Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 01:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
There is indeed some restrictions here, but not as far as an approved list. However, one cannot put just anything for a child's name. I know a person who wanted to name their child with just a single letter. The hospital staff said 'you can't do that' so he just added some more letters and a couple numbers to gve the name more characters. The 'name' has to be said by saying each letter and number in sequence, it cannot be 'pronounced' as a word. Does the kid like it? I think there are mixed feelings there. The child, now adult, goes by the original name/letter, which happens to actually sound like a name.
This was not a an isolated thing with the hospital staff either. A second child was born at a different hospital and the parent tried again, with a different letter of course and they said there needs to be more. Again, more letters and numbers got added to the paperwork. I am closer to this 'kid' who is also an adult now, and has not had any big issues with this name as far as getting teased. Most are curious about it.
While these first names are 'nonsense' on paper, the name/letter is unique and not all that crazy sounding. People do not snicker at their names like people do with names like 'apple' 'seven' or 'crayola'.
I'm not sure that what the hospital told the parents is actually true. If I had been the parents, and felt strongly about what I wanted to name my kid (as most parents do), I would have challenged the hospital to show me the law. After all, these BC forms are filled out by clerical staff who have little education beyond high school (in general).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 03:26 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Neveah must be the dumbest name ever for a little girl. Yes, it's 'heaven' spelled backwards. Real original.
Actually, it isn't even heaven spelled backwards. It's Haeven spelled backwards. I never quite understood why people did that.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:01 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not sure that what the hospital told the parents is actually true. If I had been the parents, and felt strongly about what I wanted to name my kid (as most parents do), I would have challenged the hospital to show me the law. After all, these BC forms are filled out by clerical staff who have little education beyond high school (in general).
I have given birth three times and each time I was the one who originally filled out the forms. The staff would come back with a typed version for my to proof-read. Then I signed stuff making it 'official'.
I don't know what happened with my friend in the hospital, I do know that he's pretty vocal when he wants to be. So it's possible that he did question the staff. I will have to ask next time I see him.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I have given birth three times and each time I was the one who originally filled out the forms. The staff would come back with a typed version for my to proof-read. Then I signed stuff making it 'official'.
I don't know what happened with my friend in the hospital, I do know that he's pretty vocal when he wants to be. So it's possible that he did question the staff. I will have to ask next time I see him.
When I had my two kids, they gave us a form at Lamaze class to fill out in advance. We gave it to the health worker who typed it up for us to proof.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:01 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
It looks ridiculous to have a misspelled (excuse me, alternate spelling) but I suppose that is the right. But I don't think symbols in the name, such as SaNd*ee! , should be allowed.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
i hate my name.. its a hindrance.. i wish i had changed it when i was 13..but now my name appears on all my documents like diplomas and what past employers know me by..i will never scar my kids with such a stupid made up name

*however i don't think the government should control your name, if the person who has the name likes their own name...also long as your not naming your kids adolf hilter or some kind of genitalia or std lol

Old 01-06-2013, 10:55 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Why would that work? Every state/region has diversity. Should "hispanic" names only be allowed in say, California, AZ, NM, TX and CO where there are large hispanic populations? Or should people, including Anglos, be able to name their kid "Jesus" or "Angel" if they so choose, no matter where they live?
I find that idea beyond odd. If an Asian lived in, say, the South West near an Indian Reservation and was supposed to have a name like "Swift Like Puma" to reflect the region and Swift Like Puma moved to New England.... it would probably raise a few eyebrows.

In this country I'll stick with Mom and Dad doing the traditional American thing of having the glorious freedom to pick whatever the heck name they want for their own, personal reasons without the government (or worse a committee) having a say.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I find that idea beyond odd. If an Asian lived in, say, the South West near an Indian Reservation and was supposed to have a name like "Swift Like Puma" to reflect the region and Swift Like Puma moved to New England.... it would probably raise a few eyebrows.

In this country I'll stick with Mom and Dad doing the traditional American thing of having the glorious freedom to pick whatever the heck name they want for their own, personal reasons without the government (or worse a committee) having a say.
I certainly agree. I hope you did not take my post to mean I was advocating for anything so ridiculous. I was just trying to show the absurdity of it.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:06 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i hate my name.. its a hindrance.. i wish i had changed it when i was 13..but now my name appears on all my documents like diplomas and what past employers know me by..i will never scar my kids with such a stupid made up name

*however i don't think the government should control your name, if the person who has the name likes their own name...also long as your not naming your kids adolf hilter or some kind of genitalia or std lol
The FIRST thing parents should do when naming a child is to ATTEMPT to prognosticate how that name will play out in the child's development and adulthood. If they don't, they are selfish. There are so many good, conventional naming choices out there, that not taking advantage of them is clearly stupid.

You will always have stupid people out there - those who are overly religious, the hippies, etc. I once was in a rural place in California and a hippie woman was calling for her daughter "Sequoia, Sequoia ..." Freak? Yes. Sequoia is both a national park and a large tree.

The only one that gets a pass is Michael Hunt because ... well ... it's a very "normal" name. However, post 1985 or so, that is not acceptable, either.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
I hope you did not take my post to mean I was advocating for anything so ridiculous.
Nope.

I was agreeing with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting