Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 09:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
Not that you're being judgmental or anything...

Oh, the 19th century called, they want their morality back.
Or a parent or anything like that. I always love it when non-parents think they know it all. (Agreeing with you.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Such things are already taught in some "enlightened" European countries.

Putting aside religious beliefs, though, I have never understood why teens today need to be taught by a teacher in a formal learning environment about such things as contraception. I already knew about it when I was 13 (granted, it was probably illicit curiosity), and I was planning on waiting until marriage (a plan that I have so far upheld - now I'm 26). With all the resources available to teens today on virtually any cell phone, I find it hard to believe that teens who are thinking about becoming sexually active NEED sex ed classes.
Kids need to be taught the correct information. Considering how many adults don't even have it all straight, it's a good idea not to let the kids just learn this stuff on the streets. There is no evidence that "abstinence only" education works.

I do think sex ed belongs in school. Health ed has been a part of the school curriculum since at least the 1960s.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:36 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,197 times
Teenaged girls should also be taught about the pressure from boys to have sex, seems a lot of girls are so afraid to lose boyfriends they do as they are asked. This should be part of the sex education also.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Ah, the old slippery slope argument.

Kids should be taught enough facts to avoid pregnancy and STDs, prevent sexual abuse, and understand the medical and surgical realities surrounding legal abortion.

The fact remains that where kids are taught openly about sexuality in the curriculum, teenage pregnancy and abortion rates are lower.
I agree with you I have several examples in my own family where extremely conservative parents taught abstinence only, which has ended in several teen pregnancies. Yeah, that just worked out great

I guess when the time comes, I want to know what my kids are taught in school... so I can add to it. I don't want them to screw up their lives (and a child's life) by becoming teen parents. I'll teach them that masturbation is normal and make sure they understand contraception options. I will teach abstinence as well, but I'm a realist.

From what I remember, we were taught the biological basics of the male/female sex organs, and that was about it. I don't recall any abstinence or contraception lessons. My parents taught me nothing, and I learned the most about sex from friends - not the best way to learn.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Unfortunately, if it isn't, too many young people would be put at risk for pregnancies and STDs. I would rather my kids have all the facts than thinking they know it all based on playground rumors.

Besides some parents being uncomfortable discussing sex with their children, the discomfort can go both ways, with kids also being embarrassed to ask mom and dad. A single parent may not be in a position to understand what an opposite sex child is going through. Far more good than harm comes out of sex education, as long as it isn't limited by conservative viewpoints, but is presented with all scenarios.
Perhaps conservatives feel that liberal viewpoints are limiting.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
How? I was under the impression that abstinence was covered in sex ed, along with the proven methods of contraception. Conservatives have a much more visible platform in our schools than liberals do.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
How? I was under the impression that abstinence was covered in sex ed, along with the proven methods of contraception. Conservatives have a much more visible platform in our schools than liberals do.
I was responding to the idea that conservative thought was necessarily limiting. I think that conservatives find liberal thought just as constraining as liberals find conservative thought. Conservative thought is only limiting if you find it limiting.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
Yah. Limited to the facts!

Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
Quote:
I was responding to the idea that conservative thought was necessarily limiting. I think that conservatives find liberal thought just as constraining as liberals find conservative thought. Conservative thought is only limiting if you find it limiting.
How does that pertain to sex ed in schools?

Old 01-29-2013, 06:06 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
Quote:
You haven't mentioned anything pertaining to the OP's question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting