldest, ran after me as I walked up the alley toward my back yard. He came up alongside me, giggling, and hit me on the arm with his fist, and ran away laughing. It didn't hurt, of course, but I do not understand what type of thinking, upbringing, peer pressure, or lack thereof would cause something like this to happen.

I'm not talking about the "respect for your elders" mantra we hear from the moment we can walk. I am more baffled by the utter lack of respect for another person. I taught my daughter you don't hit anyone, bigger, smaller, same gender, opposite gender. If they're minding their own business, hands off.

Several friends told me it was a pity I was not carrying a taser, pepper spray, or mace. ("That little thug wannabe needs to be taught a lesson, or else by the time he is 10 he'll be raping and killing people," one Facebook friend told me.) I wouldn't have used these--it would have taught that escalating violence is acceptable. I ignored the kid, but I'm not sure what I would/should have done.

^^^^I agree with many of the posters on here.. it seems like there is little supervision and may have been dared or wanted to make his friends laugh or whatever, but if he was being taught to respect others or have a little "what if" fear in him, then he wouldn't have behaved in that way. Yes, kids will be kids, but a little healthy dose of fear is good for kids.
You lived in the area a while..did you have any problems before or after that? Did you recognize the child? If his behavior was typical of the "norm" in your area then yes, I'd say it was a mentality in that area. If you never had any problems besides that one situation, I'd say it was more of kids being kids. Not giving ANY excuses or saying it's right or ok by any means....

Way off subject, but have to say; I admire you for being a sigle dad, stepping up to the plate to raise your daughter and I am sooo glad that ya'll got the chance to move away from that area(since you referred to it as Ghetto), hope you were able to move into a nicer area!! Kudos to you!!

Old 11-06-2012, 09:47 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Don't tase or spray a kid. The taser can actually kill a child or even an adult. Spray can leave someone with chemical burns that can lead to eye problems.

You should of just stood there and called the cops. Those kids probably dared him to do it and he was lucky it wasn't a totally crazy person who just retaliated without care.

At least you weren't this guy:
Jim Addleberger, Pittsburgh Teacher, Sucker-Punched By Teen Student (VIDEO)

To attack, or ignore would also be "ghetto". Calling the cops to teach a lesson= Non-ghetto. If you don't know the parents its what you should do. Not chase down little kids who are too stupid for their own good.
If no one ever taught them you can't expect them to just know. And if they never had consequences to modify their behavior they won't change it.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:54 AM

124 posts, read 186,236 times
I am not sure calling the police would have discouraged him. This is the kind of neighborhood where getting caught is half the fun, and where going to jail is almost bar mitzvah. To be arrested at so young an age would have made this little boy a superstar.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I am not sure calling the police would have discouraged him. This is the kind of neighborhood where getting caught is half the fun, and where going to jail is almost bar mitzvah. To be arrested at so young an age would have made this little boy a superstar.

Its about doing things the right way for you and them. If he wants to go have a bar mitzvah in jail let that happen. If he keeps doing it the parents can also get in trouble for neglect to supervise.

Lived in ghetto areas too and its just what you have to keep doing until they get annoyed with getting caught all the time.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:23 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Don't tase or spray a kid. The taser can actually kill a child or even an adult. Spray can leave someone with chemical burns that can lead to eye problems.

You should of just stood there and called the cops. Those kids probably dared him to do it and he was lucky it wasn't a totally crazy person who just retaliated without care.

At least you weren't this guy:
Jim Addleberger, Pittsburgh Teacher, Sucker-Punched By Teen Student (VIDEO)

To attack, or ignore would also be "ghetto". Calling the cops to teach a lesson= Non-ghetto. If you don't know the parents its what you should do. Not chase down little kids who are too stupid for their own good.
If no one ever taught them you can't expect them to just know. And if they never had consequences to modify their behavior they won't change it.
Do you honestly believe the cops would show up for that type of call in the ghetto? Really?

Old 11-06-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Do you honestly believe the cops would show up for that type of call in the ghetto? Really?
Yes considering its a recent youth trend to do that, film it and upload it online.

They have to. Loitering and assault. Age does not matter. Response time is always affected depending on where you live and what else is going on.

Here are they key words:

"I was just assaulted by a juvenile who is loitering with a group of other kids. The are hanging out on the street waiting for people to pass by. You better get here before they hit a woman or older person. No adult is watching them at all either. I think one may of been filming it but I am not sure. I just would hate to see someone who couldn't take it get hurt."

It just really depends on where you live and what the cops have on staff for coverage. And if that is a problem then you need to get involved with your community and figure out how to fix that.

Or you could just be ghetto and sit on your butt and wait for the world to hand you everything and put up with all the crap it does dish out.

Not caring and not attacking real issues in your community is ghetto. So if you let things go you are just a cog in the wheels of making your area ghetto through lack of action.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:47 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
I would have chased the little snot down. Not sure what I would have done if I caught him. Seems that if they dont fear the police they wouldnt be affected by your authority.

I once had a group of young boys that would ride bikes by my house and dare one another to use a stick and beat on my kennel to upset my rottweilers. One day I happen to be out and was able to run down the boy. I wanted to throw him in the kennel with the dogs but instead I took his bike and told him he could have it back when he brought his parents with him to get it and explain why I had his bike or we could call the cops now. Fortunately, his parents were good people and the boys never bothered my dogs again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting