Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 10:37 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
No, there isn't. But when I think of "toys" I still think of Lego and Barbie and the like, not iPads and laptops, etc.

Call me old-fashioned.
You're old-fashioned.

While I agree that cell phones are an (albeit useful) evil unleashed upon this earth and have handicapped a generation's ability to actually create meaningful interpersonal bonds, I think that ALL OF US have had new technology in our toys and computers/tablets are just the next step.

I grew up in the 1980s, and while I had GI Joe and Matchbox cars and Legos, I also had a little mini computer that would play hangman with me and let me compose music and draw, etc. My brother and I played Atari together and then Nintendo...

I think there's a danger in leaving a child in a room by himself with only technology to interact with, but there's also a danger in his not being current on today's tech when he has to compete in school and the job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 10:41 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
I'm not assuming that they are mutually exclusive. Of course the best prepared kids will do both.
But, my oldest started school in 1978 and I have one currently in high school.
I know how the curricula have changed over the years and where the emphasis lies. Where kids used to be encouraged by their teachers to go to museums or concerts and the like, now they just get pointed to websites.
Does anyone really believe that the purpose of teaching is to simply point kids towards websites?
Well now we get to the fundamental paradigm shift in our society.

Teachers are no longer the source of knowledge and the end goal of education isn't just to possess knowledge. The goal is to be able to quickly, effectively and correctly, get to the knowledge that is already out there.

As a science teacher (and we have never been sending kids to concerts and we still go to museums) the ability to research well (which the vast majority of people lack) is more important than rote memorization of textbook that will be out of date by the time it is printed.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:52 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Hell, even Einstein said something akin to that - not bothering to learn something he can look up in less than 2 minutes.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:53 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Well now we get to the fundamental paradigm shift in our society.

Teachers are no longer the source of knowledge and the end goal of education isn't just to possess knowledge. The goal is to be able to quickly, effectively and correctly, get to the knowledge that is already out there.

As a science teacher (and we have never been sending kids to concerts and we still go to museums) the ability to research well (which the vast majority of people lack) is more important than rote memorization of textbook that will be out of date by the time it is printed.
This. Our society has changed.

I'm a big believer in keeping up. The old ways have their place. But so do iPhones, iPads, iPods. They're all tools. Had we had the technology that's in a $10 calculator in the 60's we'd have been on Mars by now. I can't imagine a rocket scientist from the American space program saying, "No thanks. No computers needed. I've got my slide rule." if someone had handed him a Mac and said, "Here you go!"

Old 12-27-2012, 10:53 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Default If you're calling them "gadgets," you might as well call them "doohickeys"

Quote:
Does anyone really believe that the purpose of teaching is to simply point kids towards websites?
No more false generalizations. If that's all the teachers at your school do, then you need to talk to the principal.

But that's NOT all they do. Economics and 9/11 had more to do with the drop in field trips than technology. After 9/11 our superintendent cancelled all out-of-town class trips, and once that happened it was very easy for them to blame budgets for not scheduling more.

But our teachers are still doing a great job. I will admit that Google searching has, in my opinion, made a lot of deep, focused critical thinking more rare these days. For many kids I've taught, if the answer is not on the first page of search results then it doesn't exist. But at least these kids never knew the pain of having a report due tomorrow and finding the "S" volume of the encyclopedia missing from the shelf!

To say that all teaching now is just lazily directing kids toward websites is a fallacy. Technology in fact challenges the best teachers to keep up because it has leveled the playing field by removing more barriers that used to exist between students and primary sources of information.

Besides, as a parent I see it as MY JOB to take my kids to museums and expose them to art and music. It's also my job to train them to use whatever tools are current in their world, and to not handicap them with false lessons in morality.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:57 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
I'm not assuming that they are mutually exclusive. Of course the best prepared kids will do both.
But, my oldest started school in 1978 and I have one currently in high school.
I know how the curricula have changed over the years and where the emphasis lies. Where kids used to be encouraged by their teachers to go to museums or concerts and the like, now they just get pointed to websites.
Wow... I wouldn't expect such low quality teaching unless I lived in South Carolina, Georgia, New Mexico or one of the other poor education states. But then I wouldn't dare send my kids to education there. If teachers are pointing students towards non-academic websites as a method of research, that's horrible!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
I once had a young lady in my chorus class ask me why there were no black opera singers. My school blocked YouTube so I could not just keep her after class and play some videos for her. So I told her that she should go to YouTube and look up videos of Jessye Norman, Leotyne Price, Kathleen Battle, and Denyce Graves. I wrote the names down on a piece of paper for her. She came back the next day beaming because it turned out that the young lady loved opera and there were opera singers who looked just like her!

Sometimes teachers just need to facilitate an interest. It isn't all a teacher does but it has its place.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:01 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Semi-tangential to the technology question, but I have not the vaguest idea what my kids' friends got for Christmas. We've been too busy spending time with each other to ask for an inventory of other people's stockings.

^^^^^^^^ THIS!!!! Worrying about what my kid's friend' got for Christmas, even asking them what they got after Christmas, is so out of my realm of thinking that it truly boggles mind.

I remember when my children were toddlers - preschool age, and I lived in an obnoxious sub division filled with first time home ownwer's all with kid's the same age, flexing their parental and financial muscles, I avoided the sidewalk conversations that went something like this -

"We just bought Kyle a Power wheels!" What did you get you son? ( NOYB)

"Stephanie and Shawna got American Girl dolls that look exactly like them! Does your daughter have American girl dolls yet? ( no she is TWO)

I avoided that crap then, and I avoid it now.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:14 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
It's about teaching the value of a dollar, actually having to earn things or buy things with their own money, etc.

You're right, I'm wondering why a parent who can afford a 1200 macbook air would spend that kind of money on a 10 year old when the only thing the 10 year old has ever done is woken up each day. Good grades are expected in my family, they were rewarded a little bit, but not to the scale that it seems of today.

I'm going to have to just stop, accept that society is telling me I'm wrong and move on.

Sorry. Christmas or Chanukah, ARE NOT the TIME to tech kids "The value of a dollar"

It's the time to show your love.

Assigned reading "The Gift of the Magi" O Henry, "A Christmas Carol" Charles Dickens

Old 12-27-2012, 05:44 PM

885 posts, read 1,881,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Sorry. Christmas or Chanukah, ARE NOT the TIME to tech kids "The value of a dollar"

It's the time to show your love.

Assigned reading "The Gift of the Magi" O Henry, "A Christmas Carol" Charles Dickens
So we show our love by spending 1000's of dollars on kids under 12 ? Ok...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting