Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 08:00 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I buy my kids clothes, underwear, and socks because that's my job as a parent, not because owning clothes without holes in them is a reward for being good.
^^^This. I wouldn't want socks or underwear as a gift either!

Old 12-18-2012, 06:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
whatever happened to getting kids socks , clothes and underwear for christmas instead of the newest high tech game and oddles of toys for christmas ? no wonder kids have an entitlement attitude these days .
LOL with four kids born in six years, when they were school age, Christmas was a time to stock up on some essentials. My kids (who are now 30, 28, 26, and 24) were ALWAYS genuinely appreciative of new socks, underwear, etc that they got at Christmas. We weren't affluent, and they realized how lucky they were to be wearing something new, even if they were the only ones who knew it!

I also stocked them up with new toothbrushes, deodorant, body lotion, hair products, etc in their stockings, rather than just candy and foolishness or luxury items, though I also always put in SOME candy and one "fun" gift.

In a large family, you don't take stuff like that for granted.

Also, they'd usually get ONE big gift to share (like a game system or a basketball goal or something like that) and then a few smaller, personal gifts.

My husband is not the father of my four kids. He has one child, who is now 19. He is used to spending as much on that ONE child, as I would spend on all four of mine put together. I guess that's understandable, but certainly a difference between our two families. But since we married, my daughters have also married and have begun having children, who he loves and considers as his own grandchildren. Suddenly he is faced with buying for SEVEN kids he loves, rather than just one. It's been a real eye opener for him.

A few days ago, one branch of our family came over for an early Christmas since they are going out of town for Christmas. They have four kids. My husband wanted to put a little money in a card for each kid, so he put $10 in four cards. The kids were thrilled and jumped up and ran to hug him. Afterwards, he said, "Was that enough money? I feel like I should have given them each $20." (We had also already bought them each a couple of gifts.) I told him, "No, that's FINE. They are a large family. Kids from large families generally have different expectations than those from small families. They were thrilled!" It's just that he cannot imagine just giving his one son $10. But multiplied - he suddenly could see how it adds up!

Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
^^^This. I wouldn't want socks or underwear as a gift either!
It's all in what expectations you're raised with, I guess. My grandmother ALWAYS gave us kids socks, underwear, and pajamas for Christmas, and we always looked forward to it.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:23 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Yes, families definitely differ.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 AM

318 posts, read 506,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It is called priorities. Paying for a sitter so I won't bother you poor childless people at Target is not my priority.
Im not sure i understand why i or anyone else would need to have a child to understand that one should learn how to behave in a store?

And you should be embarrassed at your above qoute, you should want to teach your child how to behave in a store, not for us "poor childless people", but for yourself! If you cant get your child to behave with you in the store, how do you think they act in school? or even worse, how will they act when they get older? Nip that in the butt right now, I dont need to have a child to tell you that, i had a mother and family member who taught me that lol

Old 12-18-2012, 03:39 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's all in what expectations you're raised with, I guess. My grandmother ALWAYS gave us kids socks, underwear, and pajamas for Christmas, and we always looked forward to it.
That's true. I was raised with the expectation that it's the parent's responsibility to buy their child items they need, like socks and underwear. Kids should be able to have clean, undamaged clothes whether it's Christmas or not, and I don't really expect my kids to be overly thankful I buy them necessity items...

Old 12-18-2012, 04:32 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSyddy View Post
Im not sure i understand why i or anyone else would need to have a child to understand that one should learn how to behave in a store?

And you should be embarrassed at your above qoute, you should want to teach your child how to behave in a store, not for us "poor childless people", but for yourself! If you cant get your child to behave with you in the store, how do you think they act in school? or even worse, how will they act when they get older? Nip that in the butt right now, I dont need to have a child to tell you that, i had a mother and family member who taught me that lol
Really? That's what you got from her post. That's not what she's saying at all! She's saying that if her kids misbehave while she is out shopping, she's going to get on to them, whether childless people are offended or not! She's NOT going to hire a sitter, just so no one gets offended if her child acts up and she has to discipline them!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:37 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL with four kids born in six years, when they were school age, Christmas was a time to stock up on some essentials. My kids (who are now 30, 28, 26, and 24) were ALWAYS genuinely appreciative of new socks, underwear, etc that they got at Christmas. We weren't affluent, and they realized how lucky they were to be wearing something new, even if they were the only ones who knew it!

I also stocked them up with new toothbrushes, deodorant, body lotion, hair products, etc in their stockings, rather than just candy and foolishness or luxury items, though I also always put in SOME candy and one "fun" gift.

In a large family, you don't take stuff like that for granted.

Also, they'd usually get ONE big gift to share (like a game system or a basketball goal or something like that) and then a few smaller, personal gifts.

My husband is not the father of my four kids. He has one child, who is now 19. He is used to spending as much on that ONE child, as I would spend on all four of mine put together. I guess that's understandable, but certainly a difference between our two families. But since we married, my daughters have also married and have begun having children, who he loves and considers as his own grandchildren. Suddenly he is faced with buying for SEVEN kids he loves, rather than just one. It's been a real eye opener for him.

A few days ago, one branch of our family came over for an early Christmas since they are going out of town for Christmas. They have four kids. My husband wanted to put a little money in a card for each kid, so he put $10 in four cards. The kids were thrilled and jumped up and ran to hug him. Afterwards, he said, "Was that enough money? I feel like I should have given them each $20." (We had also already bought them each a couple of gifts.) I told him, "No, that's FINE. They are a large family. Kids from large families generally have different expectations than those from small families. They were thrilled!" It's just that he cannot imagine just giving his one son $10. But multiplied - he suddenly could see how it adds up!
I'm with you Kathryn. My kids all got clothing at the start of the school seasin, but having FOUR of them, and two of those FOUR had birthdays in the first week of September, new underwear and socks have always been something they get new for Christmas. In fact, they always look forward to NEW winter socks and some extra undies. Heck, even the grown children look forward to that. At the price of new boxer briefs/underwear and GOOD socks, that's a real treat! My kids have always received a couple of "frivolous" wants for Christmas, but they generally get things they need. I will not raise entitled people.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:49 PM

318 posts, read 506,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Really? That's what you got from her post. That's not what she's saying at all! She's saying that if her kids misbehave while she is out shopping, she's going to get on to them, whether childless people are offended or not! She's NOT going to hire a sitter, just so no one gets offended if her child acts up and she has to discipline them!

ooh okay, yea i didnt pick up on that lol but makes sense now!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
I guess I'm raising an entitled brat, because we get her fun things that have no practical purpose for Christmas. She's getting a bunch of frivolous crap and I'm proud of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting