Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 08:31 PM

605 posts, read 2,146,615 times

Advertisements

I was planning to buy an Xmas gift for a family member's toddler. I always give her nice birthday and Xmas gifts. I asked her parents what she is interested in, as she is getting a little older and has specific things she likes. The parents responded informing me that she doesn't need anymore toys and that I can make a donation on her behalf to their requested charity. They also requested I let them know what my daughter wants for Xmas.

I'm not sure how to respond. I'm happy to donate (we have a charity that we donate to every year) but I guess I am having trouble swapping out a gift for a charity donation. She's young and won't understand but still. Also, how should I respond about my kid? Mine doesn't need anymore toys either but feel like if they want to give her a gift, then they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 08:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I can understand both sides. Some people truly do try to limit the amount of toys their kids are given and of course the quality or kind of toys their children are given. Once when my daughter had a birthday party she requested food or donations to an animal rescue in our community. I was surprised to learn later some were offended. I couldn't believe it.

If I were you I would do exactly as you please. If you were planning on giving a gift and the parents have specifically told you No Gifts, just a charity donation, then do that. And do not feel you have to come back with the same answer for your child. Tell them what your child enjoys and let them make up their own minds.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:40 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I can understand both sides. Some people truly do try to limit the amount of toys their kids are given and of course the quality or kind of toys their children are given. Once when my daughter had a birthday party she requested food or donations to an animal rescue in our community. I was surprised to learn later some were offended. I couldn't believe it.

If I were you I would do exactly as you please. If you were planning on giving a gift and the parents have specifically told you No Gifts, just a charity donation, then do that. And do not feel you have to come back with the same answer for your child. Tell them what your child enjoys and let them make up their own minds.
Agreed.

I think personally if I was still inclined to get the child a gift: I'd start looking into something that isn't "materialistic", but something that can be enjoyed for the experience. Like tickets to the zoo, science center, children's museum, child's favorite character concert (or some kind of play) et. c in addition to the donation to the charity.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:33 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
We had young friends with a large family who were trying hard to raise their children in a family centered Christian way. They really wanted few presents because the house was filled with some of the toys, they wanted their children to see the religious part of Christmas instead of the materialistic, and they just wanted a more simple life.

Their parents just could not understand and ignored any suggestion to provide less. It caused heartache and issues within the family on both sides.

I applaud these parents for putting their foot down. If you dont want to donate, then dont but please do not get them something just because. A nice card is fine.

If a child wants donations to a food pantry or a cause for their birthday or such, please listen to the child and be generous to their wish. They are learning a lesson and doing good things. They probably get "things" that they like all year long.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:02 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
I know it's awkward. And it feels wrong to me to not get them something! But I've read many discussions like this and the parents really DO mean that they don't want gifts. But there is nothing wrong with you feeling differently and I don't think the other parents judge you at all for allowing them to get your child a gift.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:07 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
I was planning to buy an Xmas gift for a family member's toddler. I always give her nice birthday and Xmas gifts. I asked her parents what she is interested in, as she is getting a little older and has specific things she likes. The parents responded informing me that she doesn't need anymore toys and that I can make a donation on her behalf to their requested charity. They also requested I let them know what my daughter wants for Xmas.

I'm not sure how to respond. I'm happy to donate (we have a charity that we donate to every year) but I guess I am having trouble swapping out a gift for a charity donation. She's young and won't understand but still. Also, how should I respond about my kid? Mine doesn't need anymore toys either but feel like if they want to give her a gift, then they can.
How about a gift to charity, but also give the child a new book? Unless the parents are completely unfit to raise children, they could not possibly deny their child a book, and it would be something for the toddler to receive and open as a present.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:15 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Agreed.

I think personally if I was still inclined to get the child a gift: I'd start looking into something that isn't "materialistic", but something that can be enjoyed for the experience. Like tickets to the zoo, science center, children's museum, child's favorite character concert (or some kind of play) et. c in addition to the donation to the charity.
The parents said donation, no gifts. You can't/shouldn't go against what the parents want. Your "inclinations" do not take precedence over the parents. What is so difficult to understand....I'm a bit shocked at so many people telling you to disregard what the parents have told you??

Old 12-16-2012, 08:55 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Did the parents suggest or tell you to donate? I hate being told to donate. I'll do that on my own. It's rude to dictate what to give as a gift. If they suggested, go ahead and get the gift. Otherwise, I wouldn't donate, I'll just give the kid a card.

And as for your kid... go ahead and make an honest suggestion for something you think your kid will enjoy.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:37 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I like the ideas of a book or tickets. The local children's museum here is awesome but kind of expensive--I would love for the kids to get passes.

Christmas is about the joy of giving. It's admirable that your friends are trying to cut down on stuff, but it's not up to them whether you choose to donate or even stick the money back in your own pocket.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:19 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Magic78...I would still buy the child a gift, no way she's going to "appreciate" a donation in her name, that's just mean of her parents...if they feel she has too many toys now, they could donate some of them could they not? I just feel it's in poor taste to tell people (who really don't have to give anything at all) what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting