Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:56 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

We cannot be reminded enough about how little kids cannot be unsupervised even for a few seconds.

Baby girl nearly drowns after falling head first into toilet - U.S. News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 08:27 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
It is scary alright, and I agree, with little ones you have to be CONTINUALLY on the watch, because, sadly, it does take only seconds for a little one to run into trouble and need an adults intervention, sometimes to literally keep them alive.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:55 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
Ever since my daughter has been able to move around, I've limited my bathroom breaks to the minimum, because I want to be able to watch what she is doing. Still, one needs to do things, so my watch is not 100%.
As far as toilets are concerned, there are good items we can use to keep them "locked" (and can even be a little hard for adults to open!).

Old 11-28-2012, 11:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I know playpens are out of vogue but I think one is essential for little toddlers. I always made it a special fun time with a toy or book so I could make an important call, use the bathroom, take a shower, run to the mailbox . But I can see how a 2 year old would think it fun to take a 1 year old in the bathroom, lock the door and then panic. Thank god this mother was close by, had the strength to knock down thee door and the training to help her child. What a nightmare for all of them. Hopefully the baby will have a complete recovery.

Do you think it would be a good idea to disable locks on bathrooms when you have little kids like this?

Old 11-28-2012, 11:59 AM

17,378 posts, read 16,518,282 times
We used to keep those childproof door knob thingies on the bathroom doors. And we used to keep those doors shut.

That always managed to keep our kids out of the bathrooms unless we wanted them in there - to take a bath or for some other reason (like when they were 3 and potty training).

Old 11-28-2012, 12:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
It is scary alright, and I agree, with little ones you have to be CONTINUALLY on the watch, because, sadly, it does take only seconds for a little one to run into trouble and need an adults intervention, sometimes to literally keep them alive.
Unfortunatly the CONTINUALLY watching someone thing isn't something anyone can actually pull off so I hate seeing it trotted out anytime an accident occurs. We babyproof, use baby gates, playpens, etc. because we can't be looking at our kids every waking moment. I feel so bad for those who suffer the consequences of that.

Note that I'm not talking about lazy parents who ignore their kids or put them in harms way out of stupity, just normal ones who are unlucky enough to have something go horribly wrong when the majory of the time nothing goes wrong at all. Anyone who's raised kids have had those moments of panic only to have it turn out fine.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:14 PM

17,378 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Unfortunatly the CONTINUALLY watching someone thing isn't something anyone can actually pull off so I hate seeing it trotted out anytime an accident occurs. We babyproof, use baby gates, playpens, etc. because we can't be looking at our kids every waking moment. I feel so bad for those who suffer the consequences of that.

Note that I'm not talking about lazy parents who ignore their kids or put them in harms way out of stupity, just normal ones who are unlucky enough to have something go horribly wrong when the majory of the time nothing goes wrong at all. Anyone who's raised kids have had those moments of panic only to have it turn out fine.
You can have an eye on them while you're cooking dinner and the next thing you know...they've toddled off somewhere or they're trying to climb the entertainment cabinet. They are so darned quick.

All you can do is baby proof the best you can - bolt heavy furniture to the wall, use babyproof door knob covers, boil water on the back burner never on the front burner, keep medicine/cleaning supplies in a locked cabinet and/or up and out of reach, use outlet covers.....

Thank goodness the little one is going to be o.k. They are very, very lucky.

Last edited by springfieldva; 11-28-2012 at 03:36 PM..

Old 11-28-2012, 04:21 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
I can remember having my two year old niece at the beach and we were only in knee deep water . I looked up and then i looked down and here she was sticking her face in the water and then she starts crying and I think how quickly she could have gotten in trouble so yes I agree things can go bad really quick .

Old 11-28-2012, 07:51 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,290 times
Default Dr. Spock

We were older parents and through a lot of medical wizardry we have a beautiful daughter.

For another reason which is off topic, I found Dr. Spock's book on parenting and baby care to be inadequate. So fortunately there was a big university nursing library in my town and I put together my own baby care book.

One thing was apparent from the onset, if a baby survives to be one year old, the only thing she or he has to worry about until puberty is accidents. Accidents kill kids. Anything you can do to foresee them and to fool proof your home is a good thing. Anything that can happen will happen. If you believe experience is the best teacher, just stick your hand in a fire.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:02 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
I really love the Mom's reaction. So many would have been wringing their hands and calling for help. The specifically mentioned this risk in the CPR class I took when our son was born. Their heads are big (my son's was enormous!) and there is no way they can get themselves out. I have heard or read several times that people think toilet locks are lazy parenting. I guess I'm lazy. I would rather lock the toilet than kick down the door and try to bring him back to life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting