Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times

Advertisements

Request a referral to either a speech therapist or dietician, maybe both. They can develop a program for you and your son. I suggest working with a team to help develop a treatment plan for food rehabilitation.

This is the beginning of OCD, and Oppositional Defiant Disorder. It may be your child has an aversion to some tastes and textures, but foods need to be incorporated into his diet sequentially.

You and your son need professional help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 07:13 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I refused to eat a lot of food from a very young age too. My parents tried to ground me and make me stay at the table, things like that.

No offense, but that is the opposite end of stupid. Eating is a very natural function. Every animal that is left the heck alone will eat. There is no need in the world to make a battle out of it. Parent's job: Offer good food. Child's job: Eat it or not. Done.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
So, I'm wondering what the mother is cooking for meals and how a 2 year old gets to Subway. I would never have fed Subway sandwiches to my 2 year olds because of the high calories. Also, it appears that the child must be getting a lot of sugar since he only drinks fruit juice which is also very high in calories when water and especially milk or some other source of calcium are needed for bone/tooth development. We are talking about a 2 year old. I predict small underdeveloped teeth and obesity. The child, if getting all of his liquids from fruit juice, is getting a high calorie intact so would not be that hungry. I would begin by watering down the juice to almost all water and find a source of calcium not to mention cutting the sandwich which I am sure is extremely high in sodium so add high blood pressure. The kid is 2 years old for Heaven's sake! If the kid is in charge now, I can't imagine where this goes from here!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Request a referral to either a speech therapist or dietician, maybe both. They can develop a program for you and your son. I suggest working with a team to help develop a treatment plan for food rehabilitation.

This is the beginning of OCD, and Oppositional Defiant Disorder. It may be your child has an aversion to some tastes and textures, but foods need to be incorporated into his diet sequentially.

I am trying really hard to be respectful here...

The child has a tantrum to get his favorite foods & candy from grandma and its OCD & Oppositional Defiant
Disorder ??? That means pretty much every 2 year old on the planet has this disorder...

The only program he needs is to offer good foods,no more juice, ignore his demands, let hunger take over...

Old 01-14-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Give me a break.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:51 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I was one of those kids that was super picky..My siblings ate fine..I loved the attention it got me ...

I just think that if allowed to not eat a day or so, a child would eat what they are given.
That isn't something many parents would do..

I think its worse to continue an unhealthy diet everyday...
There were many things I didn't like to eat and it brought me no attention. Eat that or nothing, I chose nothing. It didn't make me eat the foods I didn't like. If my son doesn't eat dinner, he just loads up at breakfast the next day. I don't give him cheetos instead and I'm not going to force food down his throat. We do not battle, and he still isn't trying new foods.

Someone also told us that when they get to school and see other kids eating things it makes many of them want to try new foods. I am sure at some point he will grow out of it. There were textures I absolutely hated as a kid and I am not a picky eater at all as an adult. I do not ask people to make accommodations for him but he is unlikely to eat things at other people's houses either. If he doesn't want to eat anything it's fine with me but I'm sure many would still judge away and pat themselves on the back for being a much better parent than I am.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:34 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
I have a 2 year old son who wont really eat and its really stressing me out. it started last june he went from eating normal foods to not eating anything except bread and a tuna sub (only from subway) ive taken him to the doctors and they told me he'll grow out of it. Its now been 7 months and hes still the same i really dont know what to do with him hes not getting enough vitamins and im really starting to worry about him becoming sick.

this is what he eats and drinks:

1. toast, a tuna sub, yogurt

2. he only drinks fruit juice

this cant be ok, has anyone had the same problem with their child? please help!!
You must realize that it is YOU who are catering to a 2 year old, what would you do if there was no subway around?..it's surprising what little people can survive on, and still be healthy. I wouldn't worry (personally) though I'd definitely stop going to subways...Just try and see that the toast you make him is a good quality bread...yogurts good...and if you insist (yes you) on giving him only fruit juice instead of adams ale(water), try and give him juice that's also loaded in vitamins and minerals...It's up to you mom, you are the ruler in the house, not him. Believe me, he won't starve, and he might refuse different food at first, but guaranteed after a couple of days he'll be eating with relish whatever you feed him.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:42 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
There were many things I didn't like to eat and it brought me no attention. Eat that or nothing, I chose nothing. It didn't make me eat the foods I didn't like. If my son doesn't eat dinner, he just loads up at breakfast the next day. I don't give him cheetos instead and I'm not going to force food down his throat. We do not battle, and he still isn't trying new foods.

Someone also told us that when they get to school and see other kids eating things it makes many of them want to try new foods. I am sure at some point he will grow out of it. There were textures I absolutely hated as a kid and I am not a picky eater at all as an adult. I do not ask people to make accommodations for him but he is unlikely to eat things at other people's houses either. If he doesn't want to eat anything it's fine with me but I'm sure many would still judge away and pat themselves on the back for being a much better parent than I am.
You actually sorta hijacked a thread...The original poster has a child that isn't eating enough foods to be healthy and she asked for advice. She was worried about him getting enough vitamins..Somehow you jumped in here and decided everyone was judging you..

If you are happy with what your child is eating , then that is great..
This thread is advice that is geared for the original poster...

Old 01-14-2013, 05:11 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
No offense, but that is the opposite end of stupid. Eating is a very natural function. Every animal that is left the heck alone will eat. There is no need in the world to make a battle out of it. Parent's job: Offer good food. Child's job: Eat it or not. Done.
A parent wants to make sure their child is healthy so it can be hard to leave the kid alone. Some people like me don't get hungry as often as others or have a very small appetite. But it could be hard. How do you know if your kid doesn't have a large appetite or if they're developing an eating disorder? That's what my parents thought when I was a teenager.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
There were many things I didn't like to eat and it brought me no attention. Eat that or nothing, I chose nothing.
And here you are today to tell the tale. I would bet my last dollar you never suffered from obesity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting