Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 08:01 AM

868 posts, read 1,119,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Btw, unless someone lives in the USA they have no idea how bad the economy is and that many jobs are being taken by foreign workers, both illegals and visaed workers, not to mention outsourcing. We have two worthless political parties that are all about the corporations and they sell us out all the time.
Absolutely true. These weren't issues for previous generations. Times have changed vastly, the cost of living is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 08:06 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,716,463 times
Several of my friends have parents who vow to 'never kick their children out of the home', regardless of their age or job security. I just don't get it. Allow your children to have their own lives and get jobs and budget their own money.... retract claws, parents.

But at the same time, there are kidults who take the attitude of if they know they have a free ride. Why move out and spend your own money when you know mommy and daddy are there to support you?

Old 01-26-2013, 08:17 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,758,736 times
Many children today have been raised with a deep rooted sense of entitlement, and, an attitude of "I Can't" rather "I Can" and this mindset is continually re-enforced by their parents, who keep giving them a soft place to land.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:19 AM

868 posts, read 1,119,372 times
On the flip side, if your parents were kind enough to take you back in when you're 30-50 years old, be kind enough to take care of them when they become old and frail, rather than shove them in a nursing home, or seldom visit apart from Christmas and thanksgiving. It works both ways. Western culture just seems to be about using people these days and not giving back in return, including your own family.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:23 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,351,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Kids in Australia can get jobs from age 14.

There are plenty of 14 year olds serving at Maccas and Burger King.

My very first job was at 13 babysitting which led into working in the parents shop within days. I have since worked -

as a vet nurse
as a motel cleaner
in a bank
in a post office
in a prison
cleaning private houses
cannery
too many offices to count
chicken factory (a true highlight)
waitressing
bar
cook
oil company
wallpapering/painting
and I've spent the last 10 years in Credit Management.

But I was still called a tax drain for having my first baby at 25.

ohhhkayyyy....
So with all that varied experience, what do you want to be when you grow up?

For the record, I had my own yard care/car washing and waxing/babysitting/snow removal business beginning at age 12, right hyar in these good ol' United States of America!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,564,970 times
Because she is five years old.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:28 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,670,351 times
because getting a job isn't like it use to be.. if this was 1999 you could quit a job today, have an interview maybe the next week..now you can have tons of experience and an education and still get nothing.. maybe you should think outside the box and not measure everything to your old life experience...this isn't 90s or early 2000's

Old 01-26-2013, 08:32 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,532,735 times
Humans are the only ones that can pass on wealth to their children. They help their children because they love them and can help them. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 AM

607 posts, read 854,246 times
LOL looks like this thread backfired on MissAnthrope

Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 AM

861 posts, read 1,450,792 times
Because they've babied their children all of their lives and thus the children never really become fully mature or independent from their parents. This seems to be more of a mothering thing though, or as the saying goes, "smothering". They need to cut the apron strings and let their children be free.

There was a similar problem with the GI generation back in the 1940s. It was estimated that nearly a million men were kicked out of the army due to incompetence from being raised by overprotective mothers. This is how the term "momism" came to be about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting