Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 AM

35 posts, read 72,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
I never said you didn't have any college experience. I said most of the studies relating to poverty and single parenting say that it's worse for those with no college background, then I explicitly acknowledged the fact that you had some college education so that statistic might not apply to you . no disrespect
Ok I understand now. Thanks for explaining
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 01:43 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
And I hope you're equally up in arms about the mortgage interest deduction, and the lifelong learning tax credit, subsidies to large farms, low taxes on capital gains, and subsidized small business loans. Those are entitlement programs every bit as much as welfare, WIC, and Head Start are.

Personally I am thrilled that my tax dollars go towards welfare and Medicaid/Medicare and WIC and Head Start. The breadth and depth of the social safety net is what differentiates societies where people have the highest quality of life, by pretty much any measure you care to look at, from everywhere else.

And before you ask: no, neither I nor (to the best of my knowledge) any member of my extended family have ever been on welfare, food stamps, or any other type of anti-poverty aid.
I don't know enough about most of those, but in some cases people paid taxes and received money they paid in so that is different. No I don't want to support able bodied freeloaders who have kids they know they can't afford.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
There is a huge difference between early 20's, boyfriend of the moment, and late 20's, married. The title of the thread asks why people under 30 have kids. I think it is important to make the distinction. A lot of people in their 20's are perfectly well equipped.
Sure a lot are well equipped but if someone can afford kids I have no issue.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I don't understand why the taxpayers have to cover these costs. What about rounding up the fathers of these infants and making them responsible? Hasn't anyone thought of this? Or the parents of the teenager giving birth? Where were/are the girl's parent's? They never told her about birth control? Our society encourages these one parent families and rewards them with endless freebies.
I don't get it either but in Illinois we glorify teen pregnancies and out of wedlock ones. It's disgusting because a married couple who falls on hard times will struggle to qualify for assistance but a single mom who keeps making babies will find it is is easier to have more kids. Why they don't go after the dads no idea but some of these scummy guys end up making many babies (we have the serious baby mama/baby daddy issue).

Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,219 times
End all "assistance" for unwed mothers, teen parents, etc and you'll see the rate of illegitimacy and teen pregnancy fall drastically. But unfortunately we all know this will never happen, most likely because the govt wants people to be dependent on them.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:35 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
Badger are you seriously Googling bar charts at midnight on a Friday. Give it up man.
haha! Good point! Go Niners btw!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
End all "assistance" for unwed mothers, teen parents, etc and you'll see the rate of illegitimacy and teen pregnancy fall drastically. But unfortunately we all know this will never happen, most likely because the govt wants people to be dependent on them.
I'd like to see this happen. However in Illinois I don't see it happening because the politicians depend on the freeloaders to elect them.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
By the time I was twenty-three I was married, had completed both an undergraduate degree and part of a graduate degree, established a professional career, and owned a three-bedroom home. Although my husband and I did not have children until our thirties, we were more than prepared to be parents by our mid-twenties.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-28-2013 at 05:53 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Sure a lot are well equipped but if someone can afford kids I have no issue.
Then why do we have a thread asking why people in their 20's have kids?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
It's cultural, in my experience 3 groups of people tend to comprise the majority of those having children early

1. Christian Evangelicals/Mormons - due to their religious beliefs, they believe in having many children and doing so early. Also, since they aren't allowed to engage in premarital sex, there is even more incentive to get married at an earlier age

2. Southerners - many of them fit under 1. above but in the South, it's fashionable to have a huge family and a big home regardless of their religious beliefs. They also tend to be more conservative regarding dating. In the South, they don't tend to date as much and you don't see the same number of singles that you see in other large metropolitan cities outside the South. People tend to marry their college spouse and then have kids after they graduate in the South which leads to having children early.

3. Low income Poorly Educated - They typically lack poor arental supervision and sex is an inexpensive form of entertain and escapism. This leads to premarital sex and teenage pregnancy and children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting