Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:10 AM

147 posts, read 411,887 times

Advertisements

Would it bother you if you are always the one asking for a playdate for your daughter, as in your daughter's friends' mothers does not reciprocate?

There are a few girls that my daughter play well with and they always have a good time together. The mothers are always happy to have the playdate and I like them as well. However, they never asked my daughter for a playdate with their child but they would happily accept any playdate request initiated by me.

I guess it's trivial but as it goes on, it makes me wonder if there's something wrong with me or my daughter. The only 'reason' I could think of is these friends all have siblings, so they play with their siblings. (My daughter is an only child)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 10:19 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immy View Post
Would it bother you if you are always the one asking for a playdate for your daughter, as in your daughter's friends' mothers does not reciprocate?

There are a few girls that my daughter play well with and they always have a good time together. The mothers are always happy to have the playdate and I like them as well. However, they never asked my daughter for a playdate with their child but they would happily accept any playdate request initiated by me.

I guess it's trivial but as it goes on, it makes me wonder if there's something wrong with me or my daughter. The only 'reason' I could think of is these friends all have siblings, so they play with their siblings. (My daughter is an only child)
It could be that its nore that their child's siblings will make it more of a hassle. For example, my DD had her friend over this weekend and her younger siblings would not leave the two of them alone! So half of my day was devoted to ensuring they didnt bother her. It gets very draining.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
There are many reasons people are reluctant to host playdates. The most common we have seen is when one parent works from home and can't work with the additional noise. Home improvement projects. Messy/dirty/unsafe house. Young siblings. Elderly relatives that live with them. And my favorite irksome one that a mom actually told me....she doesn't want her house getting dirty.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 AM

Well, the playdates are always on the weekend (since we and the friend's parents work) and it's alternate our place and their place.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:06 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
You didn't mention how old your daughter is. We really didn't do playdates until my kids were in elementary school (kindergarten), then hosted frequently. I have twins and my kids basically had a live in playmate, and we would frequently go to the park where they would play with others (with no "playdate" strings attached). My kids saw their friends at preschool and dance class, etc. but I didn't feel the need to have playdates at our home, but would accept if others asked. The other families that would ask generally had children without siblings.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:13 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
You didn't mention how old your daughter is. We really didn't do playdates until my kids were in elementary school (kindergarten), then hosted frequently. I have twins and my kids basically had a live in playmate, and we would frequently go to the park where they would play with others (with no "playdate" strings attached). My kids saw their friends at preschool and dance class, etc. but I didn't feel the need to have playdates at our home, but would accept if others asked. The other families that would ask generally had children without siblings.
This on all accounts. Those families with siblings close in age tend not to ask for play dates nearly as much.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:30 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
It could be that you are in a community where "play dates" are just not the usual thing to do. What happens is that YOU visit the other mom, and the kids play together and you BOTH watch out for them.

I can't imagine inviting a child over to play since that would mean that I was responsible to the other child.

The older child should be able to arrange his/her own play time with friends that they choose, not the ones that the mothers arranged for.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:33 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immy View Post

Don't think too too much on this. If they accept the invitation then obviously they are ok with you and your daughter.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
You didn't mention how old your daughter is.
My daughter is in 1st grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
The older child should be able to arrange his/her own play time with friends that they choose, not the ones that the mothers arranged for.
She is still too young to arrange her own playtime.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Don't think too too much on this. If they accept the invitation then obviously they are ok with you and your daughter.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting