Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 01:58 PM

11 posts, read 31,190 times

Advertisements

What do you like and dislike about your kids current daycare?

What do you look at when you choose a daycare for your child?

I don't like
- that our daycare does not have a web stream and they say it violates the privacy of other kids which I think is just an excuse.
- The curriculum is too vague.
- No perks like a parent night, or free holidays (and I know other daycares offer these) (I know I am picky )

I like
- the personnel
- The facility is clean.
- They try to accommodate your child's needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 04:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Free holidays? You mean they come to work on a holiday and watch your kid for free? Never heard of a day care that does that.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
She probably means paying a lower rate on weeks when there is a holiday. No daycares out here would offer that. Every week is the same price.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:38 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Free holidays? You mean they come to work on a holiday and watch your kid for free? Never heard of a day care that does that.
That one threw me too. Usually I have to pay them even though we are not there.
Dislike:
The fact that I have to use day care at all (not the day care's fault)
The days that they are closed for holidays (MLK, Black Friday, etc) that I still have to work. It is very hard to find alternative care on those days.

Like:
The fact that I found a group of people that I trust to watch my child. She will be 8 this week and has been going to the same day care since she was 6 weeks old.

They have great hours so I don't feel panicked if I am running a bit late leaving work. I have plenty of time to get there.

Summer activities. They work out great deals with children's museums, movie theaters, petting zoos, and a million other activities. They end up going on about 3 it 4 field trips per week and it only costs about $20 extra.

They genuinely care about my child.

There are too many "likes" to list.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 PM

11 posts, read 31,190 times
One daycare I went to offers a free holiday, meaning that even though it's a federal holiday they do not charge you for the days unlike other daycares. They told me they do it around Christmas time so the parents have more money in their pockets.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaS View Post
One daycare I went to offers a free holiday, meaning that even though it's a federal holiday they do not charge you for the days unlike other daycares. They told me they do it around Christmas time so the parents have more money in their pockets.
oh, got it!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:18 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
1) The staff genuinely cares about my child. They've created a warm, caring atmosphere and I feel comfortable dropping her off every day. If she's having a rough morning, they pick up on it right away and give her extra attention/affection.
2) Art, music, and outdoor time every day unless it's below 20 degrees.
3) Learning-through-play curriculum.
4) I get daily report cards listing the learning, fun, art, and gross motor activities my child did. On the back of the card is a personal note about what activities my child liked/didn't like, who she played with, and if the staff had any concerns.
5) The facility is spotlessly clean.

Dislikes
1) The menu. It's based on the school lunch program and has some funky combinations of food.
2) In the summer she comes home absolutely filthy from playing outside, but I guess that means she's having fun.
3) They have a good number of in-service days for staff training. I have to find alternative care, but still owe her regular tuition.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
My kids have outgrown all that now but they refused to be in day care, I had one as a back-up but they threatened that if I tried to put them in it on a regular basis they were going to climb over the fence and run away from it.

They had a babysitter who had a home-like environment which they didn't mind, even liked to go, and only a couple of other kids to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting