Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:06 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

I think this is a good idea but it should not be available without a great deal of education about what it does and what it doesn't do. how would we as parents educate our daughters so they don't give the pills to their friends, take it improperly or too often? To wait to go to the doctor (who gets an appointment for the next day?), get the RX filled might make it too late.

Back in the 60's when the Pill was first available it was impossible for single women and girls to get a RX for it. So we all knew married or older women who got the pills and sold them around high schools and colleges. no real instruction, education or physical. I often wondered how much damage this kind of unregulated pill peddling might have caused.

I hope I am brave and smart enough to have these pills on hand when my now 10 year old daughters might need them. And I hope our communication is as open and free as it is now.

Would you have these pills on hand in your house?

Girls need just-in-case birth control prescriptions, pediatrics group says - Vitals

Old 11-26-2012, 01:26 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Of course I would, for myself and for my daughter(s) when they are old enough. Probably around 16 or so.
I won't bury my head in the sand, teens have sex no matter how much you talk to them or keep track of their whereabouts.
One time could be enough..

Old 11-26-2012, 01:39 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
I suspect the teens who are going to need the morning-after pill are not the ones whose parents will make it readily available for them IYKWIM.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:04 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,082 times
The article cites that the most commonly cited reason for needing the morning after pill is due to condom failure. That statistic alone is sad because it shows that many teens are relying on condoms (which they can easily get without a parent) instead of getting hormonal birth control (which can be difficult to get but is more effective) or using both methods together. I agree with Zim that teens who need birth control are not the ones who will have an easy time getting it.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I suspect the teens who are going to need the morning-after pill are not the ones whose parents will make it readily available for them IYKWIM.
sadly you are probably right.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:07 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,235 times
I think this is a great idea. I had one in my drawer that planned parenthood gave me when I was 16 and my mom went CRAZY !

Mom: We dont kill babies in this house young lady ! If you make a mistake then you own up to it and bring that baby in the world to raise or to let another loving family raise !

Me: But mom read the paper it says it doesnt terminate an exsisting pregnancy"

Mom: I dont want to read that **** ! Get that baby killer out of my house NOW or you can go too !

Horrible experiance. Smh and she still thinks its a baby killer pill.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
The article cites that the most commonly cited reason for needing the morning after pill is due to condom failure. That statistic alone is sad because it shows that many teens are relying on condoms (which they can easily get without a parent) instead of getting hormonal birth control (which can be difficult to get but is more effective) or using both methods together. I agree with Zim that teens who need birth control are not the ones who will have an easy time getting it.
Yes.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:32 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think this is a good idea but it should not be available without a great deal of education about what it does and what it doesn't do. how would we as parents educate our daughters so they don't give the pills to their friends, take it improperly or too often? To wait to go to the doctor (who gets an appointment for the next day?), get the RX filled might make it too late.

Back in the 60's when the Pill was first available it was impossible for single women and girls to get a RX for it. So we all knew married or older women who got the pills and sold them around high schools and colleges. no real instruction, education or physical. I often wondered how much damage this kind of unregulated pill peddling might have caused.

I hope I am brave and smart enough to have these pills on hand when my now 10 year old daughters might need them. And I hope our communication is as open and free as it is now.Would you have these pills on hand in your house?

Girls need just-in-case birth control prescriptions, pediatrics group says - Vitals
I don't think you need to be particularly brave or smart to keep the pills on hand. It seems like common sense to me. And yes, communication is the key.

I'll do whatever I can to help my daughter avoid an unplanned pregnancy, including lots of discussion about the ramifications of sex, planned and otherwise, recommending abstinence, providing easy access to birth control and having the morning after pill on hand.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I hope I am brave and smart enough to have these pills on hand when my now 10 year old daughters might need them.
I hope you're brave and smart enough to teach your daughters some basic sexual morality so that they never need them.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:36 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I hope you're brave and smart enough to teach your daughters some basic sexual morality so that they never need them.
I presume you are talking about sexual morality WP-style, and not sexual morality as viewed by most other intelligent humans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting