Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 12:07 PM

571 posts, read 1,301,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivana Trump View Post
u never snooped as a kid or teen COME ON let it go its not like they unwrapped it and started using the gift. get over it and chillax
No, I didn't, and whether or not we do something as kids does not make certain behaviors acceptable. I am simply asking the CD community for advice.

No need for the snarky comments.

Last edited by Eeyore1; 12-15-2012 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 12:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,700,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The whole locking out of the house thing seems more weirdo and sinister to me.

How do you know it was about the gifts and not something else?

No need to make it more than it was. Locking the door was just an "early warning system". The "umm just a minute" was because they got busted and were trying to get out quick.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:32 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,700,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
That didn't stop me! I carefully unwrapped, play with it, carefully rewrapped and acted surprised! I really was a naughty girl at Christmas Time. I'm a good girl now.....
Shoot I'm 43 and still snoop. Becaue I am the techno-geek of the entire family I know everyone's passwords for everything. I saw what you ordered for me!

Old 12-15-2012, 01:05 PM

88,300 posts, read 84,311,090 times
My daughter, now 21, told me this past year that when she was around 13 and really wanted this particular outfit from a particular store, she was so excited to find out if I'd gotten it for her she unwrapped the present, verified that I'd bought the right thing, and then rewrapped it. LOL.

My brothers and sisters and I snooped when we were kids. My parents had the presents all wrapped in a huge pile in their bedroom. When they went out, they locked the bedroom door...and we knew how to open the lock using a bobby pin. I remember the year I was looking at the presents and saw that some of them had tags on them that said, "From Santa"...

Old 12-15-2012, 05:07 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,060,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
I agree, stan4. I should clarify. What bothers me is that he deliberately locked us out of the house. We were running a quick errand, and did not take our keys. He knew we were coming right back. When we were gone, he had locked the door, and we were standing out in the freezing (or close to it) cold. He heard us banging on the door, and he said "Umm, just a minute." And continued to not come to the door. I don't think he meant anything cruel by it, but I think he needs to be spoken to about it. His father disagrees. I am the stepmother, BTW. Not looking to get into an evil stepmother thread, just trying to figure out if I should speak up or not.
Yes, he needs to be spoken to regarding locking his parents out their own house, esp in freezing cold weather. That is much worse than any snooping that may or may not have happened.

What if the next time he locks you out it because he is trying drugs or sex?

Old 12-15-2012, 06:00 PM

88,300 posts, read 84,311,090 times
I lived at my parents house for a while with my daughter after my divorce. My brother had a 1966 Chevy Impala in their garage for years that had newspaper taped all over the windows because he was going to paint it. For a couple of years, I hid the Christmas presents in that car. My daughter and my niece could never find their presents because the garage with all my brother's landscaping crap and the old car in it was not a place they were the least bit interested in entering.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:24 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,251,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
My Son went thru that phase. But mostly I ship stuff to my office, and when I got him a 'big' gift, I left it @ work in our package room. On Christmas Eve after he was asleep I came to work, got it, and brought it home and under the tree.

He was totally surprised. At that point I know he had 'found' the few other things, Mostly clothing. So he was searching big time, since he sort knew there is alway a 'big' gift.
And he could not find it.

(16 now) And he been hinting.. .where is his Gift hidden.. (I have not gotten it (and not sure what I'm getting him yet) yet.

Also @13 maybe he was doing something else that he did not want to be interrupted at, thats why he locked the doors.

That reminds me of a story my mother told me about how she had to explain to her friend on the fact that why all of her lotion kept vanishing was not because her son now desired good skin.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:25 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,251,318 times
I always used to shake gifts to figure out if that's the same? My little sister is a professional snoop, to the point that we send her gifts to a friends house.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:32 AM

571 posts, read 1,301,213 times
I am so grateful for your comments. Having some to "talk to" about day-to-day issues is comforting.

Turns out, child has been on a streak of "13 YO boy behavior" lately. His mom expressed it to us before we said anything to her. Stepson has always been on the rude and self-centered side. I was done with it after 5 minutes, and have spent many years trying to bite me tongue. Trying to "learn my place," I guess

His mom has been quite the softy about the behavior, but I think she is now at the end of her rope. We are fortunate to all be friends, talk on a daily basis, and work together as a family. Hope 13 years of age is not too late. Dear SS is very bright and does respond when there are consequences. We'll see how it goes.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,439,512 times
I have 4 children. My 3 oldest kids are sons and they know they are not to look at what is in my shopping bags when I Christmas shop. They themselves do not want the surprise ruined by knowing everything they get, so I have never had a problem there. My youngest child is a girl, age 10. She would not purposely go looking for the gifts, but if they were there in front of her she would look in the bags. I have figured out a good way to handle this. I rent 2 storage units and put the presents in there. I pick a day close to Christmas, make sure all the kids are out of the house, and then I wrap them. Once wrapped the kids don't bother them, but I still keep them upstairs in the locked study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting