Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:13 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,235 times

Advertisements

I really didnt expect this to happen so soon. My 1 year old is starting to act a bit bratty. She'll be doing something she KNOWS she;s not supposed to and when I tell her to stop she gives me this look like you wouldnt believe. I mean the whole 9 yards poking her bottom lip out and chin down staring at me with eyes that look mad and sad at the same time. Ive gotten into the habit of just saying stop giving me that look and then ignore her but shes starting to have tantrums! I mean all out on the floor crying and all. SHES 1 !! Negative behavior does not get rewarded in my house so she gets put in the playpen in her room and left alone until she can act like a normal little girl. She usually ends up crying herself to sleep.

I need help what can I do to get her out of this stage? Am I wrong in thinking this is coming way too early? Am I reacting properly? Are there better ways to go about her "punishment"

I cant wait to see the teen years.

ETA : This is a rare occasion I would say twice a month. Usually when she comes back from Grannys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 01:32 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
No sounds fine. If she is crying her self to sleep sounds like she is tired and doesn't know it.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:40 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
She is one. She does not really KNOW she is not supposed to in any really meaningful way. One is the perfect age for redirect, distract, ignore and when needed remove. You don't "tell" a one year old much since they don't "get" it. In addition, you run the risk of her identifying herself as belonging in the family dynamic when she is in power struggle with you. I woudl recommend this book

Touchpoints-Birth to Three: T. Berry Brazelton, Joshua D. Sparrow: 9780738210490: Amazon.com: Books

for understanding ages and stages. This one might be useful too for some tools in the positive discipline toolbox.

Positive Discipline: The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler--Laying the Foundation for Raising a Capable, Confident Child (Positive Discipline Library): Jane Nelsen Ed.D., Cheryl Erwin, Roslyn Ann Duffy: 9780307341594: Amazon.com: Books

Old 11-26-2012, 01:52 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,320 times
Babies are smart and she has you trained to do her will
and she will suffer in the long run, including yourself as she grows up undisciplined.

Next it will be sassing and back talking and hitting you.

Just like so many other children in their teens, and in jail today.

We were spanked the first time we tried it,
and it cured our action and reaction problems ! ! !

Old 11-26-2012, 02:08 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Babies are smart and she has you trained to do her will
and she will suffer in the long run, including yourself as she grows up undisciplined.

Next it will be sassing and back talking and hitting you.

Just like so many other children in their teens, and in jail today.

We were spanked the first time we tried it,
and it cured our action and reaction problems ! ! !
I'm pretty sure most people, even those who advocate spanking, would not spank a one year old unless they were preventing a very dangerous behavior (like touching a hot oven).

Old 11-26-2012, 02:23 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times
I agree with the recommendations somebodynew gave. From here on out, it is probably going to feel like there is always some new parenting challenge. It's normal and the more independence they strive for, the more bumps in the road there are for the parents. These bumps are also opportunities to teach your daughter. My best advice is to figure out a general discipline strategy now, be consistent and calm and firm, take the problem behaviors as they come, and be open to evaluating and re-evaluating your discipline strategies as you go. If it makes you feel any better, my daughter is around the same age and she has already started tantrumming. Redirection, distraction, reinforcing positive behavior and ignoring tantrums, and modeling age-appropriate behavior works at this age. They eventually learn to tolerate hearing no.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I'm pretty sure most people, even those who advocate spanking, would not spank a one year old unless they were preventing a very dangerous behavior (like touching a hot oven).
Nonsense. One year old children can and should be spanked for behaving this way. Consistently, and just enough to get their attention.

It works like this. Child starts throwing a tantrum. Parent says sternly (not shouting) "stop the tantrum and go sit on the sofa". Child disobeys. Parent administers spanking and sets child on sofa. Lather, rinse, repeat as needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de_P2aUZJyA

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 11-26-2012 at 04:00 PM..

Old 11-26-2012, 02:41 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Nonsense. You can and should spank a one year old behaving this way. Consistently, and just enough to get their attention.

It works like this. Child starts throwing a tantrum. Parent says sternly (not shouting) "stop the tantrum and go sit on the sofa". Child disobeys. Parent administers spanking and sets child on sofa. Lather, rinse, repeat as needed.
And then the parent throws the child a bone. This makes me so sad.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
And then the parent throws the child a bone. This makes me so sad.
What makes me sad is children who are perpetually miserable because their parents are weenies.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:56 PM

Let me add that sofa/playpen time should be fairly short. Letting her cry herself to sleep alone is way overkill. She's not going to connect her misery in the playpen with something she did an hour ago. After her brief incarceration, let her out to play again and give her a little talk about tantrums.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 11-26-2012 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting