Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 09:09 PM

251 posts, read 934,019 times

Advertisements

We wanted Santa to bring some type of wheeled toy for our 4 (almost 5) year old boy and 2 1/2 year old girl for Christmas.

Our son has a bike with training wheels. He definitely isn't ready to take them off. He's big for his age but clumsy. We're thinking about a Razor but I don't know if he's ready for one yet. Are they hard to use? I feel like he might be too old for a balance bike?

Our daughter has a ride-on that she loved but it broke. She always tries to keep up with the older kids. She got a Cozy Coupe but only likes it inside, probably because it's slow. We're also contemplating a scooter for her. I've read that the younger kid scooters with two wheels in back are slow and the kids hit the back wheels a lot.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 07:08 AM

5,210 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Our daughters have had these since 2 1/2: they are now 4 and still use these. No problems and they love them!

Image Detail for - ... Kids Scooter (2016k) - China Three Wheels Scooter, Children Scooter

Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
If your son already has a bike with pedals, he won't want a balance bike. Does his bicycle fit him? If not, a bigger bike with training wheels is the solution. He'll let you know when it's time for the training wheels to come off. To tell if his bike fits him, when he pushes the pedal all the way down on one side, is that leg fully extended? If not, raise the seat. If the seat can't be raised any more, time for a bigger bike.

Half the kids I see riding in my neighborhood are on bikes that don't fit them properly, usually because they grow fast and the parents want to get a few years of use out of each bike. But riding a bike that doesn't fit you makes your body fight against the bike.

About the scooter, my youngest used the 3-wheel scooters and she was able to keep up with my older daughter on the Razor scooter (which we got rid of after the second fall that we had to get xrays for). You don't want the little ones being able to go super-fast, which might be why there are reviews about the 3 wheel scooters being slow. The scooters that worked best for my daughter were the ones with the wider area to put your feet. The first one she had, we had to use a hacksaw and trim the pole that supported the handlebars, so that the handlebars weren't right in front of her face. She also got her first bike about the same time, when she was two. She's a fan of things that take less effort, so she preferred the bike over the scooter.

If you like to ride as a family, a trail-a-bike would be great for your 5 year old.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:23 AM

Oh, and if you don't have helmets for the kids already, Santa should bring those too.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:22 AM

251 posts, read 934,019 times
Yes we definitely have helmets! I even make my daughter wear one when she's standing around other riders, in case she gets mowed over.

I think my son's bike is fine but I will double check. We just raised the seat to full height.
Thanks for the warning on the Razor. I agree they seem dangerous. We looked at a big wheel for my 4 year old, but think he would get jealous of sister having a scooter. So maybe we could do big wheel + balance bike, or scooters for both. Are there any "safer" big kid scooters than razors? I dont like how they swivel and smack your ankles when you pick them up to carry them.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:09 PM

I'm not sure the Razor scooters are that dangerous, my oldest is just a big, clumsy kid. We've also been to the ER after she got her shoelace caught in the bike chain and fell that way, and she broke her arm at school sitting on a railing and falling off. I don't let her get on trampolines either, or in bounce houses after she managed to tip over a bounce house full of kids (we know she was the one who tipped it over because she ended up in the netting on the ground, and everyone else was still on the inflated part).

If your son's bike is a good fit for him, he probably doesn't need the big wheel. What about a trike for your younger one? Or just get her the scooter, and if your son seems jealous, tell him scooters are for little kids and bikes are for big boys

Old 12-01-2012, 02:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
My kids loved the big wheels even when they had regular bikes. My ds loved to race his.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:15 AM

1 posts, read 369 times
The bike is definitely a pain in the neck. I have once decided with my husband to make a present for our cutie when he was 2.5, so we spent 3 hours on googling and then reading reviews, lol. Here ([url]https://cutelittledarling.com/best-bike-for-2-year-olds/[/url]) for example, we saw many of them, but couldn't decide. Eventually, we bought a nice Schwinn.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:43 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Razors are the preferred mode of transportation for school kids in my neighborhood. Little siblings all seem to have some form of little kid scooter. We have scooter gangs . The school hallway is clogged with scooters.

My kids tell me they don't like the scooters with the bigger wheels because they're too slow. Perhaps this is a better scooter for your son?

We also have one of these
https://www.amazon.com/AODI-Scooter-...3&sr=8-19&th=1

The kids' friends love it when they come over but it's not great for transportation. More of a toy.

Everyone who comes over also loves this
https://www.amazon.com/Razor-RipRide...s%2C153&sr=8-4

Again, a fun toy but not a mode of transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting