Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 06:48 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I would ask CPS if you & your wife could take her in.
CPS has said that where she lives is entirely up to the mother.

New development: she's been thrown out of her home again, violently. She just called me in tears walking on foot to the police station again (in a city two hours away from here). Her mother took the money she was given by her aunt last night. Damn, I hate this. We knew this would happen. Her aunt is on the way. I don't know what can be done ... just don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 08:04 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
If the police / CPS does not put her into fostercare tonight, tell her go to school, go into the office, and just sit there all day and not leave at end of the day. Schools are all mandatory reporters. When she won't leave school @ the end of the day they will have not choice but to call CPS. Also the school social worker will get involved.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:35 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post

New development: she's been thrown out of her home again, violently. She just called me in tears walking on foot to the police station again (in a city two hours away from here). Her mother took the money she was given by her aunt last night. Damn, I hate this. We knew this would happen. Her aunt is on the way. I don't know what can be done ... just don't know.
That poor kid. Unless I had a reason to worry about my family's safety, major theft, or something like that I could not turn a child out. You have your reasons, and I know you will examine your conscience. Thank you for trying to help this girl.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:39 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Quote:

CPS can NOT just send the child over to stay with you unless you are an approved fosterhome. You had said you can not host the child.

CPS would either send her to a Emergency Fosterhome, Or a group home. within 72 hours they would have to present the case to a judge to get a emergency placement. If the Judge OK that (just about all of them are unless the mom show up to make a case why CPS is wrong).

CPS would then attempt to move her to a more permanent fosterhome. While it works on a plan for what in the best intrest of the child.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:45 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Because they are overworked, understaffed, underfunded and have to triage abuse cases. Sad but true.
Don't get me started on CPS...as a mandatory "reporter" of suspected abuse, I reported several incidents of suspected child abuse and neglect. I was grilled on the phone about why I was reporting this abuse, and was treated like I was wasting their valuable time if I did not have a child with a broken arm, proclaiming his Momma did it.

I guess black eyes, and severe underweight is not enough. The kids know the drill, two nights at "Christmas Box" house, and back home. They don't even want help any more.

Hope you can help this girl out.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:49 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Spent most of last night at a police station helping a 14 y/o girl file a police report against her abusive, drug-dealing, psychotic mother who periodically throws her out of the house. The woman has four children by three different fathers. CPS was alerted, but won't reassign guardianship at this point. The only two family members remotely capable of helping her are an ailing grandmother who lives alone and an aunt who has too many problems of her own.

The girl's mother told her grandmother to take her in for the night and then "turn her out". The girl is terrified of going home. Here's a case where I think this girl just needs to be rescued by someone, but I don't know what the legal ramifications might be. Anyone have any experience with a similar situation?
Firstly you are not a professional and do not know if the mother is actually psychotic or not...secondly - There is hate bias and prejudice in the fact that you mention "four children by three different fathers"...what does that have to do with anything...There are many "respectable" woman who divorce and have a second child with the second spouse. Lastly CPS was alerted? By who? YOU? Seems like you know a lot of private stuff about this family......this "aunt" who is capable but has to many problems of her own..would mean she is not capable...it's a contradiction. I suggest you mind your own business. Unless of course you are a relative...If you care so much approach the family and ask if you can take her in...if you are not willing to do that- then butt out.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:33 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
What about Covenant House? Sounds like this situation is right up their alley. Covenant House

Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 PM

655 posts, read 1,127,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Firstly you are not a professional and do not know if the mother is actually psychotic or not...secondly - There is hate bias and prejudice in the fact that you mention "four children by three different fathers"...what does that have to do with anything...There are many "respectable" woman who divorce and have a second child with the second spouse. Lastly CPS was alerted? By who? YOU? Seems like you know a lot of private stuff about this family......this "aunt" who is capable but has to many problems of her own..would mean she is not capable...it's a contradiction. I suggest you mind your own business. Unless of course you are a relative...If you care so much approach the family and ask if you can take her in...if you are not willing to do that- then butt out.

That seems pretty harsh. Obviously this person is trying to do the right thing to best of their ability. They could be the only chance the girl has of getting help with this situation. It is better than turning her back.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:28 PM

I truly appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. Thank you. I did offer our home if needed, and found a couple other possibilities for her, but have not received an update since last night and don't know where the poor girl is today.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:11 AM

The girl is with her reluctant grandmother, waiting for CPS intervention.

Her mother is scheduled for an abortion today - her second. Such devastation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting