Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:55 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Curious View Post
I always get a kick out of watching the kids ages 10-18 stand at the bus stop near our home. It is 25 degrees and windy in the morning in January and they are wearing short pants and a tee shirt. At most they are wearing a sweat shirt and jeans but only if it is just super cold.

I think the schools should contact protective services and report the parents for not parenting. Why would anyone allow their kids to stand around in below freezing weather in short pants and tee shirts in mid January? Parents: What's the story with kids and coats?
Agreed. As teacher I see these things every day at school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Some of us work, and are gone by the time they walk out the door.

Some of us, realize the best way to learn is through making mistakes. If a teenager is cold at the bus stop, the next day they will remember the coat.

Really, its best not to sweat the small stuff. And since we are not seeing widespread examples of hypthermia and frost bite, they are likely fine.
What kind of parenting is that? Work? Nothing comes before my children. If I can't do it in person for any reason, I take care someone else will.
I see the result of this (common) parenting approach on many other levels and am concerned with the future of the next generations in society, at work and in the family.
(BTW, hypothermia is not the only danger of exposure to cold. Other things, like pneumonia are possible).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post

What kind of parenting is that? Work? Nothing comes before my children. If I can't do it in person for any reason, I take care someone else will.
I see the result of this (common) parenting approach on many other levels and am concerned with the future of the next generations in society, at work and in the family.
(BTW, hypothermia is not the only danger of exposure to cold. Other things, like pneumonia are possible).
1. The previous generations had to live in families with two working parents as well. And many single parents - the children come first - well sure, how do you expect these children will be fed, if mommy has to stay home to make sure they are wearing their winter snowsuits, and the only jobs available require that she leave a half hour before the kids go to the bus stop? Yes, the kids come first. And that means if mommy has to work for that half hour, then mommy has to work, and the kids will just have to learn how to dress themselves by the time they enter kindergarten. Fortunately, most of them learn it.

2. Once the kid is dressed, there's nothing preventing them from taking their jacket OFF when they leave the house. When I was a kid, I took it step further: I'd take my jacket off and fling it in the garage, so I wouldn't have to even carry it to the bus stop.

3. Kids being out at the bus stop in 25-degree weather, wearing sweat shirts (and which sick twisted adult "good samaritan observer" is checking UNDER their clothes to see whether or not they're layering?) for 5-10 minutes while waiting for the bus will not result in hypothermia or pneumonia.

4. When we went to Junior High, we had gym uniforms. They were a hideous green one-piece contraption that pulled on and had an elastic waist. It was made to resemble a pair of green cotton shorts and a green and white striped t-shirt. We wore those out three times every week, inside and outside the school during gym class. If there was more than an inch of snow on the lawn, OR if it was raining/snowing, we held gym class inside. Otherwise, it was held outside, and consisted mostly of calisthenics in the winter. No one ever got sick from this.

5. Mollycoddling children results in mollycoddled adults who don't know how to live independently, and spend their miserable lives wondering why the world doesn't cater to their needs like mommy did.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
If I can't do it in person for any reason, I take care someone else will.
Then consider yourself blessed because not every parent has that option available.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:

Fighting with the kids about their clothes is simply not something you want to do. Seriously, unless you are talking extreme cold and more than a few minutes, the child will not be harmed.

Obviously with the younger set, parents are in control, but with kids over 10, not so much. The best way for them to learn is actually by experiencing the cold and deciding on their own they need to put on more clothing.

Are you suggesting that parents should make a teen put on a coat and stand around at the bus stop to make sure s/he doesn't take it off? Honestly!!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I have noticed this, and it is more prevalent with boys than girls.

There are a million reasons a kid won't/can't wear a coat.

My 9-year-old son informed me that his new year's resolution was to wear shorts every day this year. I think it's dumb but not the worst thing he could do. So I let him, and we stood together waiting for the bus this morning in 31 degree weather. I had on a parka.

I choose my battles with my kids. My older boys prefer to layer shirts and hoodies than wear a "puffy" coat.
There are no battles to pick, you are the parent!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:

Pneumonia is actually not from getting cold, penumonia is brought on from bacteria or viruses. It's a myth that cold weather makes people ill.

Believe it or not, there are people who will actually jump into ice cold water and swim -- polar bear clubs and they don't die from even that.

It would be neglect only if the parent failed to provide warm clothes for the child but it's not necessary to bundle up a child who is old enough to dress himself. Any child over age 6 should be able to dress himself and put on a jacket. If a 12 year old refuses to wear a jacket, it wouldn't work to wrestle the kid to the floor and forcefully put the jacket on. Certainly the kid could figure out how to take it off once out of sight -- and be more likely to do just that.

A parent can try to make sure the kid has long sleeve cotton t-shirts, and "hoodies" and at least have a couple layers when it's very cold, but forcing a child to show up to school dressed like an eskimo when none of the others dress that way only opens the child up to peer ridicule.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:11 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Pneumonia is actually not from getting cold, penumonia is brought on from bacteria or viruses. It's a myth that cold weather makes people ill.

Believe it or not, there are people who will actually jump into ice cold water and swim -- polar bear clubs and they don't die from even that.

It would be neglect only if the parent failed to provide warm clothes for the child but it's not necessary to bundle up a child who is old enough to dress himself. Any child over age 6 should be able to dress himself and put on a jacket. If a 12 year old refuses to wear a jacket, it wouldn't work to wrestle the kid to the floor and forcefully put the jacket on. Certainly the kid could figure out how to take it off once out of sight -- and be more likely to do just that.

A parent can try to make sure the kid has long sleeve cotton t-shirts, and "hoodies" and at least have a couple layers when it's very cold, but forcing a child to show up to school dressed like an eskimo when none of the others dress that way only opens the child up to peer ridicule.
I can not agree totally with your last paragraph actually the last two. Soooooooo if your daughter at the age of 12 wanted to wear a skanky mini skirt would you allow her to leave the house dress in such a manor because you feel she will just change into it once she's out of your sight?

Old 01-19-2013, 08:04 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
I will reiterate one point here. Once kids hit middle and high school they have a small locker that just about accommodates their backpack and little else, and spend the entire day in heated classrooms. There is nowhere to store a snow suit. Most school buses are heated. If a tween/teen chooses not to wear a coat for the one minute trip from the car/bus into the school building, they may just survive.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:17 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:

God this makes me nuts. Illness is caused by bacteria and virus. Not cold.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:20 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I will reiterate one point here. Once kids hit middle and high school they have a small locker that just about accommodates their backpack and little else, and spend the entire day in heated classrooms. There is nowhere to store a snow suit. Most school buses are heated. If a tween/teen chooses not to wear a coat for the one minute trip from the car/bus into the school building, they may just survive.
You know me. I don't make my kid do anything. Anything I make them do is something that they aren't doing on their own. Maybe that is why they listened to me when I said, boy aren't you going to be bummed if the bus breaks down way out on the far side of town. Gonna suck for you big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting